DIY: really simple fertilizer bottle for use with dosing pump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
DIY: really simple fertilizer bottle for use with dosing pump

This super awesome DIY brought to you by Open Source Aquatics.

I've had my aquarium controller up and running for most of last week, but I still haven't set up my ferts because all I had were those 1000mL "dispensing" container. you know, those sciency ones.

I wanted something better.

Head on over to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick yourself up a couple "all purpose" spray bottles.

For the tubing I had to go to Home Depot for some "microfuel line." I was having some issues finding anything this small, $4 for 10' seems like an ok price, and was more than I needed.

You've got your spray bottle, now what? Take off the stuff you don't need. the pretty white plastic piece on tops slides back.

The trigger pops off easily enough. Pull it forward and up a little, then push the whole piece upwards and it should come off.

You'll be left with this.

This is the hardest part. The clear plastic part is being held in the cap via 6 little tabs that you can't get too. However, you can either tear apart the clear plastic, or get lucky and pop it off... I got lucky with this one, and grabbing at the top where the nozzle line meets the spring, managing to pry the whole thing back and off.

The entire top falls apart now. You can trash it all but the two items being pointed to.

You'll want to cut the tip of your tube at a slight angle so you can pull it through with the needle nose pliers.

Now just pull it to length, and you're good to go. Toss the cap on, and you're done.

And what's really cool about this specific bottle, it has mL measurements right on it, so you can mix your fert solution right here.

Last edited by scapegoat; 08-18-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Scapegoat,

Nice idea with the measured bottles, but one problem I see is that there doesn't appear to be any way for air to enter the bottle as the fluid is drawn off. This will eventually result in a vacuum and no flow.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Crap you're right! I'll poke a hole in them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode