Question for you plumbing gurus - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Question for you plumbing gurus

So my stand is ready for my new tank (50g 90P dimensions) and it's time to figure out plumbing. This is my equipment:

2 canister filters
Cerges Reactor

The thing is I want to put in plumbing for a garden hose adaptor so I can do drains and fills. The tank is 10ft from my front door and I have a spicket another 10ft away from that.

My plan is to put 2 ball valves on the return section of one of the canisters. One right before the garden hose adapter and another right before the canister input. So to siphon the water I just turn off the filter, connect hose and turn off canister ball end and turn on hose end so all water is now emptying out the hose.

Then for adding water I split the return right before the lily pipe with a T connector. Add a ball valve to the garden hose adaptor, and ball valve to the canister output. To refill I just shut off the canister ball valve and turn on garden hose side and now lily pipe is pushing out new water.

Does this sound feasible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yes.
Just watch how wide open you turn those water spiggets and do watch it the whole time it fills. You will find out why only if you don't...LOL...
But...the more connections you have...the more opportunities for leaks...FWIW.
I will Ass/u/me you know this but filling this way necessitates using Prime(for example) at that rate for all the water in the tank,
not just how much you are changing.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Prime being a de-chlorinator for city water?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yes.
But I get from your question that your water has no chlorine ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Yes.
Just watch how wide open you turn those water spiggets and do watch it the whole time it fills. You will find out why only if you don't...LOL...
But...the more connections you have...the more opportunities for leaks...FWIW.
I will Ass/u/me you know this but filling this way necessitates using Prime(for example) at that rate for all the water in the tank,
not just how much you are changing.
Yeah I figured that about the Prime so I bought a giant jug of it. Thanks!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Yes.
But I get from your question that your water has no chlorine ?
Haha, I don't know how you got that from my question but yes I have a well. I asked because there seems to be a lot of additives for fish and plants that I have no idea of.

I ignored all the talk about Excel until one of my tanks got algae, then all of a sudden I wanted to know what Excel was. :-)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Note of caution if you have not checked? Being on a well doesn't automatically mean there is not a chlorinator. Lots of small wells are not safe to drink without disinfection.

For the original question, I am reluctant to add too much to my filter tubing that might cut flow. When you add a cutoff to a tube that has maybe 5/8" inside, the cutoff will be labeled 5/8, so it is easy to think they are the same size when they are not. A 5/8 " cutoff will be much smaller Inside and each one will add restriction to the flow.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Note of caution if you have not checked? Being on a well doesn't automatically mean there is not a chlorinator. Lots of small wells are not safe to drink without disinfection.

Please do not assume that people are stupid, I own a magnificent home and I care more about my family than I do guppies and plants.

Good day
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:27 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa View Post
Please do not assume that people are stupid, I own a magnificent home and I care more about my family than I do guppies and plants.

Good day
I have a feeling he wasn't accusing anything just suggesting a caveat to look for. Many people although they are on well have a community well. When it is serviced they usually drop bleach down. The individual home owner may not realize that or may not know that there is a chlorinator attached. I imagine he was just posing the question as a caution. BTW I am on well also. Have been on the last 26 years. My last house I installed a chlorinator. Did here also. Just don't use it any more.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode