Never seen this before.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Never seen this before....

This is not really a DIY instructional, but since it is a DIY story I figured I'd put it here. I work at Petsmart and so I always have people come in and complain about prices and such so I tell them to DIY, some people listen with great vigor (I've done a few things myself so it helps to have that knowledge) others complain that it's too hard for them for whatever reason.

Anyway the other day someone came in with a hood that didn't work anymore. It was the size of a 29 gallon strip light but instead of having flourecents it had 2 15 watt incandescent bulbs in it...not something I had seen before and it had be baffled for a minute. The woman was complaining that the switches don't work anymore and when I took a second look at it I realized it had 2 switches, and the wire had been re-routed. Her husband had apparently taken a 10 gallon hood incandescent fixture and retrofitted it to a 29 gallon tank strip light. So I promptly showed her were the acutal fixtures were and told her that she would be able to see her fish far better that way to which she was happy.

I had never seen anyone do that before. I had the same strip light go out on me before and I just replaced it with a blacklight fixture from walmart, just took out the guts of the old and attached the new with some minor retrofitting as well. So has anyone else ever done anything like this to replace lighting woes?

Kevin

Sheer Madness!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Search for Retrofit Kits.

AH Supply
is a big supplier of them.

There are lots of 'em out there and it allows you to add quiet a bit more lighting in the same amount of space (as in using the original light strip housing/cover).

HTH

Thanks,
AndrewH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode