iAqua: My Touch Interface Aquarium Controller (Arduino) - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 198Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
LOL you're a rare bird, AH.

Meanwhile, it begins...

MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Of course, I'll be waiting another week or two for the Arduino itself before I can actually DO anything with it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
LOL you're a rare bird, AH.

Meanwhile, it begins...

MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Of course, I'll be waiting another week or two for the Arduino itself before I can actually DO anything with it...
A rare bird indeed! Thanks for the compliment!

Woah, stuff! Let the fun begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
The biggest catch is that it can only handle 7 psi. So, it won't work with a diffuser. However, according to my MPX5700AP sensor, the line going to the reactor is less than that! So, it should work with a reactor. I'm going to double check my reactor pressure tonight.
Quoting myself for clarity here. I just tested the pressure between the reactor and the needle valve, and it's only 1.6 PSI above atmospheric pressure. I've read that on here, and it makes sense. The only real pressure is the water above it coming down the flow pipe tubes. That means this thing should be a slam dunk for measuring CO2 flow with a reactor.

After doing some minimal searching, I found the sensor for just $36, and I couldn't help but click the buy button. The hose barbs are also 4.9mm, so it should work with the standard silicon airline tubing.

post #153 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
A rare bird indeed! Thanks for the compliment!

Woah, stuff! Let the fun begin!

Quoting myself for clarity here. I just tested the pressure between the reactor and the needle valve, and it's only 1.6 PSI above atmospheric pressure. I've read that on here, and it makes sense. The only real pressure is the water above it coming down the flow pipe tubes. That means this thing should be a slam dunk for measuring CO2 flow with a reactor.

After doing some minimal searching, I found the sensor for just $36, and I couldn't help but click the buy button. The hose barbs are also 4.9mm, so it should work with the standard silicon airline tubing.
Great find, now on to the digital needle valve! But for selfish reasons I think you should do the PH first

Ehiem Pimp Club #546

post #154 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknight View Post
Great find, now on to the digital needle valve! But for selfish reasons I think you should do the PH first
Ha! One thing at a time. I'm busy for the next couple of nights, but should be able to poly the case on Saturday. After that dries I can put this thing together and flush out any final little bugs. I want to get what I have completed all assembled and running before I start adding more stuff. I don't even plan on integrating the CO2 pressure sensor until later. It's pretty much ready to go as is, and it'll be a big milestone to get it up and running.

There is plenty of time to play with new toys after that!

post #155 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Ha! One thing at a time. I'm busy for the next couple of nights, but should be able to poly the case on Saturday. After that dries I can put this thing together and flush out any final little bugs. I want to get what I have completed all assembled and running before I start adding more stuff. I don't even plan on integrating the CO2 pressure sensor until later. It's pretty much ready to go as is, and it'll be a big milestone to get it up and running.

There is plenty of time to play with new toys after that!
Fair enough, but just keep in mind that if you stop developing new ideas to abruptly the Chinese economy can go into a tailspin and trigger another global crisis.

Ehiem Pimp Club #546
post #156 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknight View Post
Great find, now on to the digital needle valve!
I think there is one. Clippard sell it. I was eyeing it a while back.

http://www.clippard.com/products/ele...e-proportional
post #157 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I think there is one. Clippard sell it. I was eyeing it a while back.

http://www.clippard.com/products/ele...e-proportional
I was looking at that, but I don't know if it'd work.

Based on my earlier calculations, we're looking to flow between 0 and 100 mL/min, and less than 50 mL/min for most tanks. The smallest orifice option looks like the ET-P-05-0950. That unit will max out at 2700 mL/min (2.7 LPM). As you know, PWM on the Arduino gives us 255 steps. That means with the 5v model the smallest step we can make is 10.6 mL/min (2700 / 255). Not nearly precise enough with PWM.

Even if you could theoretically under-drive the 20v model with 5v and effectively use just the bottom 1/4 of it's range, you'd still have a resolution of 2.6 mL/min. I think that's still not good enough. I think the orifice opening is just fine, but the arduino's PWM doesn't have fine enough control.

What do you think? Did I do my math right?

post #158 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
I was looking at that, but I don't know if it'd work.

Based on my earlier calculations, we're looking to flow between 0 and 100 mL/min, and less than 50 mL/min for most tanks. The smallest orifice option looks like the ET-P-05-0950. That unit will max out at 2700 mL/min (2.7 LPM). As you know, PWM on the Arduino gives us 255 steps. That means with the 5v model the smallest step we can make is 10.6 mL/min (2700 / 255). Not nearly precise enough with PWM.

Even if you could theoretically under-drive the 20v model with 5v and effectively use just the bottom 1/4 of it's range, you'd still have a resolution of 2.6 mL/min. I think that's still not good enough. I think the orifice opening is just fine, but the arduino's PWM doesn't have fine enough control.

What do you think? Did I do my math right?

Would it be feasible to put some TIMER ONE code in your software to create a 10 bit PWM signal? Then you'd have 1024 steps of resolution instead of 255?

225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ dual Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Makers 72" heat sink w/ 12 NanoBox V3 led arrays, custom built CC drivers. All controlled by a BlueFish "mini" Led Controller.
, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
post #159 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Children Boogie

I'll trust your math

O2surplus is right, you can change the resolution. Depending on what chip/arduino (due only) you're using, you can do http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/AnalogWriteResolution

If not, you can use a Timer library
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/Timer1
post #160 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
Would it be feasible to put some TIMER ONE code in your software to create a 10 bit PWM signal? Then you'd have 1024 steps of resolution instead of 255?
Hmmmm... that's a good idea! I'm not sure how it would affect my code, because I'm not a super wiz at the Arduino. It'll take some research, or somebody who knows better to tell me. I know the IR library can run on timer one if I move the IR LED to pin 11. Other than that I'd have to dig in.

That many steps would take the 5v model to the 2.6 mL/min resolution range, which I don't think is good enough (at least for smaller tanks). However, if you could under drive the 20v model with 5v, and effectively only use the bottom 1/4 of it's range, then you'd have 0.66 mL/min resolution, which should work.

I know you can drive it with PWM because the data sheet says "The valve may be controlled using DC current, open- or closed-loop control, and even PWM (pulse width modulation) to cover a broad range of applications." It's just a question of under driving the 20v model with 5v.

The other thing that I just thought of is that flow rate is dependent on working pressure. If we used the 5v model (ET-P-05-0950) but only supplied it with 25 PSI working pressure instead of it's 100 PSI max rating, would that knock it down to 1/4 the flow? That would accomplish the same thing, and combined with 1024 steps, you'd have .66 mL/min resolution.

I've submitted all of my questions to Clippard. We'll see what they say.

post #161 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Children Boogie

You can also use a TLC5940 which will give you 12 channels and 12 bits.

http://playground.arduino.cc/learning/TLC5940

You can use the extra channels for lights, motors etc.
post #162 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
You can also use a TLC5940 which will give you 12 channels and 12 bits.

http://playground.arduino.cc/learning/TLC5940

You can use the extra channels for lights, motors etc.
Sweet! And they are pretty cheap, which is great. That many steps gets you 0.66 mL/min flow rate resolution at 100 PSI. I think if you were at 25 PSI working pressure, you'd have more resolution than you'd need. This is looking more and more like it's a completely possible goal to set your flow rate in mL/min, let the Arduino read from the flow sensor and make adjustments to the electronic needle valve until it hits it's desired flow rate.

If you already have an Arduino, hardware costs should be in the neighborhood of a little over $100 for the valve, the meter, and the TLC5940. Yes, that's more expensive than an NV-55 and a bubble counter, but it's also precise, automated, and repeatable control.

If I get good answers from Clippard on flow rates for lower PSI ranges, I'm going to buy what's needed and try to make this (after the main project is done).

The only catch I know of at this point is that the flow sensor I found isn't rated for more than 7 PSI, so full automation will only work if you have a reactor, or if you find another sensor than can handle higher PSI.

post #163 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Children Boogie

bah, who needs a bubble counter when you have this although it would be fun to create a virtual bubble counter. The number of bubbles would reflect the mL/min.

Last edited by mistergreen; 08-21-2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: +
post #164 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
My recommendation (free to take or leave): Perhaps set it up with both ways as options: 1) A simpler low cost method using just the simpler cheaper pressure sensor to warn if pressure dramatically changes unexpectedly (as originally envisioned), and 2) the high tech way which needs the more expensive hardware but delivers the accurate flow measurements as opposed to the simple on/off high/low of the cheaper route. That way feature creep doesn't turn a ~$100-200 project into a $300+ project.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #165 of 2124 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
My recommendation (free to take or leave): Perhaps set it up with both ways as options: 1) A simpler low cost method using just the simpler cheaper pressure sensor to warn if pressure dramatically changes unexpectedly (as originally envisioned), and 2) the high tech way which needs the more expensive hardware but delivers the accurate flow measurements as opposed to the simple on/off high/low of the cheaper route. That way feature creep doesn't turn a ~$100-200 project into a $300+ project.
Yeah, that's what i was thinking, and why I am going to build the main project, and get it done and 100% flushed out. I've just having fun with research on my lunch breaks. Same goes for PH, since that'd add another $100 as well. If/when I add those things in the future, I figured I'd just tag them on top of the other info panels on the home screen. If you didn't have them, just don't show them. Conceptually, something like this:

Then I can't add anything new. I'm out of home screen space.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode