Instead of an overflow for a sump??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Instead of an overflow for a sump???

Can you use a float valve on the bottom end of the outflow in your sump instead of monkeying with and overflow. I am going to try this one.

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/8015/21703221jm8.jpg

I may modify it slightly to get a little more flow out of it. Just wondering if anyone tried this before.
If it works it will stop extra water flow and keep the siphon so i dont have a flood of water.
The outflowing pump will have a one way valve to prevent a back siphon as well.
I will post pics as soon as I work on it. Any advice will be greatly received.

If you cannot keep daphnia alive...I wouldn't even trust you with my pet rock!

Check out my Daphnia Farm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well it worked like a charm. It cuts off when it needs to and keeps the siphon in case of a power outage and or a pump failure. No need for an overflow.
Better yet the flow does not need fine tuning because the stopper on the float controls the inflow as the pump outflows at whatever speed you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very interesting!

The only draw back I can see is the loss of skimming of the waters surface. But this may not be a issue for you. It would act the same as a canister but with the benefits of a sump to hide equipment. Cool idea.

Chris

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
In theory it is a great idea but that is putting a lot of trust into a float valve. In my experience they can be tricky and prone to failure.

Please correct me if I am wrong but this is what Imagine you are talking about.

In the setup you are proposing the float valve would have unfiltered water running through it. If you get a dead plant leaf or a accumulation of gunk in the valve it could jam up and not shut properly.

Aside from that you have to think that a full siphon has a very high flow. What will most likely happen while it is running is this. You will get a rush of water into the sump filling it until the float shuts off. The pump will then be playing catch up and draining the sump until the float open back up. Then the rush of water again.

Here are some ruff numbers to think about. A 3/4" diameter siphon with a 30" drop will flow around 1,000 gallons per hour.

High Tech:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
So basically you are regulating the water level in the sump? Interesting concept, but like Saint mentioned, I wouldn't sleep well with this setup, unless you have a drain in the floor where the tank sits.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think its more of a calculation of leverage. This I will work on. My first prototype worked but I had to make the drain hole bigger(just in case a leaf or any gunk got into it) and make my own crappy stop out of aquarium sealant. My tubing is 1/2". This is only a PROTOTYPE...I agree with not sleeping soundly with this and will make many more trial runs before I say it works like a charm. Keep the input coming. I will post pics soon!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am scared for you.

Man I am having trouble sleeping thinking about this, What I see happening is this setup works fine for a year or so. You feel comfortable and forget all about it, then you come home and see the horror of a flood. I have DIY Overflows, and I have had fish get sucked into these.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had to make the hole even bigger and used more aquarium sealant but it works. I had fun building it. The only draw back i have seen so far is that the water rushes in and has a little loud overflowing sound (like rushing water). Another thing i did not like was that I lost a lot of CO2. So my conclusion is that it works...but I would only use it on a fish only tank. Another side note. The gunk that built up on it only made the seal better. As far as Gph VS Leverage. Lets just say leverage won.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:01 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Call me stupid but I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I was trying to picture it in my head but got lost along the way. Pics would help, a video would be even better .
What's the point of this diy project? I'm guessing it turns on and off the pump continuously saving energy as well as keeping the siphon going in case of a power outage?
I would like to see your setup. What kind of filter do you use. wet/dry. hob, canister? As for the people worried about the float valve clogging and failing, I believe there's a sensor type float valve that's completely covered and senses the liquid levels. Unlike the float valves that move up and down, these won't clog. A bit more expensive but well worth it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoslizards View Post
I believe there's a sensor type float valve that's completely covered and senses the liquid levels. Unlike the float valves that move up and down, these won't clog. A bit more expensive but well worth it.
What happens during a power outage with something like this... my guess lots of water on the floor.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This was my cheap attempt not to have an overflow. It worked but it out gassed my CO2. In conclusion there are better and easier ways.
If the power went out the float would completely stop the flow of water when the refuge water got too high. I.E. no wet floors;but remember you need a one way valve on your pump so it's back siphon wont cause and overflow to.
Lets just say I gave up on this tore it apart and started a geyser pump instead. (Just google image geyser pump and you'll know what i am talkin about)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode