DIY CO2 problems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
DIY CO2 problems

My DIY CO2 is up and running and I'm using a chopstick as a diffuser. I came back today and they're tons of tiny bubble accumulating at the surface. Is this bad?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizu-chan View Post
I'm using a chopstick as a diffuser.
LOL,care to elaborate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
This is very innovative,and clever.
I'm impressed.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Wow, that is very creative. Previously I used an airstone to diffuse my DIY CO2 and bubbles would accumulate on the surface. This will occur unless you use a different method of diffusion or mixing. If your plants are responding and doing well, it is good enough. It may not be as efficient as other methods so you would use a lot more ingredients over time.

Are the bubbles staying at the surface for a long period of time and is the water surface moving? The longer the bubble stays at the surface, the longer CO2 has to diffuse into the water. However the water can become locally saturated, which slows the rate of diffusion. So if the water surface is moving without popping the bubbles, it will prevent local saturation. Do you have any way to measure the CO2 either directly or by PH and kH?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
If you had sufficient surface movement, I'd go as far to say you wouldn't have any stagnant bubbles. Surface shouldn't look like the ocean before a hurricane, but if it moves fairly swiftly without breaking, it will stay clean. Fish will be healthier then too.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So basically add more surface movement?

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
the surface bubbles arent anything to be worried about.
you have a thin layer of surface film that prevents the bubbles from exiting at the water surface. that sort of surface film is very common with planted tanks. if you want it gone... yes, add more surface movement. a little bit of agitation keeps this from building up. or you could go so far as to get some sort of skimmer... if it builds up in my tank i skim it off the surface with a python.

the chopstick diffuser is.. innovative. i really admire that sort of creativity.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 04:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I used a spray bar underneath the surface of the water. Bubbles still collected at the surface, they were just blown around.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
TLH

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the chopstick idea and it seems to work pretty well too. I've seen wooden diffusers before and they give very nice small bubbles.

You do need more water movement though to dissolve the bubbles I think. Can you move the chopstick to your filter inlet or outlet?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you everyone for your advice.
I'm going to add more surface movement today, and hopefully there won't be so many bubbles on top.
It does seem to be working non the less. My moneywort has already growing about 2 inches out of the water in 3 days.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizu-chan View Post
i did this one too in the past. i got the idea of diffusing microbubbles when it reminded me of my protien skimmer for SW. it was using a wooden air diffuser so i tried that similar to this one. the only thing i noticed was that the wood can't be used for a long term as the yeast muck clogs it up. i actually had a grow out of muck totally covering up the entire wood. happened to me, i'm not saying that it will happen to everybody.

- Keitarosan
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bolivianram123
when someone gives you credit for something that you didn't create, you usually tell them who did.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...co2-yeast.html
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivianram123 View Post
when someone gives you credit for something that you didn't create, you usually tell them who did.

i actualy first read about using a chopstick as a diffusor in 2006 and and i bet that wasnt even the first time someone tried it...that thread ur giving the credit to was started in 2008, hypocrite much?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivianram123 View Post

Where's the part where fishman9809 points to where he got the idea? Its been around a looong time.

Good point though...I was wondering myself when anybody was going to clean things up.

Last edited by Naja002; 07-09-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode