Looking for a big sponge for DYI Canister Filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for a big sponge for DYI Canister Filter

I'm working on a DYI canister filter that was posted here a while ago- https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...er-filter.html.

I've decided to build it out of a 5 gallon bucked with a Gamma Seal lid but what I have had some trouble finding is a large enough sponge to fit the bill. I'm looking for something 11 inches in diameter and probably about 3-4 inches thick. If anyone knows were I can order some I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:22 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
you can get two huge sponges at a hardware store (shaped like a peanut)they are like 2.5 inches thick, and if you can pack them side by side so that they fit snug, they should work

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Really? I thought I had to use some special sponge for fish tanks. Cool, I'll give it a shot.

BB

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Just make sure to read the packaging to be sure there aren't any "special" products added, like antibacterials and such.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I think those normally yellow colored "peanut" shaped sponges are for wiping floor/wall tiles. Not sure how good they'll be for filtering.

Please donate fish/plants/inverts for the needy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Those yellow peanut sponges are very fine sponges, so you don't really want it at the bottom where dirty water comes in directly.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was at wall-mart tonight and came across some sheets of swamp cooler pads. They were about 1 inch thick, porous, and fairly inexpensive. Can anyone think of a good reason why a few of these stacked wouldn't work as a good filter?

BB
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 05:22 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Swamp cooler pad?

I have absolutely no clue what that might be in the first place?

You can get big sheets of filter material that you can then cut to size for ponds and such... something like that?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Google--swamp cooler pads

They are Evaporative Cooler Pads......

Personally, I would have to see one in person. Its been ~20yrs. Same thing used in greenhouses, IIRC......

From the description at Wikipedia--I'm not sure I would use them:

Quote:
Traditionally, evaporative cooler pads consist of excelsior (wood wool) (aspen wood fiber) inside a containment net, but more modern materials, such as some plastics and melamin paper, are entering use as cooler-pad media. Wood absorbs some of the water, which allows the wood fibers to cool passing air to a lower temperature than some synthetic materials.
Cooler pads

To the best of my knowledge, the water in an evaporative cooler in a greenhouse is just recycled--its a closed loop. So, exactly what all is in the pads is a big question mark for me......

Check out pond supplies......

Uncut Blue Bonded Filter Pad

Ponds > Filter Media

HTH

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool! Thanks a bunch.

BB

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode