Tank Stand Repair - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Tank Stand Repair

I had posted this a while back over on the NJAGC website, but figured that it might be useful to some of you.

I had a leak a long time ago, and although I did the best I could to get up all the moisture, the stand obviously retained some of it.

So....

My stand warped. I think the warping became more apparent after I had drained the tank for a redo and the stand had the opportunity to flex. The severity of the warp was not really bad, however the way it warped was enough for me to be concerned over the structural integrity of the stand in the future (as well as the fact that the doors barely opened).

I failed to take a picture of the stand with the bottom front brace still on (sorry), but you can see below in one of the pictures with it removed and you can see the warping of the tank bottom plywood (the front piece was not so severe, but you get the picture).

So, I removed the front piece, being careful not to break the other parts of the base.

I used 5/4 plank stock to make the repair. Using the older piece as a template, I carefully traced the shape of the bow. (If you look closely you can see the warp on the existing piece)

I cut that out, and made the appropriate notches to accept the front and sides. (notice the warping of the plywood on the base)

the dry fit to make adjustments...

Next. I wanted to really stabilize the base more. The existing stand transfered the tank loads to the outside braces, but I wanted a more monolithic base so if the stand tries to warp again, there is some additional resistance against it. So I chose 3/4" plywood. I traced the base, then cut to fit.

I did a little sanding and patched any seems with joint filler then sanded to a nice finish.

I added an additional center brace between the doors as you can see. This spot was the primary reason for the warpage before because of the poor placement and connections of the joints. So, a little more "meat" here should go a long way.

And the finished product....

Not 100% thrilled with it, but for the POS stand that it is, it suffices.

This was an interesting little DIY. It does require some patience and a few tools. But it IS doable to anyone with at least a little bit of know how. I did add 1/2" plywood backing to the stand to further reinforce the stand and keep it from racking.

So, I took a "plain jane" off the shelf stand and gave it a little TLC and some beef. Should be good to go until my next leak!

Hope this helps someone down the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
gmccreedy -

Thats awesome man! I think you did a fantastic job making the repairs! I would love to get a hold of a bowfront stand just to use it as a guide to build my own. It looks like you would have absolutely no problem doing so.

Did you use a bandsaw for any of those cuts?

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
gmccreedy -

Thats awesome man! I think you did a fantastic job making the repairs! I would love to get a hold of a bowfront stand just to use it as a guide to build my own. It looks like you would have absolutely no problem doing so.

Did you use a bandsaw for any of those cuts?

Thanks man.

Bandsaw would have been nice. Just a scroll saw. Very slowly. When I got it on the stand, I hit it with a belt sander to take out some of the small "hick ups".

This stand is for a 72 AGA Bowfront.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Very Nice!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Thanks Naja.

FWIW this was completed a few months ago and have not had any problems since. Still have a slight tweak on the right door that just won't go away, but o well. You can't have everything.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Well executed! Very well done, I really like the pictorial journey through the whole thing
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Well executed! Very well done, I really like the pictorial journey through the whole thing
Thank you sir! (The picture journal was kind of done also so I could remember my steps in case I screwed up the stand really bad, ie it fell apart)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode