please help with co2 reactor plumbing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
please help with co2 reactor plumbing

I have a sump for my 90 gallon setup in my basement with the tank on the first floor. I currently have a 1" return line going into a 2" co2 reactor filled with bio balls, which then goes back to a 1" pipe to the tank. All the return water goes through it which sort of slows my water flow. How can I pipe this so only a portion of the return water goes through the reactor. I know I can use 2 tee fittings, one before and one after the reactor. Is there a better way? I'm mainly concerned which achiving proper flow through the reactor. since water goes in the path of least resistance too much may go through the pipe with no bio balls.

90 gallon planted rainbow fish/ community tank, pressurized C02, 2.8 wpg cf, eco-complete,

1-20 gallon breeding/growout
2-15 gallon breeding/growout
4-10 gallon breeding/growout

currently breeding hi fin red eye swordtails, kribensis, orange platys, trying others
DIY central sump filter w/auto water changing and auto water top off, DIY in-line co2 reactor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I might recommend a venturi after the reactor.

The venturi creates a point of low pressure so that it will draw the water through the reactor. Then simply use the ball valve to control the flow to get the right amount of CO2 into the tank.

You can find a venturi on your Python or on the net.

Thanks,
AndrewH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Regardless of the venturi, Andrew has the right idea. Except: I would put the ball valve in the main line in between the Tee and the Venturi (Using his diagram and no actul venturi--just another Tee).

Also, I would spend a few dollars more and use a Gate valve---much easier to adjust precisely.......You'll be able to tweak it to perfection.....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
Regardless of the venturi, Andrew has the right idea. Except: I would put the ball valve in the main line in between the Tee and the Venturi (Using his diagram and no actul venturi--just another Tee).

Also, I would spend a few dollars more and use a Gate valve---much easier to adjust precisely.......You'll be able to tweak it to perfection.....

Actaully, putting a valve between the two tees would only allow you to adjust the flow going to the tank and through the reactor, but wouldn't allow you to completely take out the reactor if you want/need.

Additional to my design above, I would also suggest having a second valve below the reactor so to be able to isolate it and I would also add some quick disconnects between both valves and the reactor so you can take it out if needed (say for cleaning/flushing, etc.).

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyglyder View Post
since water goes in the path of least resistance too much may go through the pipe with no bio balls.
Hi Andrew,

You are over looking the path of least resistance. In order to manipulate the flow, and be able to isolate the reactor--3 valves would be needed....

There is nothing wrong with doing both, but the OP didn't inquire about also being able to isolate the reactor if needed or desired. It is a good option though. However, in order to simply manipulate the flow--only one valve is needed--and its needed between the tees....Exception would be with high enough flow....like that used for a venturi setup.

EDIT: Also, the reactor would not function properly as it is in your diagram. The flow would need to come from the bottom Tee to the top of the reactor and then from the bottom of the reactor to the top Tee. Tubing would probably be the simplist way to accomplish that, I would think.....

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good points, your right!

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
thanks for your help. this will work out well. I'm going to use a gate valve between the 2 Tees this should help dial in flow.

90 gallon planted rainbow fish/ community tank, pressurized C02, 2.8 wpg cf, eco-complete,

1-20 gallon breeding/growout
2-15 gallon breeding/growout
4-10 gallon breeding/growout

currently breeding hi fin red eye swordtails, kribensis, orange platys, trying others
DIY central sump filter w/auto water changing and auto water top off, DIY in-line co2 reactor.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode