Aquarium safe silicon grease??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Aquarium safe silicon grease???

I read on here somewhere that silicon grease was safe for aquarium use.

Is this true?

What kind of silicon grease and where do I get it? The only thing I have found locally was a silicon spray lubricant, but it contained petroleum distilates, which is a no-no (can you say 'oil spill'?).

I did find some 'dielectric grease' in an auto parts store, which I beleive is silicon based, but the package did not list the ingredients so I did not buy it.

What I want to do is lubricate PVC threads. When test fitting the PVC I find that it goes part way and then gets stuck before it is tight enough to be water tight. Would it be ok to do this AND use teflon tape at the same time, or is the teflon by itself sufficient.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Just use cooking oil. Very little will go along way. Put a small amount on your finger tip and rub it around. It shouldn't bother the teflon tape, but I don't think I've ever tried it. I just use vicegrips, channelocks, adjustable wrenches and more muscle!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pipe threads are tapered so when you thread the male into the female, the threads actually deform to provide the seal. Teflon tape actually provides some lubrication properties as well as mechanical sealing. Pipe fittings don't really like to be disassembled repeatedly. You could always put a union in so your fittings will line up the way you need them too.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Actually, Google answered part of my question.

'Dielectric grease' is Silicone grease. It is actually used to lubricate O-rings.

There is definetly a difference in the ease of assembly using teflon tape compared to bare PVC.

Wouldn't vegetable oil 'spoil' after a while?
[edit] Sorry, I meant cooking oil.

Jim
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolinger View Post
Wouldn't vegetable oil 'spoil' after a while?
[edit] Sorry, I meant cooking oil.

Jim
It shouldn't matter--the object is to use very little. It wouldn't take much at all. I've used cooking oil on other stuff, but I don't think I've use it on pvc/teflon. It should really be a non-issue.....

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
anything considered to be food safe is pretty much aquarium safe. (within reason)

a little vegatable oil is just fine. dont worry about it spoiling either.......

btw, if any comes in contact with the water it will only float to the surface dont be afraid to use it, it cannot harm anything.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode