iAqua: My Touch Interface Aquarium Controller (Arduino) - Page 136 - The Planted Tank Forum
 192Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2026 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
PWM
This has been the most frustrating thing for me, as the schematic isn't very clear to me in correlation to the PCB itself:

The PCB itself isn't labelled with resistor labelling. My first assumption I'm pretty confident with, that the below pads are used to bypass PCA chip if one is not being used per MrMan's posts:

Given I am using the PCA chip I'm leaving these open.

This then left the PWM pads at the top of the board. There seems to be both 100R & 10K0 resistors in the schematic, but 1 set of pads. I couldn't figure out which resistors to solder here. I used the multimeter (another first for me!) to try and see what the pads were connected to. I got continuity between both the PCA pins as well as ground, which didn't help much. I made the assumption therefore (oh oh!) that the 100R resistors were to jumper/bypass the PCA chip and I needed to solder the 10K0 resistors to these pads as they had ground continuity

Now that the board is "finished", I was admiring my handywork, when I noticed for the first time on the back of the board:

Another set of pads! I looked through all of these posts again and saw that MrMan stated 0R resistors are used to bypass the PCA chip, which means I have a stack of as yet unused 100R resistors.

*insert sinking feeling here*

I assume therefore that these sets of pads need resistors soldering to them. The question then becomes on which side of the board do the 10K0 resistors go & which side do the 100R resistors go? I'm crossing all appendages that the answer is 100R go on the rear - in which case I'm sweet. I have a sinking feeling though that I've soldered the 10K0 resistors in the wrong spot and am going to have bucket loads of frustration correcting my error.....

Any and all advice appreciated!

Last edited by wiley_au; 03-14-2019 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Fixed wrong image attachment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2027 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:39 AM
Algae Grower

Hi,

Good work !

Resistors R4, R5, R30, R15, R14, R13, R12, R16 on the schematic (the onethat need to be soldered on the back of the PCB), are "pulldown" resistors.

You need to solder them, either you use PCA or not.

The utility of these resistors is to prevent bad state between 2 states, or a "floating" remaining information on these wire. If the PCA (or adrduino pin) doesn't send a high value, then the resistor pull down the line to 0V (that's why the resistor is between the line and the ground). In the same way, sometimes we need "pull up" resistors...

The value of 10k is enough to pull down the line to ground, but negligible when the line is in up state.

In short words : 10k on the back, 100R in front with the green connector and the 6 on the left of U9 are not used... You'll need to change them...

I hope I have made me understood...

I'll try to answer your other questions later : I'm in a rush now...

Feel free to visit my site:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2028 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:41 AM
Algae Grower

Awesome - many thanks Le Gui - appreciate the input! Whilst I would've preferred a different answer, good to know where I went wrong. Think I need a whiskey before I try & desolder those darn resistors though! :P

post #2029 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Algae Grower

OK. The advice (& I'm sure the whiskey!) helped. Got the 10K resistors removed with only a small amount of collatoral damage to the terminal blocks and the 100R soldered in their place.

Onward and Upward!

post #2030 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:20 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley_au View Post
power
my assumption looking at the schematic is that there is no 12v regulator on the board, so i'll need to regulate upstream of the pcb? I think that's correct? I'm working on that assumption at the moment.
You'll need a 12v DC transformer to power the board.

Quote:
There are 2 schutty (sp?) diodes d1 and d7. Googling these reveals they are to stop reverse flow of current - ie current can only flow in one direction, and the "line" or indicator on the diode itself shows the "block" on flow ie current cannot clow back through that side of the diode. This is my uber technical understanding anyway.

for diode d1, i'm assuming the schematic symbol indicates that power can flow from left to right but not back again. Looking at the pcb itself, this seems to make sense. I therefore solder the diode with the "line" on the left?
D1 is here to prevent reverse polarity. If you plug power in wrong order, D1 *will* protect the board. Line need to be in the right.

Quote:

for diode d7, the schematic is a little more confusing. If i take a step back and try & understand what is trying to be achieved, i'm assuming the diode is preventing flow of current back from the negative terminal of the ato pump, and i should therefore solder the diode onto the pcb as follows:

i am struggling however to understand why this diode is even there? Ie could the traces simply not be bridged? I'm assuming i'm missing something very important here? This would also be a reversal of how i interpreted the schematic for d1, which i am concerned about. Whichever way i flip the diode to try and understand current flow and what makes sense, i just end up getting very confused....
D7 is a "freewheeling diode". It is for preventing backwards current when circuit with ie a dc solenoid suddenly opens. With this diode (only needed in a dc circuit), when Q4 will open ATO and ground's bond, backwards current can occurs and then the diode will conduct it and make this current consumed in the solenoid itself (solenoid, motor, relay...)

Quote:
[edit] looking at the pics i've just noticed for the first time the "dot" silk screened next to the diode pads. While i'm struggling to understand the theory, i assume this is the side the "line" on the diode needs to be soldered?
Exact

On your very first picture, I can's see very well, but some U9 legs seems to be in short circuit.

Have you test continuity between side by side legs?

Sorry for the explanation : they are not strictly accurate because my poor englis prevents me from expressing myself correctly...

Feel free to visit my site:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Le Gui; 03-15-2019 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo and add question at the end
post #2031 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Algae Grower

Many thanks Le Gui - appreciate the explanation. Certainly clarifies a lot of the confusion I had regarding purpose. I am certainly learning a bunch through this exercise, which was half the point - fantastic!

post #2032 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:53 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele73 View Post
...when I connect USB on Arduino and the PC hangs and resets continuously makes the control and then reboots. thank you
Try to change the USB cable. Or check the arduino for short circuit in the usb zone.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A510F folosind Tapatalk
post #2033 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:13 PM
Algae Grower

Hi Sgianim, and to all, thanks for the answer but unfortunately arduino and the port works I tried it with other sketches and it works it's only when I insert usb with this sketch that blocks sending photos of what happens to me and changing mega also makes me the same thing can be for you or for you.

on the porata com

thank you so much

Last edited by Michele73; 03-18-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: immagini
post #2034 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:27 AM
Algae Grower

I use this libraries and arduino ide 1.6.3 and works ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Libraries.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	879297  

post #2035 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:54 AM
Algae Grower

hi sgianim, thanks again for the help you are giving me but unfortunately using ide that you indicated to me from the same error go to understand or it is my USB port or the mega that I don't know '. Thanks again
post #2036 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele73 View Post
hi sgianim, thanks again for the help you are giving me but unfortunately using ide that you indicated to me from the same error go to understand or it is my USB port or the mega that I don't know '. Thanks again
It looks like a hardware issue to me. It's able to load the first image but when trying to draw the home screen it fails and restarts. I'd suggest trying a different SD card first. Also check your USB connection, sometimes USB ports will be limited in how much current they can draw which could cause the reset if it drops out.

post #2037 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:20 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Gui View Post
On your very first picture, I can's see very well, but some U9 legs seems to be in short circuit.

Have you test continuity between side by side legs?
Thanks Le Gui - haven't tested continuity yet. I still have to do a final check & cleanup of the IC pins. The light in my office is terrible, so need the sun to come out so I can go outside and get a good look at them. Shouldn't be too much of an issue to clean them all up I don't think...

Cheers,
post #2038 of 2046 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:30 PM
Algae Grower

Hi MrMan, thank you very much for the help you gave me, it was just like you said, I did a reset of USB ports and I found a Nikon SD card and it doesn't make this error anymore, I hope also in the future.
Now I continue with my changes to the code, which I thought with more confidence. Many thanks to you and all those who help me.
post #2039 of 2046 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:57 AM

Hi guys, following this forum for a while. So I decided to build my own controller (with the help of this forum).
I have a few questions:
1. Why the board uses two different approaches for PWN (ports 2 - 7) and PCA9685? Is there any difference (other than programming part which is already done)? I mean in visualisation of LEDs??
2. Which software should I use to release ports 2 - 7 on addon board (can I edit gerber files ???)?? Will try to use Neopixel RGBW led strip in the same manner as e-series LED. A part of code is already done (moonlight, thunder, sunset, sunrise). Cloud … well maybe ...
3. Looking at code and if somebody knows what M1..M4 meaning (don't have e-series LEDs). This are preset settings which could be set in iaqua or are set in LED controller?

BTW:
I Don't have any hardware yet (only Arduino Mega 2560).

Last edited by vorlon1998; 04-12-2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Additional info
post #2040 of 2046 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:08 AM

yeah me
but translate to spanish too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutt View Post
Hi ,

Any body have translate to 7 inch screen ?

Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode