iAqua: My Touch Interface Aquarium Controller (Arduino) - Page 91 - The Planted Tank Forum
 198Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1351 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 02:21 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello,

Amazing project, just setting up my aquarium and will start assembling this project.

MrMan is possible to you share your files in another location, because for me is inaccessible.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Question for those that have one working. About how much current at 12V are you seeing? I'm seeing about 270mA. I ask because my 5V regulator gets a bit warm. Not hot enough to damage anything, but I'd say about 110F. I've had it running for a couple days without incident, but am thinking of putting a small heat sink on it.

I've been all through the board looking for shorts, and cannot find anything. I'm not sure how much current the 2560 takes. If I power it from the 2560 nothing gets warm, but that only gives us 5V.

thanks
david
post #1353 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
can you be more specific about the currents you are measuring? What adapter do you use?
I do not recall from top of my head all the currents, but i recall having the same problem, and eventually decided to split the power, one 12v adapter for pumps, and one for everything else, powered at 5-6v directly, with a 5v regulator, 1500-2000mA (?)

46 Bowfront:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1354 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't have any pumps running at all, just the board, screen and temperature sensor.

I placed a 5ohm 5watt resistor in series with the 12V input and just measured the current through the resistor.

david
post #1355 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

how about the relay?
if only the board and screen, then yes, even then the regulator 12v -> 5v will get hot. I would suggest to use directly a 5v adapter, if there are no pumps in your project.

46 Bowfront:

post #1356 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Eventually I will use the relay board and dosing pumps. Just for now I'm trying to make sure everything else is working OK.

I'll get a small heatsink and continue on.

david
post #1357 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV View Post
Question for those that have one working. About how much current at 12V are you seeing? I'm seeing about 270mA. I ask because my 5V regulator gets a bit warm. Not hot enough to damage anything, but I'd say about 110F. I've had it running for a couple days without incident, but am thinking of putting a small heat sink on it.

I've been all through the board looking for shorts, and cannot find anything. I'm not sure how much current the 2560 takes. If I power it from the 2560 nothing gets warm, but that only gives us 5V.

thanks
david
110F is nothing, I wouldn't even consider worrying about it till 60C (140F) since that's the temperature where you can burn yourself if you touch it for more than a couple seconds. The part is rated to operate up to 125C, not that i would recommend it of course. Did you get the second temp sensor working?
post #1358 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've not gotten to the second temp sensor yet. Hopefully today. Also building a new tank stand so that has kept me busy. Hope to install the new stuff in the new stand and do it all at once. . . .

david
post #1359 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

for now you should be good, and that's what i actually did too, but start thinking how to power manage the overall project. if you will put the relay also on through this regulator, then it will get very hot. If you really need, i probably can dig my notes with amps on each component. took me a while, after everything was build, to make a decision to squeeze a separate power adapter for pumps ... etc.

46 Bowfront:

post #1360 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Scheduling lights:
I looked to schedule my lights and have couple questions. I have a coralife 2x96 compact fluorescent light. I run one light from 8-noon, turn it off for a rest for 1 hour, then it is back on from 1-5. I turn the second one on from 1-3.

I don't see a way to have the lights have the "off" period in the scheduling. Is this true or am I missing something?

thanks
david
post #1361 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:20 PM
Algae Grower

I did a quick search for "water change" in this thread and didn't see anybody ask this but would it be feasible to use this to perform water changes for set amounts?

- Add a pump dedicated to water changes
- Put the water tube in a bucket, water jug, etc that is empty
- Turn on the water change mode for x amount of time (do some math to figure out gallons per minute)
- Empty old water and fill bucket with new water
- Put tube back in bucket
- Turn on fill mode

I don't know how the pumps work so not sure if there is a maximum height that they can pump. If this would work, it may allow for daily 1L water changes.

Journals:
  • Current: Back to basics 5G
  • Re-education 5G (failed)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1362 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That isn't supported directly if you are going to sit and watch, change bucket, change pickup hose, why not just flip the switch on the pump as well?

It does support an auto top off (ATO) switch. So you could drain water, let your ATO switch add more water until full.

david

Quote:
Originally Posted by player 2 View Post
I did a quick search for "water change" in this thread and didn't see anybody ask this but would it be feasible to use this to perform water changes for set amounts?

- Add a pump dedicated to water changes
- Put the water tube in a bucket, water jug, etc that is empty
- Turn on the water change mode for x amount of time (do some math to figure out gallons per minute)
- Empty old water and fill bucket with new water
- Put tube back in bucket
- Turn on fill mode

I don't know how the pumps work so not sure if there is a maximum height that they can pump. If this would work, it may allow for daily 1L water changes.
post #1363 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:39 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
for now you should be good, and that's what i actually did too, but start thinking how to power manage the overall project. if you will put the relay also on through this regulator, then it will get very hot. If you really need, i probably can dig my notes with amps on each component. took me a while, after everything was build, to make a decision to squeeze a separate power adapter for pumps ... etc.
Using my PCB it's run off of 12V instead of 24V like O2s. So the pumps, relays and fans are all be run from your primary power supply. The 5V regulator should just be powering the arduino, RTC, LED PWM and the LCD. All those aren't drawing a lot of power, the only exception would be if using 5V relays it would use the regulator and then it could get hot.
post #1364 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I guess I should have stated that. I'm using MrMan's board.

I don't have anything hooked up to 12V, no relays, nothing. Hence my concern about the current draw. I've decided to just put a small heatsink on it to cool it down a bit and move on.

It does look straightforward to remove the 5v regulator, then I could power the 5v and 12v supplies to the board independently.
david

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
Using my PCB it's run off of 12V instead of 24V like O2s. So the pumps, relays and fans are all be run from your primary power supply. The 5V regulator should just be powering the arduino, RTC, LED PWM and the LCD. All those aren't drawing a lot of power, the only exception would be if using 5V relays it would use the regulator and then it could get hot.
post #1365 of 2124 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV View Post
Scheduling lights:
I looked to schedule my lights and have couple questions. I have a coralife 2x96 compact fluorescent light. I run one light from 8-noon, turn it off for a rest for 1 hour, then it is back on from 1-5. I turn the second one on from 1-3.

I don't see a way to have the lights have the "off" period in the scheduling. Is this true or am I missing something?

thanks
david

i guess the general answer is no. I had to update the code to hove two periods for CO2, light1, and light2.

i could share the code if that will help. I also added the third pump.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
yes, agree. but if you run the relay through the same regulator, then it will get hot mine was 5v, tried, and after measuring the amps got that it drays a lot.

46 Bowfront:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode