Piston/Gear pumps as alternative to peristaltic - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Piston/Gear pumps as alternative to peristaltic

Has anyone tried a gear or piston pump as an alternative to a peristalitic pump? I'm going to mount my pumps remotely on my water inlet line so I'll be able to play with lots of volume in my reservoirs, for that reason higher flow rates and being further from solubility limits is appealing. Here are two links to each kind, the flow rates aren't ideal, but I'm left wondering if peristaltic's are the best/only accurate way to meter ferts.

230 ml/min: http://www.aptinstruments.com/Mercha..._Code=PG10.005

2.3 l/min: http://www.aptinstruments.com/Mercha..._Code=PG10.003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Gear pumps are used mainly to create high pressure systems in hydraulics. They don't actually "pump" in the usual definition, they just ram fluid into the system to create the high pressures needed for hydraulics.

As for a piston pump, I'd stay away from it. They require more lubrication than other pumps, and I wouldn't want that leeching into my tank through the piston seals.

In my opinion, the classic peristaltic, or gerotor pump is the best for this application as it is effecient, good with small flow rates, and requires very little lubrication.

I am aware that you can get bio-safe lubes. But they go rancid quickly, and I still wouldn't want it going into my tank.

33G: Eheim 2224, Finally have pressurized Co2 and Reactor
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

These are pretty small benign units...no oilfield gear! Have a look at the links unless I'm missing something...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
No I think you're right. Looks like the units are oil free. I looked into these a little more and it looks like the DC versions will run on variable voltage very well. Could prove very good for fert dosing. Also these pumps don't appear to be a standard gear pump, they are a Gerotor, or Gyrating Rotor Pump.

33G: Eheim 2224, Finally have pressurized Co2 and Reactor
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Personally, I'm really not happy with my order from APT. I really don't think I will be ordering from them again, or recommending them. The order took a month to ship and a few phone calls. I ordered 2 identical pumps--but they are not identical. One pump randomly slips gear--or whatever ya want to call it--so, I really don't know if that pump is working on any given day. The pumps are for AUTO-dosing---meaning I should be able to forget about it. No such luck. That one pump is always in the back of my mind. Waiting for algae to show up, so I can say "Hey, gee, I guess the pos pump decided not to work for a while." My overall experience with APT really sux.

If I buy any more in the future, I'm going to look into a bellow-type pump. Here's an example:

Iwaki Micro Bellows Pump. Model # 2KB-2X

That's just an example to give an idea of what they are. They come in all shapes and sizes and I've seen some that would work great for PT dosing. I almost bought one, but was busy buying other (PC) stuff. You have to find what you need, but there's an example....

APT?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wohoo, found and bought one on Ebay, here it is, at $25 plus shipping it'll rival the Wasserpump for cost effectiveness!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...0%3D%26fvi%3D1
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Sweet--Very Sweet. Please do let us know how it works out! From looking at the label--it appears to move 75-90ml/min. A gallon jug should last a month.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, the rate looks about right to me, I'm hoping it can withstand a little bit of head so I can mount in high up in the basement with large fert reservoirs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode