DIY leak into tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to tison 30
DIY leak into tank?

I have a DIY co2 and what if some of the stuff leaks into the tank somehow...would that kill fish/shrimp. Could you do a few water changes and it be ok? Just wondering if it ever happens so i no wht to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
should be ok, but might grow fungus.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
happened to me and i never had any water parameter changes or anything. Just rehooked it up and good 2 go.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Algae Grower

funny you mentioned that dude it just happened to me yesterday...was coming on to post about the "accident" but you beat me to it...i just did a massive water change but there is a scum covering everything...just wondering if there is anything else i might be able to do to clean this mess up short of breaking down the tank and starting over....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Have you tried doing a search on the subject? Try something along the lines of DIY in tank or Yeast in tank, etc.

There is a new thread started on this subject weekly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to tison 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
Have you tried doing a search on the subject? Try something along the lines of DIY in tank or Yeast in tank, etc.

There is a new thread started on this subject weekly.
Haha i was going to do a search but i didnt know what to put..thats y my title is a little off..i didnt no what to put off hand and i had to leave so iu couldnt think of it to fast
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
Make a gas separator/bubble counter inline to the tank.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Algae Grower

in line diffuser yes but what about the mess in the tank ??????any ideas on how to stop the yeast from multiplying????i cant even see into the tank today and i did two wc last night and am doing one right now...this stuff is nasty....MAN I NEED SOME HELP!!!!!! ANYONE?????
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
Run your line to a separate small bottle. Fill the bottle about halfway with water. Place your "in" line below the water, and your "out" line above the water and to your tank. The funk can collect in this bottle instead of your aquarium.

Use a check valve also.

A small bit of white stuff is normal, but not as much as you're describing.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Algae Grower

the amount i am talking about happened by one of my three bottles getting knocked over and the solution was pumped into my tank causing complete histeria lol
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Its no biggie, just WC if its bad and some people run an air-stone as a precaution to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsretep View Post
in line diffuser yes but what about the mess in the tank ??????any ideas on how to stop the yeast from multiplying????i cant even see into the tank today and i did two wc last night and am doing one right now...this stuff is nasty....MAN I NEED SOME HELP!!!!!! ANYONE?????
If the yeast is growing... UV sterilizer would work. Maybe daphinia or other filter feeders... but when yeast is multiplying it does it fast. BIG water change too!

-Andrew
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 01:36 AM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
i think the only way its gonna happens is if the diy co2 bottle is to full of water. my bottles are about half full with the total mixture. maybe if they were 3/4 or more full it might be a fear of it getting in the tank.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 AM

PTrader: (4/78%)
not true, this has happened to me, I am pretty sure, at 1st I thought my BBA had just died off and was causing this white snot stuff everywhere !!!!!!! over night it was horriable!! I read everything , I double dosed excel, and took out one of the 2 bottles of diy co2 I had running, it was hooked on a power head, and I belive it was loose, and somehow the mixture even with a ck valve was gettingf into my tank, I noticed one time when I was re attaching it to the power head some white stuff came out the tube, knew that did not look' right, so far I have lost ALL my TW moss, it was a snotty glob so I threw it out, I will be doing a search now... and I have also added a new diy co2 trying to rid the problem, in the am I am doing a 60 & WC ~!!!!!! even thow I just did one 4 days ago, this muck has got to go !!! I feel for ya dude, just keep doing water changes, (gravel cleans) please inform if you find somthing that wirks fast !!! I will as well, ~~~~~~~~~~
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^^^

wow ... that made me dizzy.

Anyhow, I always wondered what would happen if my mixture got into the tank, it's good to know what to expect. I tie my bottles to one of the legs of my tank stand to prevent cats, kids, etc. from knocking the bottles over. Perhaps it wasn't just paranoia.

Dave
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 03:58 AM

PTrader: (4/78%)
sorry I tend to write too much , and too fast . LOL< ^^^^ sorry dizzy

I got rid of mine (white snotty co2 on everything in my 45 )

by water change, and washing each plant by hand in the sink. I also read that ghost shrimp could help, so I bought 20 of those guys, and I have 10 true sae's on sold list, so I threw them in the newly cleaned tank too, they have helped with the bba, and have not since seen any white stuff, I am very hesitent about using the diy co2, I did add one newly made bottle with a airstone, until I can make the xtra bottle (20 oz) and also make a diy reactor, (this weekend to do list...lol) I would say this was a horriable exp for me, I did not know it could happen, and I am def saving up for a real pressurized co2.
I hope this will help to all those looking for the snotty stuff in tank made from your diy co2, that is why I post my too much info, and I just happen to type really fast , and always say too much.
but I am truly just trying to help. please ask me anything if you run into this problem, as I have overcome the worst case I have seen ever !! So I think I could help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode