I had posted this a while back over on the NJAGC website, but figured that it might be useful to some of you.
I had a leak a long time ago, and although I did the best I could to get up all the moisture, the stand obviously retained some of it.
My stand warped. I think the warping became more apparent after I had drained the tank for a redo and the stand had the opportunity to flex. The severity of the warp was not really bad, however the way it warped was enough for me to be concerned over the structural integrity of the stand in the future (as well as the fact that the doors barely opened).
I failed to take a picture of the stand with the bottom front brace still on (sorry), but you can see below in one of the pictures with it removed and you can see the warping of the tank bottom plywood (the front piece was not so severe, but you get the picture).
So, I removed the front piece, being careful not to break the other parts of the base.
I used 5/4 plank stock to make the repair. Using the older piece as a template, I carefully traced the shape of the bow. (If you look closely you can see the warp on the existing piece)
I cut that out, and made the appropriate notches to accept the front and sides. (notice the warping of the plywood on the base)
the dry fit to make adjustments...
Next. I wanted to really stabilize the base more. The existing stand transfered the tank loads to the outside braces, but I wanted a more monolithic base so if the stand tries to warp again, there is some additional resistance against it. So I chose 3/4" plywood. I traced the base, then cut to fit.
I did a little sanding and patched any seems with joint filler then sanded to a nice finish.
I added an additional center brace between the doors as you can see. This spot was the primary reason for the warpage before because of the poor placement and connections of the joints. So, a little more "meat" here should go a long way.
And the finished product....
Not 100% thrilled with it, but for the POS stand that it is, it suffices.
This was an interesting little DIY. It does require some patience and a few tools. But it IS doable to anyone with at least a little bit of know how. I did add 1/2" plywood backing to the stand to further reinforce the stand and keep it from racking.
So, I took a "plain jane" off the shelf stand and gave it a little TLC and some beef. Should be good to go until my next leak!
Hope this helps someone down the road.