Jello Co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Jello Co2

I came across this on E-bay of all places, also there is a thread here dating back to 2006. Does anyone still use this with success?

"The most important step is the mixture that provides the CO2. For two-liter bottles, our favorite mix is:
6 oz pack of Jello (your choice of flavor)
2 cups boiling water
1 cup cold water
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
Dissolve the Jello in the boiling water, add 1 cup cold water and pour into 2 litter bottle, place in refrigerator overnight. Next day add the yeast to the lukewarm water to activate it, then pour into the 2 litter bottle and cap. This will start producing CO2 in a few hours, do not shake the bottle or you will get too much CO2. Each bottle will produce CO2 for about 3 weeks. There are also other formulas for CO2 production, the Jello mix has proven to be the most consistent we have tried so far."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
I use the recipe from the thread here on my 20 long with decent success. I usually crack the bottle to refresh the solution with new water/yeast every 2 weeks. I probably end up redoing the entire setup every 6 weeks.
Just make sure to use CO2 proof tubing and have a decent diffusion method and it works pretty well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJG View Post
I use the recipe from the thread here on my 20 long with decent success. I usually crack the bottle to refresh the solution with new water/yeast every 2 weeks. I probably end up redoing the entire setup every 6 weeks.
Just make sure to use CO2 proof tubing and have a decent diffusion method and it works pretty well.
When you say you crack the bottle, you mean you take the top off, then kind of crush the sides in a bit with your hands? Then you add in more yeast/water mixture but no more sugar or anything?

This sounds like a pretty neat recipe if it lasts as long as that, but I'm guessing you have to get a new 2L bottle when you replace it, I think it would be tricky to get the Jell-O out.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

When I say crack the bottle I'm just taking off the top and pouring out the old water/yeast mixture and adding new leaving as much jello in as possible.

When I cook up the jello I cool it in shallow tupperware bowls then cut it into strips/squares to put into the CO2 bottle. I use a 1.x liter gatorate bottle (the big one) so the opening is a little bigger. It has a nice flat bottom for stability.
Once its in there for a while and its time to change the mixture it just pours out easily... again I have the larger opening on the gatorade bottle.

I detailed a little of it along with a pic on page 11 of my 20 journal.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Haven't done it since I went pressurized, but it does work. Try using Champagne yeast from a homebrew shop instead of regular old bread yeast. I also experimented with more of a "jello jiggler" recipe trying to get a slower bubble count. Don't remember right off hand how that turned out. Here's an oldie but goodie thread from 2004

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I've done something similiar and in my experience-it is not worth it. I didn't see any difference from a regular yeast, sugar and baking soda mix, so why bother...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
Could someone please provide a link to the complete article. I would like to try this but prefer to get as much detail as possible.

Thank you.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 03:14 AM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
what is the jello doing to help the c02?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
i am very curious what the jello's function could be as well...

using champagne yeast should definetly make the mixture last longer...
dont forget, what we are producing in the 2 liter bottle is ALCOHOL from the yeast metabolizing the sugar, the co2 is just a byproduct of the fermentation; we stop producing co2 when the yeast has used up all of the sugar, or the yeast dies because it cannot survive in the alcohol concentration. 2 cups of sugar is plenty enough. the yeast can not consume 2 cups worth of sugar before it dies of alcoholism. by using a yeast meant to hold up to higher alcohol concentrations we are using yeast that can live to metabolize sugar longer, it keeps producing co2 longer!

try this=
science experiment. you will make one bottle diy co2 "regularly" using 1 tsp BAKERS YEAST yeast, 2 cups sugar.

then repeat in a seperate bottle but substitute Bakers yeast with BREWERS yeast.

write the date on both of the bottles and mark the one using brewers yeast.
then wait. weeks.

i hypothesize that using a brewers yeast we can probably add a week+ to the active life of the mixture.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:26 AM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
my dad used to make beer and yeah the yeast last long for sure! 4-6 weeks if remember right.

im using a 1/4-1/2 tsp yeast, 2.5 cups sugar and 1 3/4 cup hot water for my diy c02s. it starts working 12hrs after mix and for 22+ days. 1st 3-4 days it bubbles non stop every sec. have have it on power head to..
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
I remember a while ago I read from this forum that jello co2 doesn't provide as much co2 as regular DIY co2. Something about how the sugar is traped so the yeast can't get to it. Can someone confirm?

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Its not that the jello method doesn't supply as much CO2... because the sugar is trapped in the jello the yeast has gradual access to it meaning you get a more stable release rate. Instead of like normal having the CO2 output like gangbusters at first and taper off very fast the jello method is more of a consistent flow from the start until its time to change mixtures.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJG View Post
Its not that the jello method doesn't supply as much CO2... because the sugar is trapped in the jello the yeast has gradual access to it meaning you get a more stable release rate. Instead of like normal having the CO2 output like gangbusters at first and taper off very fast the jello method is more of a consistent flow from the start until its time to change mixtures.
+1

It also lengthens the life between complete refills, as the yeast cannot burn itself out as quickly. Yeast is creating alchohol, which is killing yeast.... slow the "burn" of the sugar, and presumably you get a more even rate of co2 creation, and a slightly longer life.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode