DIY Stands and Plans. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
TLH

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Stands and Plans.

Lots of people have made their own stands, myself included, so I thought it'd be a nice idea to bring all the plans together and maybe save a little time searching through loads of threads for those that are interested in building their own.

My plans here I just knocked up in Paint. I used stuff we had lying around so dimensions were kind of made up as I went along to suit. It is designed for a 48"x15" tank base but will accommodate upto 48"x18". I based it on flat pack designs but made it with better materials and it will hold anything. It has internal shelves which are removable and I just cut holes in the back panel to get all the tubes and power cables through.
The top has an edge trim in oak which was just glued on to make it look pretty. The base was screwed to the sides through the bottom. The back is glued and screwed to the sides. The top is just screwed on from inside the cabinet like in the attached pic. The doors have a little grove down the opening edge (see pic) so they are easy to open. Everything was painted in an outdoor waterproof wood stain, the kind of stuff you treat doors and windows with.

Sorry but I didn't have a camera when I made it so there is only a finished pic.

So lets see your stands and plans posted in this thread. Comments also welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tankstandplans.PNG
Views:	88
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	8848  

Name:	IMG_0426 copy.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	8849  

Name:	IMG_1798 copy.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	8850  

Name:	IMG_1802 copy.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	8851  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
here's the one i made for my 210g. i just copied bits and pieces from the orginal thread found here http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...d.php?t=136796

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardona1
Ok, after getting ideas from the various DIY stands on here, I decided to make a new stand for the 210g I'm working on setting up. I still have to add the floor, some trim to clean up the edges, and the 3 doors. Total cost will be under $100. Didn't really need to buy any tools as I borrowed a miter saw from my cousin.

I hate working with wood, so I'd say this came out pretty good for my first real wood project. Let me know what you think!! BTW, this will be painted black...

And a preview of my 210g in progress. Still need to paint the trim black...
Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, my first wood project ever!! Here's a quick update. Got the wood for the doors, mocked them up, and installed some MDF trim. Hope to have it done in the next few days...

Quote:
Ok stand is painted. All I have left to do is add the floor this weekend and that's it. Not bad for about $100 in materials

and here's proof that it works!!!!

Quote:
Well, this is just a trial run, will be moved indoors next weekend and the fish will be transfered over from my 100g. Tank is 210g sitting on my DIY stand that I finished a few days ago. The sump is a Del Rey rated for 240g filled with about 130 pot scrubbies. This tank will also have an FX5 hooked up to it.

Pump is a Quiet One 4000 (1000 gph) with a CPR CS-102 overflow box and Aqualifter pump. The CPR unit works like a charm! Tank return is a DIY spray bar. All piping is 1". The drain hoses on the overflow box are a little old so I may be replacing these with some new ones shortly.

This tank has come a LONG way since I picked it up a few weeks. It had a fugly stand and it had wood-colored trim. Let me know what you guys think!!!

Oh, and pay no mind to the water level, my garage floor isnt level

~ Jose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
My DIY

Here's mine, this is my first serious project in woodworking and I really think with patience and research anyone can do this.

I don't have a true plan, but I'm happy to answer any questions. The tank thread is at https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...r-replant.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode