DIY python ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
DIY python ?

hey.. I have the original python and I need to replace the faucet pump already.. it cracked. is there a way to get or make a heavy duty faucet pump? does anyone have any links to direct me to one? the green plastic just doesn't cut it.. I know they are cheap.. but I don't want to have to replace them every few months. TIA, Ken

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedobarb View Post
hey.. I have the original python and I need to replace the faucet pump already.. it cracked. is there a way to get or make a heavy duty faucet pump? does anyone have any links to direct me to one? the green plastic just doesn't cut it.. I know they are cheap.. but I don't want to have to replace them every few months. TIA, Ken
there is probably a way to reinforce them. you might be able to use some jb weld and spread it around where they are cracking.

if it's cracked and you want a quick fix i would do super glue on it.

if i were in your shoes i would just go buy another and be more careful while using so as not to crack it again.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Mine broke too. When I want to empty the tank, I use either my mouth (yech) or a powerhead to start the siphon. It's not so bad really because since the tubing is so long, I have plenty of time to avoid the mouthful of tank water. I drain the water either to my shower or outside to water the plants.

When I fill the tank, I use one of these, a metal faucet adapter, to connect to the Python hosing. http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod...vd9oNgaOqImw__

Over time, I replaced the plastic swivel adapter on the actual Python hose itself with one of metal. The one in the picture is brass, but mine isn't; I just couldn't find another picture.

I basically got tired of the cheap plastic pieces and put together my own. You could basically go to any LFS or find hosing online for about $1/foot and it might (or might not) be cheaper than buying a Python.

If you really want the drain/fill functionality of the Python, you can get a waterbed drain/fill kit. There were different ones at my local hardware store...some better quality than others, but over time, the threads would eventually wear away or parts would crack. http://mywaterbed.com/index.php?main...ndex&cPath=2_8

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

just went to ace and bought the waterbed drain and fill kit.. I will have to do some reinforcing.. but will work the same

thanks everyone!

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Petsmart in my area doesn't carry pythons. They do carry an aqueon version though. I bought two replacement python pumps before switching to the aqueon pump. It is much better, and easier to use. You don't have to worry about the top part that attaches to the faucet unscrewing, and you just cut off the screw end and slip it over a pressure fitting to attach it to the pump.

This is it. http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...angerflowvalve

I've had it for a year with NO problems. Also, get a METAL thread adapter for your faucet, it will save your pump and threads. I chose to get one that has an airator in it so I don't have to remove it when I'm done doing water changes. Lowes carries it. But their website sucks... http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...or-100504.aspx
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I use this PVC made drain and fill device with an adapter like the one above to fill the tank. To drain, just one good syphon on the end of the hose and it drains the 150 in no time. The best part is you dont have to waist precious water.
I use brass quick disconnects on the hose and PVC rig. Plus you can use larger diameter hose to make things even faster. Its sweet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water changer 010.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	8924  

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I replaced my Python brand flow valve for an Aqueon long ago and have been very pleased with it.

I just bought another "python", and this time all they had was the Aqueon brand. $70 for 50ft hose. After using it just once, I already like it much better than the Python brand. Not only is the flow valve much better, but I like how the gravel vac is done. It just feels easier to work with.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:33 AM
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)
I just buy an extra faucet pump when they go on sale. This way I always have a spare. The python one was the least durable. Right now I'm using a Lee's brand.

Want the ultimate in water changing. Check this out http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_si...ium_drain.html

I have the super edition. Worth every penny .......... if your handy you can make your own.

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

The problem with those is they only syphon the water. They don't help in vacuuming. I really like to vacuum my tank when I do the water changes. It's nice to get any big stuff out and to clean up from my pleco.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 AM
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
The problem with those is they only syphon the water. They don't help in vacuuming. I really like to vacuum my tank when I do the water changes. It's nice to get any big stuff out and to clean up from my pleco.
Yup, you're obsolutely correct. I don't use it all the time but when you want to get the water out of a tank really really fast, nothing beats it.

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
Petsmart in my area doesn't carry pythons. They do carry an aqueon version though. I bought two replacement python pumps before switching to the aqueon pump. It is much better, and easier to use. You don't have to worry about the top part that attaches to the faucet unscrewing, and you just cut off the screw end and slip it over a pressure fitting to attach it to the pump.

This is it. http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...angerflowvalve

I've had it for a year with NO problems. Also, get a METAL thread adapter for your faucet, it will save your pump and threads. I chose to get one that has an airator in it so I don't have to remove it when I'm done doing water changes. Lowes carries it. But their website sucks... http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...or-100504.aspx
does the aqueon fit the python hose and adaptors?

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:33 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

The diameter of the hoses appear to be the same on both brands. I know I was able to fit the Aqueon flow valve directly onto my Python without any problems.

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
what you mean? my vac. the substrate just fine... only problem is if the gravel vac you use is too short, it will suck away the substrate

10g planted pea puffer tank (Ceviche)
10g planted freshwater invert tank
map turtle (Tamago and Wasabi) (moved to a small pond)
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
http://www.compactappliance.com/ADAP...efault,pd.html
i use something like that from the local hardware store, it saves a lot time, just snap on... and you don't have to screw on and off, on and off, on and off all the time... less breakage...
other then the faucet pump it self, everything else i replaced with brass parts, works like a charm...

10g planted pea puffer tank (Ceviche)
10g planted freshwater invert tank
map turtle (Tamago and Wasabi) (moved to a small pond)
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoro View Post
what you mean? my vac. the substrate just fine... only problem is if the gravel vac you use is too short, it will suck away the substrate
she was speaking to the Jehmco product, which does not vacuum.

Torpedobarb, take the drain and fill Kit to Lowes.

In the plumbing, you'll find retro parts available that are mainly used for fitting to sinks when using some dishwashers and such - you can replace all the threaded parts with more durable metal fittings.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode