DIY Tank Stand(URGENT!!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
DIY Tank Stand(URGENT!!)

I have a 55 gallon tank 48" x`12 1/2x 21" and i have it on the stand that was made for the tank but the stand sucks and is sagging in the middle(to where i can see the other side with just a little push down) and it only gettting support on the corner as far as i can see and i need help fast before this thing cracks somewhere. I have been looking on the internet for direction to build a diy stand but i need exact direction bc i want to make sure that i do it right, I need a supplies list including a good layout for the stand frame i am not worried about finishing the outside i just need the frame it right now i just need to get the tank on something else pretty fast so if anyone can tell me a good website with exact directions including where to put screws braces and all that stuff it would be greatly appreaciated i would also like input on anything else you have to offer

thanks
josh

Texas A&M-Commerce Track & Field
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Josh, how about some more info. Do you want a stand that is open or closed to hide filter, etc? You can check my build (neonmkrs 75 stand) in the diy for some of the info, let me know if it's something you like & I can get you more info I've also built a 55 stand that has an open shelf on the bottom is your interested.

HEY! Your sleeves are wet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast."-Anonymous
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i was thinking about using this design

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...opy-build.html

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

right now i just neded the frame to get my tank safe and then i am going to worry about shelves I plan on having the stand to where i can open up but when its close it will hide the filter and everything inside i am just worried about my tank in the mean time!! I saw a website that used 90 degree metal supports in the joints is that necessary. I was also planning on using 2x4 on the top part of the fram unlike the link i have posted since it is a smaller tank

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Solid as a rock as lots of folks in the angel forum use that and close to it for bigger and multiple tanks. Good luck and go build it. Been there with the wet vac and wow cant that make the wife upset.lol
Mick

Anyone can sail a ship in calm waters its when the storms come up shows what one is made of.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ODAAT
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

does the wood need to be perfectly straight or just pretty close, I plan on using 2x4 from the lumber yard will that been fine? Also in that design i dont see where the bottom frame attatches to the legs besides the floater that doesnt seem to stable!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
you can use a 3 2x4s and 9 cinder blocks

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
For a 55 you can get by with 1x4s. I built one 25yrs ago with 1x4 frame & 2x4 legs & it's still going strong today.

HEY! Your sleeves are wet.

"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast."-Anonymous
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

okay what tool do i need besides a power drill, level, square, and a saw? Are there any special techniques to make sure i am making it level or anything to help make it level besides straight wood

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
That link you posted lists the tools needed. Beware of the level--You need to be working on a level surface! Check measurements.......don't just rely on the level....

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

http://www.angelfish.net/yabbse/inde...;threadid=9910

This is about as simple a 2x4 stand there is. can be done in about an hour with all supllies on board. The paint or staining will add time to the project. The level floor is VERY important as stated but that can be tweqaked if neeed with a foam under the tank to help a little with leveling. Getting nervous here and fingers crossed you build it in time.
Mick

Anyone can sail a ship in calm waters its when the storms come up shows what one is made of.
ODAAT
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i am going to home depot to get some 2*4 tomorrow i already have 2 and a half 2*4 and one 8foot 2*6 so i am guessing will need prolly 3 more 2*4 and another 2*6. Do you need to put plywoom on top of the frame or can you just sit it on top of the frame? Also i dont see anywhere where the legs attatch to the top or bottom of the frame besides the floating boards are there screws somewhere i cant see or are the only screws in the floating boards? Also noticed that the bottom frame was a little bit longer than the top frame(1/2) inch I plan on making the top frame 48.5 to give me about a 1/4 inch left on each side so does that mean that i need to make the bottom frame 49inches? I will have all of the wood cut tomorrow hopefully and then i will put it together on tues. deffiently by wed. I think the tank will be fine since it has been okay for 2 or three weeks i am just worried and dont want to take any chances

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what kind of foam would you use and where would i get some

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:13 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
heres what I did for my 29 gallon shrimp breeder-
used 6 cinder blocks and 3 2x4's laid flat across

-Chris

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

YUP have done that tank stand also over the years. might be the way top go temporaily. that way you can take you time with the other one and not rush. Its a good temo stand. I have even painted the brick when I kept it up for a while. No need to put plywood on top as long as all four sides of the tank are touching and its LEVEL. not sure of the foam sheet used. can you take some water out of the tank in trouble? Keep us posted.
Mick

ODAAT

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode