DIY Canopy for AhSupply kit (10g) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)
DIY Canopy for AhSupply kit (10g)

Hey guys. Ever since i replaced the regular screw in cfl bulbs in my 29g with an ahsupply kit I fell in love with it. Seeing that the ahsupplys 55w kit gives me better lighting and plant growth than the 70w of screw in cfl's i had up I decided to redo the lighting on my 10g as well.
Currently I am using a regular incandescent fixture over my tank with 2-14w bulbs. It gives me great results but the lighting is no where as bright as an ahsupply one..
I used regular 7-8' board, 3/4" thick pine for the canopy.
Heres what I did..

I- Cutting:
Two - 19" x 3" boards (This will be your front and back)
One - 19" x 7.75" board (This will be your top)
Two - 6" x 3" boards (This will be your sides)

Then sand down all the edges..

II- Putting it together
Heres an image to illustrate what goes where after..

I used 1.5" coarse screws to screw it all together.

III- Vent (optional)

Used a 1" flat wood bit to make a hole on each side for the vents. Later will be covered by the caps AHsupply provided.

IV- Filling the gaps/holes
I had used Elmers Wood filler to cover up any imperfections in the wood and close the gaps (minimal) that were between each piece of wood.
Heres a photo of how it looks:

Heres how it looks so far..

Im still waiting for it to fully dry so i can sand it down smooth..

V- Painting the inside..
Used regular white indoor/outdoor paint to paint the inside.. Went over it 2 times still have one more to go..

VI -- Installing the Reflector/Endcap wire
My reflector was i believe 24" long, so i had to cut it to 17-18" to fit into the canopy.. Then just use the screws/spacers/brackets to install the reflector in the canopy

Next choose which side of the canopy will be the back. And drill a hole (seriously forgot size lol) for the endcap wire.

Pull the wire through the hole so it looks as follows

Install the bulb (I am using an 18w 6500K bulb) and we are done with the inside..

And heres a random shot of how the vents will look like

Further updates will come later in the week when i get my ballast and paint the outside black..

Thanks for looking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bk828; 06-28-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Thats looking great! Wish I had the skills to make that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Mizu
Im just lucky to have had all the tools, hardware available. So $0.00 spent so far. Well the ballast thats coming was $25 shipped but that will be paid by the current hood thats on the 10g that im hoping to sell.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Bk828 -

That is a sweet little canopy. I am anxious to see it on top of a 10 gallon tank to give it some scale.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks BiscuitSlayer.

Forgot to include. The ballast I am getting is Workhorse 2, its basically the same brand that Ahsupply uses, after talking to Kim from ahsupply she had approved that this ballast would work in my application. It is rated for 35w max and i got it from Lightbulbsdirect
Final cost of it was $25 shipped. Though if they were shipping usps it wouldve been $20.. but they use fedex

The bulb is 18w four pin 6700K I got from homedepot for $7. i tried to plug it into my setup thats over my other tank and the bulb is pretty bright. Cant wait to see the comparison of it with the current 28w thats over the 10g tank.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Wow that looks awesome! Show us a picture with it on the tank.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Chonhzilla will post a photo comparing old light with new light once its done.

Update.. Got my ballast today, but since i got class tonight til 10pm wont be able to install it (but then again who knows.. all work gets done fast at 11pm lol)

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

VII - Wiring

So today decided to finish the project (partially) and did the wiring.

Cut the endcap wire to size (normally its a few feet long) and strip the wires.

Next cut the Ballast wires to size and once again strip them..

Follow the directions provided by ahsupply to wire up the:
power cord >>ballast >> endcap

And this is what you should have.. (dont have to be as messy i guess)

And we are done..Place over the tank and enjoy

Dont have anymore photos at the moment.. Battery in the camera died

Future plans:
1- Still have to paint the outside of the fixture black... Dont have time right now so leave it as is..
2- Get some glass cut for the glass canopy.
3- See how the 18w bulb goes with plants and maybe upgrade it to either 24w or 36w bulb..

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Looking good. I did a similar project, also with an AHS reflector, but using a T8 bulb instead of the CFL. I like my canopies as slim as possible.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Nice. How was the plant growth compared to the before 2x13 and now 15w bulb??

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
It is a bit slower. The tank went through some adjustment phase (dust algae and diatoms) but now it found balance again. Less light = less maintenance.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Hey, it looks great! how much did your canopy end up weighing?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks redfalcon
The canopy doesnt weigh that much. off hand i would say around 4-5lbs

Im in the process of upgrading to a larger tank and selling off my current ones.. so sadly will most likely have to get rid of the fixture as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode