building a rather large HOB - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
building a rather large HOB

Well as all of you know buying a filter for a large tank cost too much for too little filtration and actual media capacity/options. For a real quality filter that can actually handle a 75g or larger tank that is stocked to capacity you're looking at 150$ + range upwards of 300$ easy.

I refuse!

so as I have done many times in the past, having many many many spare tanks pumps filters and rather more that a couple years experience dealing with almost every style filter out there, I have decided again to build my own filter.

the first part needed a chassis of some sort to be the body of the filter one thing I hate about filters is you cannot see into them (for the most part the aquaclear filters are semi see through) but I want to see what my media looks like without taking it out, far easier to know when it's in need of a cleaning. problem solved I have an old 5 1/2 gallon long acrylic tank that I long ago drilled with an overflow. chassis and return figured Sorry forgot to take a picture before I started.

Second I need a way to separate media compartments within the chassis. egg crate (drop ceiling light diffuser panels for long) easily cut, easily glued in place with plastic epoxy, and have tons of leftover from other uses on hand. also have the 5 minute epoxy on hand too and people say being a pack-rat isn't useful.

Third I need a return pump. No prob plenty of those kicking around from my salt water days I probably have 20 different pumps that would work in this situation. Once I get the general design planned out I wil decide which pumps flow rate best suits me needs. obviously I have a max flow rate restriction due to the fairly small overflow size.

So after long deliberation on the egg crate pieces (about 3 minutes to figure out what I want from this filter) I started cutting and gluing.

right now I am waiting for one side of the epoxy to set so I can flip the tank and glue the other side of the center panel and the first side of the next panel. so without further blabber and blithering on like an idiot here is where I am at in the baffle placement. (and yest the center baffle is slanted on purpose, its so I can look in and see the media from the front of the tank. yeah I'm weird).

More to come.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.

Last edited by ReefkprZ; 06-14-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: a reasone for editing must be specified.. Why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Interesting stuff, looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

next baffle in place, waiting for the epoxy to cure. once I get all the baffle sin I will label each chamber in paint or something so you know how its going to work. I think it will be easier to show it complete to explain tyhe functionality.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I went to buy a sprayer from the hardware store to spray poison ivy. It's like 4 gallons and built for pressure. I thought, hmmm, this could be built into a canister filter somehow.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok the next couple steps

take some of this

and do this

hang my return pipe on and attach a small screen media bag to catch the largest stuff coming out of the tank this is the first line of filtration. easiest to remove and rinse out to keep stuff from breaking down.

then take some of this

and lay it on this

then do this

the little strip just wedges it in place so I can add more or less polyfilter as I see fit.

the gravel is cheap biofilter media in the same chamber as the gravel I will have bioballs floating above it that way it cannot get plugged.

next chamber I have another media sock to put whatever the heck I choose in, carbon etc, or even more bio media.

and we aren't done yet.....

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

and yes I know my floor is destroyed. apparantly many water leaks from tanks over the years utterly annihilates pergo wood floors..... and peeling the effed up tiles ruins the linoleum they were glued to.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

and for the final step I build a stand behind my tank to set it on (so its not true hob...) fortunately I have plenty of room behind my tank for this monster. (no pics of the stand its just a couple 1x6 legs with a 1x6 top and a 1x6 brace.) but I have pics of this.

in place rio 1400 pump filling and draining I got worried for a minute thinking the drain wasnt going to handle the rio.

about 1 minute after the filter fills you can see some coloration of the filter batting... you don't wanna know how nasty my tank looks, when I pulled the old filter off I wasn't thinking and dumped all the water in the filter back in the tank.... along with about a years worth of sediment...

can you see the fish?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

How is the water from the DIY filter returning to the aquarium?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

this poor tank needs some love after a winter of neglect, under filtration and over lighting... it should be a challenge to bring it back around this summer.

I'm debating rewiring my lights down to 220w instead of 440w vho or setting my co2 back up. i'm torn.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
How is the water from the DIY filter returning to the aquarium?
see the PVC pipe on the left top of the filter? that is just a bulhead and a 90 down into the tank. about 1 inch below water level to reduce splashing. my bad for not showing a photo of it earlier I kinda got in a rush because the wife came home and it drives her nuts when I have stuff strewn across half the house.. lol

in this pic the water is low because it took 5 gallons out of the main tank to fill the filter but I am topping the tank off now.

Last edited by ReefkprZ; 06-14-2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: why is the reason important?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok quick update after a couple hours tank is looking really good....

also Note to self: when fine mesh bags clog the water forces out the easiest opening... the top being the biggest hole if you guys look in my third post or so you will see the top of the bag is at the rim of the filter... major design flaw. so aboutr 6-7 gallons of water on the floor before I realized it. moved it down after dumping all the sludge out and rinsing it. I cant believe how much sludge that thing caught.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update

So far this filter has definitely been a benefit to the tank. the first week I was cleaning the filterfloss and sock daily just to get as much stuff out as possible. I was also taking a powerhead and jetting water all through the tank to kick up as much detritus as possible. after a few days I was obviously kicking up less each time. now after about a month there is very little I can kick up and the algal growth has greatly diminished and I am seeing signs of new growth on my plants. YAY

With 2 plecos and a rather high stocklist for a 75g tank I'm not surprised I was having problems when all I had on the tank for filters were two small aquaclear filters. as well as 440w of vho lighting. too much light and too much pollution leads to... you guessed it algae. now with cleaner water the plants are coming around.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode