My new 12" cube project (Update 6/26) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
My new 12" cube project (Update 6/26)

My first DIY tank.

After lots of research, and 1 attempt with bad sealant, I think I finally have my cube together. Its bottom drilled (which is why I couldn't just order one), and has been holding water for a day now.

I'm going on vacation for a week, so if its still holding water when I get back, I'll hook up the filter, run it for a while to see what it does.

If its still holding water, I'll build a stand for it, and try out some scaping.

Just wanted to share...

Last edited by alang; 06-27-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Banned

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
looks great!!!!! With this quality seams and stuff, you should make these and sell them?
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Thats awesome!

I'm too scared to build my own tank xP. Btw, what sealant did you end up using?

I would buy it although shipping would probably be a killer.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I used GE 100% silicone this time.

Don't be scared to try this. The only expensive part was the drilled bottom. The other pieces cost less that $4 each. If you don't mind visible hoses or an HOB filter, you could make one yourself for around $25 (glass and silicone). If it doesn't work the first time, cut it apart and try again (like I had to do). Worst case, you give up and you're out less than the cost of a trip for 2 to the movies.

The glass store accidentally made me 2 bottoms (12" x 12" x 1/4" w/2 holes drilled). If anyone is interested in risking shipping it (I could make a little wooden crate for it out of scrape) or your local in San Diego and want to pick it up. I'd be willing to make a good deal for it.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Before you go on vacation, I'd suggest you move the cube somewhere over a drain, or outdoors.

What kind of glass did you get? wonder if its hard to acquire them "starfire" glass.

Please donate fish/plants/inverts for the needy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alang View Post
My first DIY tank. Its bottom drilled (which is why I couldn't just order one), and has been holding water for a day now.
Just curious: could you have ordered one and then drilled the bottom? I guess if it wouldn't have worked out it would have been much more $$ lost, but...if this doesn't work out, always an idea.

good work, though. i guess we'll see if it holds together? I could never trust myself to build anything that needed to hold water unless it were to be situated a)outside or b)in the bathtub.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to nate_mcnasty
how are you going to plumb this i don't under stand why you would drill the bottom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slowly but surly

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I built it myself becuse I couldn't find anyone that would drill a tank that was already put together. I couldn't find an acrylic that I liked either (which I could have drilled myself). Besides, its more satisfying to make your own stuff.

The tank is currently at the opening of my garage. When I first filled it, one of the pipes fell off (its just pressure fitted for now). The bucket under the tank holds almost the entire contents of the tank, and any overflow just runs under the door and down the driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_mcnasty View Post
how are you going to plumb this i don't under stand why you would drill the bottom
You build a stand that has holes in it that match the tank. That way you can hide everything in the stand. An inline heater and canister filter, and all you can see is glass and its contents:

Here is what gave me the idea:

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to nate_mcnasty
so its going to be open holes at the bottom???

none the less very cool

slowly but surly

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
I'm so tempted to make my own now xD

Any tips on how to get all the pieces of glass up at once? I assume you would need more than two hands unless you had some type of equipment

I wonder if my homedepot/lowes cuts glass for free...
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraGuppy View Post
I'm so tempted to make my own now xD

Any tips on how to get all the pieces of glass up at once? I assume you would need more than two hands unless you had some type of equipment

I wonder if my homedepot/lowes cuts glass for free...
I tried the "put silicone on the glass and then stick together by hand" on my first attempt, and not only did I make a hugh mess, the sides weren't aligned as well as they could have been.

What I did the second time was to put rubber spacers between the panes and tape them together with packing tape. Lots of it. The spacers were the size of the seam I wanted. I had to do some creative application of tape on the corners to insure that the alignment stayed correct after the spacers were removed.

After the tank was taped together, I removed the spacers and just used a caulking gun to apply the silicone from the inside, making sure the silicone made it all the way through to the outside of each joint. Once it set, I just trimmed the extra silicone from the outside and the result was very clean looking seals.

HD/Lowes might cut glass, but a real glass supplier will cut it and dio a "shop" polish on the edges. It smooths them out but leaves them square (as opposed to the rounded edges you see on glass shelving). A much better result, and no sharp edges to worry about.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
im totally gonna try and do this
what type of filter are you gonna be using?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice cabinet saw you got there ...
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Definitely a great concept and idea!

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any updates??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode