post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
How much yeast are you adding?

My mix consists of:
2 cups sugar
5 cups water
1 1/4 teaspoons of rapid rise yeast

I'm getting almost 1 bubble/sec. What about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
mine is the same as yours, but I use less water.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:22 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use a little over 1/2 tsp, 2 1/2 cups sugar, and 5 cups water. Seems to give me fantastic bubbles for about 6 days, then I change it out the afternoon of the 7th.

I did a generic KH/ph test and came back with 30-38ppm in my 55 gallon tank with 4 2 liters running through 2 diffusers even with 3 HOB filters and an oxygen pump running for about 4 hours a day.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm using 2 cups sugar, 6 cups water (dechlorinated), 1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses, 1 beef boullion cube, 1/8 tsp baking soda and 1/8 tsp yeast in a 2L bottle. I've found the quickest way to get the mix going is to mix everything but the yeast together, then float the yeast on top and hook the bottle up. Starts to bubble in about an hour. I also keep the bottles in a plastic bucket with a 15 watt heater that maintains everything at about 85F to keep the output up.

This goes for 3-4 weeks with good CO2 production, though I change out after 2 for the time being (been fighting BBA and beard algae, and currently have the upper hand). Running 2 bottles on my 29 gallon, my drop checker is yellow, so I'm well over 30ppm.

notopt
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thats a interesting concoction i will have try thet next time re do my bottles
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have never measure the water, I use a 2lt bottle and put in 2 cups of sugar and add hot water to about 1 inch or2 over the sugar and shake it , shake it real good then fill it up too where it starts to taper off with cold water!! make sure it cools off to room temp before you add 1/4 yeast and 1/4 baking soda , it would start up in a hour or two it would last me for 2 weeks , Then 1/2 year later i got board with it an bought a co2 tank and regulator
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 AM

Thanks for all the recipes. I've never actually used co2 in my tank before but about a year ago I decided to try diy co2 and made two one gallon bottles connected with a T and a pair of valves for each bottle so that I could use one bottle while the other was producing the gas. I never actually got around to use it. Kind of found it to be a hassle. It's been sitting in my 30g tank cabinet for a year now and it still has gas. I was thinking of using it lately but forgot how to make the mixture. If I remember correctly I filled the one gallon bottle 3/4 of the way, added four cups of sugar, then in a cup half filled with luke warm water I would mix 1/2 tsp of bakers yeast and a couple tsps of sugar to get it going then add it to the one gallon bottle.

notoptimal's recipes sounds interesting. I might reconsider using diy co2 if I can get it to last about a month. Will a one gallon container with doubled the amount of your ingredients last me 6-8 weeks? Is the 3-4 week production period per 2L bottle? What does the beef boullion cube do? Can a chicken cube be used instead? lol Where can I get blackstrap molasses, does Publix sell it? Is blackstrap a brand or type of molasses? So you just sprinkle the yeast on top of the water and not shake it? Sorry for all the questions.

I also had a problem with bba and hair algae but it disappeared after I got three SAE. The algae is gone but they started eating the plants. I now have a huge problem with green spot algae. It's all over the glass which I have to scrape constantly and all over the slow growing plants which I can't do anything about. It's also too hard for the SAE, abnpleco, and snails to eat. Will adding co2 help me kill the algae?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:27 AM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
i use this

2 cups sugar
3cups water
1/2 tsp yeast

last about 24 days
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoslizards View Post
notoptimal's recipes sounds interesting. I might reconsider using diy co2 if I can get it to last about a month. Will a one gallon container with doubled the amount of your ingredients last me 6-8 weeks? Is the 3-4 week production period per 2L bottle? What does the beef boullion cube do? Can a chicken cube be used instead? lol Where can I get blackstrap molasses, does Publix sell it? Is blackstrap a brand or type of molasses? So you just sprinkle the yeast on top of the water and not shake it? Sorry for all the questions.
I don't know what the effects would be of scaling up volume. When I was informally testing recipe durations, I used 1/2 the listed amounts in a 1 liter bottle. From what I've seen, scaling up amounts and volume doesn't seem to affect how long the mix lasts, only the amount of CO2 being pumped out at any one time.

The boullion cube is in there as a protein source, similar to what the Nyberg (?) method uses the protein or soya powder for -- it gives the yeast the protein it needs to multiply (or so goes the theory). Chicken boullion cubes, or any other protein source in small quantities, should be good.

Blackstrap is a type of molasses, not a brand. Most supermarkets have the molasses either near the baking ingredients or the maple syrup.

As for adding the yeast, I've found that sprinkling on top and not shaking gets the mix going in about 2-3 hours. Completely mixing it into the water, even if well aerated, seems to slow the process down to overnight. By using the oxygen in the airspace of the bottle, the yeast "jumpstarts". When I used to mix it all in (by shaking after adding it), it usually had to sit overnight before it would start to bubble.

As for your green spot algae, CO2 won't help that from what I have read. You'll need to bring up your phosphate level to get rid of it.

notopt
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 04:14 AM

Thanks for the response notoptimal. Will a one gallon bottle be too much for a 30g tank? I believe you said you used two 2L bottles at the same time which should be the same as one gallon. (I think.) Do you break up the cube, dissolve it in the mix, or just throw it in?
Thanks,
Leo.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:08 PM
TLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoptimal View Post
As for adding the yeast, I've found that sprinkling on top and not shaking gets the mix going in about 2-3 hours. Completely mixing it into the water, even if well aerated, seems to slow the process down to overnight. By using the oxygen in the airspace of the bottle, the yeast "jumpstarts". When I used to mix it all in (by shaking after adding it), it usually had to sit overnight before it would start to bubble.

notopt
Mixing it in or sprinkling on top doesn't effect how quick the yeast starts working by much. There is more than enough oxygen for the yeast to work on in the water itself. The reason you see it working quicker is that all the yeast is concentrated in one area at the top and all the output is readily available and immediately noticeable.

Having said that there is something to be said for activating your yeast before use. Wine makers often used to use live yeast which needs to be dissolved in some water and sugar and worked a little before being added to the Must. Bakers yeast is given a chance to work also before being killed in the baking process.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLH View Post
Mixing it in or sprinkling on top doesn't effect how quick the yeast starts working by much. There is more than enough oxygen for the yeast to work on in the water itself. The reason you see it working quicker is that all the yeast is concentrated in one area at the top and all the output is readily available and immediately noticeable.

Having said that there is something to be said for activating your yeast before use. Wine makers often used to use live yeast which needs to be dissolved in some water and sugar and worked a little before being added to the Must. Bakers yeast is given a chance to work also before being killed in the baking process.
Interesting. My nephew did an experiment about yeast and growth rates. His findings were that yeast grows best at 110 degrees F. Thats pretty hot. Being a bread maker when I make bread I put my yeast, sugar, water in a cup of HOT water and in 10 min it's bubbling.

SO - when I mix my solution I use HOT water and shake it. It's bubbling in about 1/2 hour coming out of my diffuser. One thing I learned as a bread maker is that you want to use the rapid rise and you want to keep your yeast in the freezer if you have tons, in the frig if you have a little AND it's light sensitive. IF you're having to wait overnight I think your yeast might be getting old.

Just keeping on keeping on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tex Gal; 07-12-2008 at 04:50 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)
8 cups water
1.5 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon yeast
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

All in a 3L bottle..
Lasts a good month.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 04:44 PM
TLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Gal View Post
Interesting. My nephew did an experiment about yeast and growth rates. His findings were that yeast grows best at 110 degrees F. Thats pretty hot. Being a bread maker when I make bread I put my yeast, sugar, water in a cup of HOT water and in 10 min it's bubbling.

SO - when I mix my solution I use HOT water and sake it. It's bubbling in about 1/2 hour coming out of my diffuser. One thing I learned as a bread maker is that you want to use the rapid rise and you want to keep your yeast in the freezer if you have tons, in the frig if you have a little AND it's light sensitive. IF you're having to wait overnight I think your yeast might be getting old.
Yep, yeast propagates best in warm humid conditions, around body temperature is perfect. pH can also have an effect on how fast it reproduces, with a more acidic environment keeping reproduction in check which is why we add Baking Soda to the mix.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoslizards View Post
Thanks for the response notoptimal. Will a one gallon bottle be too much for a 30g tank? I believe you said you used two 2L bottles at the same time which should be the same as one gallon. (I think.) Do you break up the cube, dissolve it in the mix, or just throw it in?
Thanks,
Leo.
I'm using two 2L bottles. It might be more effective to use two smaller bottles instead of one larger one -- for me, staggering the bottle changes by a week keeps the CO2 level more consistent in the tank, where I think with one bottle you'll have a more variable output, which could come back to haunt you with algae down the road.

As for the boullion cube, I just toss it in and let it dissolve at its own pace. I do make sure the sugar is mostly dissolved, though.

notopt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode