Canister filter on 2 nanos - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Canister filter on 2 nanos

First off, I'm a complete newb.

Second, is it possible to run both 5.5 and 2.5 gallon nano tanks on one Rapid's Mini Canister Filter? And if so, how might I go about doing this?

I've already got the Rapid's set up on my 5.5g nano, and the 2.5 nano is right beside it.

Thanks in advance!

Dylan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
from what i understand of the filter i would strongly advise against it. that being said i don't use this filter.

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
It would involve some piping and check valves to control the flow... that being said it depends on what you have and how much suction the filter would have...the piping would basically be like a t-valve, one connecting to the intake and another t valve connecting to the return, however the return would have to have a check valve of some sort to check the flow on the smaller tank...

Kevin

P.S. why not just use small sponge filters or box filters?

Sheer Madness!!!

Last edited by psybock; 06-04-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Drawing crapped up so I erased it...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, so far I haven't been able to find any small filters around here that I liked to I thought I might be able to do something with the Rapid's Mini Canister Filter since I already had it. Will probably get a small sponge or box filter though if I can't make the Rapid's work effectively on both. Thanks for the replies though.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
The only way to use one canister on two tanks is to have one tank overflow into the other. Trying to split the intake and outlet in two tanks will drain one tank and overflow the other, no matter how careful you are adjusting ball valves to balance the flow.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Dwarfpufferfish
It could be done, using float valves to stop overflow, but it would be a lot of work for just those 2 small tanks.

-------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

information.
-------------------------------------
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
If its even possible to make this work properly and efficiantly you would probably have to spend more $$ in parts then what you have invested in the canister. I just bought a mini internal filter for my nano thats rated for a 10g for 10 bucks at my LFS. great water circulation and clearity and its VERY small and compact.

My suggestion would be to keep the canister on the 5.5 and go with a mini internal for the 2.5 or....

A couple months ago i removed the pump from one of those decorative waterfalls thingies. It was gonna be trashed anyway. I took the pump, some siphon tubing, a tupperware container and some hot glue and made a mini canister filter that works like a charm. Im still using it on my 2.5 betta tank.

P.S. If you decide to try this at home, make sure you test the tupperware container FIRST! Put some water in it hold it upsidedown and give it a slight squeeze. if no water comes out your good to go.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
The only way to use one canister on two tanks is to have one tank overflow into the other. Trying to split the intake and outlet in two tanks will drain one tank and overflow the other, no matter how careful you are adjusting ball valves to balance the flow.
Have been toying with this idea for 2-3 DoAqua! cubes that would be arranged side by side (used as a betta barracks of sorts). Would allow you to share a filter and a heater in addition to allowing a larger volume of water to buffer against chemistry changes. Anyone try this?

If so, what's a good source of clear overflows to connect one tank to the other?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode