DIY stand :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via MSN to sea-horsea
DIY stand :)

got this piece built today with outside temp. around 100F...

it will be used for my 30x16x18 tank...

ITS NEVER ENOUGH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sweet man. How tall is it?

That picture on the floor looks somewhat familiar.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah i got the blueprint from reefcentral :P

total height is 42"

I am sick of short stand where I have to sit on a chair to actually see something...I figure for this height and the 18" of my tank it will be easier for me to plant, clean, and just checking out my tank :P

ITS NEVER ENOUGH!!!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:16 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
looks good, i'd be careful if it it top heavy though

-Chris

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 AM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
looks like its built strong enough to hold any tank! what you got in mind cover it with?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

actually I am going to put my 8 gal. shrimp tank on the bottom...here are some more updated pics...

The support on the 2 sides will be used to support a piece of plywood and the space between the top of the stand and where the 2 support beams are will be a small storage.

one small problem...the stand is 28"L and the tank supposed to be that length but where I got the tank from made a mistake by going 30"L(my initial L for the tank...but they forgot to change it)...anyways I decided to take the tank since its at no extra charge and its my initial plan...

the line shows how much more the tank will be sticking out...I will probably move the tank about 1/2" to the other side so about 2-1/2" sticking out from this side...which is the left...and maybe put 2 pieces of triangle wood and attach it to the vertical beam for extra support...

tank 30x16x18 w/ glass cover in it...

any suggestions???

ITS NEVER ENOUGH!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
I love the look of a brand new tank. Good luck with your project

92G corner - huge colony of frontosas, 1 spotted plecos, 2 spotted raphael catfish, 2 clown loaches, anubias on rock
2.5G - Iwagumi - HC carpet/rocks
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
My goodness. That stand should be able to hold up your house, I mean fish tank just fine.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

sea-horsea -

One word of caution about the board that you have laying on top of the stand. I don't know if you have attached it or not, but it is MDF (medium density fiberboard). That stuff does NOT work well with water. If it gets wet, it acts like a sponge and eventually falls apart.

Technically speaking, the stand design itself doesn't require that you use anything for a top. The frame itself should be more than enough to support the tank. If you do use something, any type of plywood (oak, birch, or even pine) will work fine.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just reread your post...

THAT SUCKS WITH THE TANK MEASUREMENTS!

I think you can get around it though.

If you reconstruct your top frame that the tank was going to sit on, to be 30" and then center it on your frame I think you'll be good to go. That is, if you don't mind the tank sitting over 1" on either side of the stand frame.

Is that something you could live with?

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry to post yet again, but if you used screws you could just reconstruct the bottom frame as well (replace the length pieces only on the top and lower frame, and you will be perfect with your stand size.

Make sense?

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I totally got your point...but the problem is that I am going to have the back against the wall as well as the right side of the tank...which mean the most I have room to move the tank to the right will be about 1/2" max...
I am still thinking about adding extra piece of 2x4 to the left of the tank and plywood over it so it won't show the extension but at the same time looks more centered...

oh the MDF...that won't be used...I just have an extra piece sitting around so I put it up there for measurement as well as showing how much the tank will be "sticking out" when sit on it...

This is the first time I made a stand and to make sure my wife don't shoot me in case of anything happen...I decided to go bulletproof no it...haha

btw....I see some people using styrofoam or some type of foam for the tank to sit on....what is it for? is it necessary or is it better?

thanks again for the suggestions and help....:P

ITS NEVER ENOUGH!!!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:27 PM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
i think the 2&4 should be fine on the edge as most of the weight is evenly distributed on the top. the foam is used on bigger tanks to even out the weight. i see alot of 75g plus tanks with the foam on the bottom, most tanks cracking or break on the bottom due to weight of water/rocks etc. and the weight isnt evenly distributed over the stand top. i dont think your tank will have this worry.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now I have a problem/question:

After everything's done..and I start setting up the tank and find out that the water level in the tank is not leveled....what can I do? or should do???

I remember it happened to me in the past when I set up a tank and after filling up the water I found out that the water's about 1" off....

what can I DO? thank you :P

ITS NEVER ENOUGH!!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Ummm....level the stand before you fill it... If the top is level, the water should be level.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode