DIY+glass diffuser=no bubbles - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
DIY+glass diffuser=no bubbles

I bought a glass diffuser from aquaticmagic and I have it connected to two DIY bottles and no bubbles are coming out of the diffuser- is it true that you need a high pressure to get it working? I guess so cause when I am blowing in it no bubbles are coming either? Is it possible to use a glass diffuser on DIY without the risk of blowing the whole thing out? I used a hagen ladder before, but my CO2 was not more than 7ppm and I was wondering if the glass diffuser can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I have done it with a few different glass diffusers. You just have to wait for the proper amount of pressure to build up. I generally used 25% more yeast to kick start it.. You can also use a tablespoon of baking Soda to give it a jump start in the pressure. You just have to get the lid on quickly because the baking soda boost only lasts a very short time.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have a DIY bottle connected to a glass diffuser. It works, but the container needs to be airtight and it'll take a while....mine took about a full day to start producing tiny bubbles.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I also bought nano glass diffusers from aquaticmagic... if you put water on top of the disk, and suck the water through, then connect it, it works. You can suck harder than you blow (not meant as an insult), so this will help getting it to work. Make sure your seals are tight!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK, I'll try to do that. Do you think that glass diffusor is better than ladder?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't have any experience with a ladder, so I can't say for sure. In addition to the glass diffuser placed as low as possible, I put an inverted pop bottle bottom at the water's surface to help increase diffusion, and placed it under the outflow of my filter. When I first started, I only had the bell for diffusion, and when I added the glass I noticed a huge growth spurt in my plants. So I think it's effective, but I can't compare this against a ladder.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
pressure has to build up in the line first, and there needs to be a pretty good amount of pressure before the bubbles are going to make their way through the ceramic. my co2 line runs ~20 feet on my pressurized setup and i use a glass/ceramic diffuser. it takes about 5 minutes before the bubbles begin to make their way through the diffuser, and i run it at 4 to 5 bubbles/sec.

diy produces bubbles much much slower than this, one bubble to several seconds. and to hold the co2 pressure you cant have any leaks where the bottle cap joins the tubing, or else the co2 will escape here instead of overcoming the pressure of the diffuser disk. try and blow into the diffuser. submerge the disk. try to make it bubble... see how much pressure you need now? this is why it is so critical to silicone the tubing to the bottle cap, and to do a really good job. Do this; take an empty 2 liter bottle. (not empty but full of air) unscrew the cap from one of your co2 mixture bottles and submerge the empty bottle in a bucket full of water, or just dunk it in the tank. then squeeze it. this is one way you can check for leaks at the bottle cap. hold the empty bottle in a squeezed state for a little bit. tiny bubbles should come out of your diffuser if there are no leaks.

if your system is free of leaks then you can relax, as it is only a matter of time before enough pressure builds up to overcome the diffuser.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
i use to have a glass diffuser with diy, but moved on and sometime i found that my diffuser wasn't making bubbles either, i tried everything on my rig from seals to the mixture and made sure that the check vavles were correct. Everything was fine, so i decided to do some experimenting and took off the check valves and then the thing worked fine. I dont know what it was the rig worked fine with the check valves before that but they all of a sudden stopped working and i have had this happen on more than one occasion, there is not really a need for check valves if the diy co2 is above the water level, so check out the check valves you never know.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR View Post
pressure has to build up in the line first, and there needs to be a pretty good amount of pressure before the bubbles are going to make their way through the ceramic. my co2 line runs ~20 feet on my pressurized setup and i use a glass/ceramic diffuser. it takes about 5 minutes before the bubbles begin to make their way through the diffuser, and i run it at 4 to 5 bubbles/sec.
5 minutes? Are you serious? I get bubbles immediately after changing tanks. What is your low pressure gauge reading? I am 1000psi on high and my low side is 30psi

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 07:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i am serious.
how do you get your co2 into the water?

i use a glass diffuser with a ceramic disk.

40 psi low side 700 psi on the high.
like i said. i am getting 4-5 bubbles per second.

bubble counter is inside the tank. chinese ada beetle counter clone about 2 feet from the diffuser. check valve mounted outside of tank.

when the solenoid kicks open in the morning, first thing that happens is the water inside of the bubble counter coil is pushed out by the co2 pressure into the main chamber of the bubble counter. then after about 20 seconds the bubble counter slowly starts going, increasing slowly. then the diffuser starts spewing out bubbles. i have never actually timed all of this, but it does seem to take a little while.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Banned

It goes from my regulator to an inline needle valve to a bubble counter (external), to a check valve then into my tank and ends at my three coil glass diffuser.

I am using this diffuser:

or a Rhinox 1000

I switch them when one needs cleaning.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i am convinced it is because the co2 cylinder is so far from the tank.

anyway, i was reading your post and i had to smack my computer screen to kill the bug that was on it. and it walked away even after i smooshed him.

i felt like i was on drugs, seeing bugs that aren't real! i need to make a hat out of alluminum foil now so people will stop reading my mind!....

the bug in your sig is trippy!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Banned

What bug?

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just started a 20 oz bottle of CO2 in my 5 hex today... I think it's producing more than my 2L connected to my 10 gal! Only about half the bubble streams show up in the pic though. 1 cup sugar, slightly heaping 1/4 t yeast

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK, I finally did it- the bubbles are coming out. First there was a leak on the cap, so I changed the cap and made a hole as small as I could (it was very difficult to put a co2 tubing through that, but with help of plyers and somebody else to pull, you can do it and you have a very good seal- I made the hole by heating a phillips scredriver over an oven burner). After that I needed to throw out all the plastic valves, cause all of them were leaking. Now, after about 5 hours, I have tiny bubbles and I am happy Question- do you now where I can buy a brass valves for tubing?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode