DIY Tank Question(Lap Jointing) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
DIY Tank Question(Lap Jointing)

Okay i talked to my father today who is a mister do it all and he suggest lap jointing which i dont know if anyone knows what it is and it is hard to explain but i have a pic so maybe that will help.

The idea is for my diy tank stand where i was having a problem attaching the top frame to the legs and the bottom frame to the legs it would just be kind of complicated with screws and all. So he suggest that you cut a part of the out say 2 inches down and you do the same thing to the other 2*4 that you are going to connect and basically u just put the two peices together a screw them together.
here is a pic please let e know i yall think this would work??

the two larger ones are how the wood would be cut and the middle ones kind of shows you how they would fit together

Texas A&M-Commerce Track & Field
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
All you need is a "floater". Much simpler than the lap jointing and probably stronger too. You have this link in your other thread:

BiscuitSlayer's 75 Gallon Stand and Canopy Build Journal... 56K Beware!

In that diagram the legs are 24" long, and the floater is 30" long to overlap the legs onto the top and bottom frames.... Simple and effective.... No need for a woodshop.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
A lap joint will work just fine & will actually support more weight. I've used this joint on a number of different projects such as work benches, aquarium stands & shelving units. The cross piece will now rest on the leg rather than the mechanical fastener used to join the 2 pieces as in the other method. It will also lock the pieces together & help make the stand stronger. Both systems are good, but a lap joint won't require as much lumber, it'll reduce the weight of the stand, and provide more space under the tank.

HEY! Your sleeves are wet.

"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast."-Anonymous

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so with lap jointing you would or wouldnt need the folating boards bc i got the wood for the floating boards and if they can be used for extra support that would be fine. Do you think it would take away from the purpose of lap jointing?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Planted Member

The floater as it's been called isn't necessary with lap joints since the joint itself overlaps. A better term than floater would be a nailing strip or nailing plate. The pupose of that piece is to join the two pieces of wood that are at 90 degrees of one another. It's also easier to make the joint with the plates rather than a lap joint, it just depends on your skill. If you do use the nailing plate, than you don't need to do a lap joint since it would be a duplication. If you do use a lap joint make sure you have good contact along the entire surface of the joint or else it won't be as strong.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i have heard of putting foam under the tank on the stand to account for some imperfections in it being level. What kind of foam can you use and can you get it at somewhere like home depot or something like that.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

Walmart has a foam sleeping pad in the camping dept for $8-$9. It's about a
1/2" thick blue pad.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
josh1604 -

Did you decide to go with lap joints? It sounds very interesting. I just watched a show last week about using and making effective lap joints. Seems like a very effective method to join wood.

If you go this route, you should post build pictures for people to see.

From what I gather, to make good lap joints you need a table saw and dado blade set.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No i decided to go the other way with the "floating boards" at first we sat down and thought about it and though lap jointing would be stronger, but we thought about it some more and changed our minds. We did have a the tools to do the lap jointing but we think the other will be simpler and stronger. We have the top frame, bottom, frame, and the legs together we just need to assemble everything. I will keep yall posted with some pics hopefully. I am basing my design off of the one you built just becasue i lack creativity lol We are doing some things different in the structural design with the legs. I will post some pics through out the process.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode