Need to pick some brains C02 related - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Need to pick some brains C02 related

I was randomly browsing ebay the other day and came across a glass diffuser for around $6 shipped. I ordered it with the intent to hook it up to my Hagen bottle and use that to diffuse (fun experiment). I put the hagen ladder in my other tank and am now using a 2 liter to power that.

I know diffusers need alot of pressure to work but i figured the Hagen system was pretty sturdy looking and everything would be fine. It would either generate enough pressure for the diffuser or blow the hose off.

I hooked it up and waited about 8 hours using a co2 mix that was already producing gas but never saw any bubbles in the tank. When i picked up the hagen bottle to look at it i heard a loud hiss and my hand got wet. The co2 had built up enough pressure and was actually escaping through the lid's threads. The threads are pretty large so I was not really suprised.

My question is has anyone tried doing something similar? Any Ideas for a high pressure co2 generator? I thought about trying teflon tape on the hagen threads but it dosent seem like it would really work well. A 2 liter would have exploded already I imagine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Some diffusers require pressures that only a pressurized CO2 system can provide.

With that said, I've "powered" some diffusers using 2L bottles. Remember, soda bottles are designed to hold a LOT of pressure. The manufacture would have to design the bottles so that they could withstand the pressure of a carbonated beverage if it had fallen on the floor and rolled around. So your best bet is a 2L bottle, actually.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pop bottles are a very good canister for DIY CO2, they make a pressure tight seal and are easily replaced if needed. It's also handy having multiple bottles so you can trade them out without inhibiting the normal flow of CO2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Oh, something I forgot. Drill a hole smaller than the CO2 tubing. Cut the tubing at an angle so you can thread it through. Yank it through with pliers and you pretty much have an airtight seal without the need for silicone.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I used to work at a gas station and we had pepsi that sat outside in the sun and those would explode on a regular basis o_O

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode