What is this witchery!? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
What is this witchery!?

This man claims that a fresh water algae scrubber is a thing. Not only that, but algae in your tank contained in this scrubber is beneficial and will keep your tank clean.

I say he speaks Heresy!!! Before I find him and burn him to the stake for such subversive language can any substantiate his claims?

http://youtu.be/qGLnBvDkaO0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have yet to see plants in any of 'DIY Joe's' tanks. I guess that he uses this algae pad as a substitute.

Would be nice to know if this scrubber idea would work like an algea trap in a planted tank.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:31 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yeah, plants do a better job of 'scrubbing' than algae.

Quick tip on removing nitrates; do a water change. Yup, as easy as that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i think hes basing this on the same principal as a refugium in a saltwater tank. you use algae as the main filtration in some salt systems. but i agree with mistergreen, theres no substitute for a good old fashioned water change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you are unlucky enough to have nitrates or higher ammonia in your tap water and cant have plants with your fish . a algae scrubber is a good option . seen a few external freshwater algae scrubbers no comment on the internal kind
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty b View Post
If you are unlucky enough to have nitrates or higher ammonia in your tap water and cant have plants with your fish . a algae scrubber is a good option . seen a few external freshwater algae scrubbers no comment on the internal kind
Algae scrubber versus say.....a plant scrubber, which is far more efficient than any algae scrubber.........how again is it that one cannot have plants, but can have an algae scrubber?

If you have algae eating fish, the verticle ATS's are decent particularly if you can place them near a window for free lighting, but plants are more effective and need less work/labor to maintain over time.

Been there, done this a few times. Which is why I have planted tanks today.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Children Boogie

If you have plant eating fish, you can have plants in the sump/externally.
You don't even need aquatic plants. Terrestrials will work better and you don't need to add CO2.
Hydroponics use this approach.

It's better than algae spores floating everywhere.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It is decided then, this "DIY Joe" is a filth columnist, a purveyour of lies, a malcontent. Wherefor the lies spilt from this silver tongued devil he shall be henceforth be known as a charlatan.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 PM
Children Boogie

I like Joe.
He spends a lot of time & effort teaching DIY. That's good in my book.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I like Joe.
I was only being playful. Just thought the idea of a algae scrubber seemed counter intuitive. I mean no disrespect.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I agree that plant scrubbers are more practical but technically speaking algae scrubbers are more efficient - Far more adaptable to nutrient spikes than plants.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 02:45 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadKruger View Post
This man claims that a fresh water algae scrubber is a thing. Not only that, but algae in your tank contained in this scrubber is beneficial and will keep your tank clean.

I say he speaks Heresy!!! Before I find him and burn him to the stake for such subversive language can any substantiate his claims?

http://youtu.be/qGLnBvDkaO0
This "Thing" has been popular in the hobby for at least a decade. I built my first one 7 years ago in fact. It was an emerged version, however this one works for more people(being easier to install)

With that said, this thing is also a commercially produced product and has been for a few years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsnork View Post
I have yet to see plants in any of 'DIY Joe's' tanks. I guess that he uses this algae pad as a substitute.

Would be nice to know if this scrubber idea would work like an algea trap in a planted tank.
I dont keep plants. The fish i keep, would destroy them(Stingrays and asian arowana). The fish i keep that wouldnt, i breed. (Discus)

It works exactly as you think it would. Algae trap in a planted tank.

Quote:
Yeah, plants do a better job of 'scrubbing' than algae.

Quick tip on removing nitrates; do a water change. Yup, as easy as that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Nothing does a better job at scrubbing algae than algae. Plants are no where near as efficient. Where do we think most of the worlds oxygen comes from?

Water changes have nothing to do with this video. It is a video on how to build an algae scrubber. Nothing more.

On the note of water changes.... I did projects on them as well. Including automated, drip systems, etc... Those videos dont mean that is HOW to do a water change or each way is better than the other, but rather just ways to do them.

There are many ways to remove nitrates... an algae scrubber is one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaltfish797 View Post
i think hes basing this on the same principal as a refugium in a saltwater tank. you use algae as the main filtration in some salt systems. but i agree with mistergreen, theres no substitute for a good old fashioned water change.
Algae scrubbers started in freshwater. They were based on taking advantage of a natural source of filtration that naturally occurs. It had nothing to do with inspiration from a refuge. In fact, the first types were emerged designs like the one i show above.

Water changes have nothing to do with this video. It is a video on how to build an algae scrubber.

Not a video on how to avoid water changes or not do them.. not a video on something that is better than water changes... Just a video on how on build an algae scrubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty b View Post
That is the point of the video..... an option project that some may find useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Algae scrubber versus say.....a plant scrubber, which is far more efficient than any algae scrubber.........how again is it that one cannot have plants, but can have an algae scrubber?

If you have algae eating fish, the verticle ATS's are decent particularly if you can place them near a window for free lighting, but plants are more effective and need less work/labor to maintain over time.

Been there, done this a few times. Which is why I have planted tanks today.
It is easier to grow algae than plants. For most anyways.

Some people dont run tanks with substrate. Some dont want to have plants.. etc..etc.. Many reasons.

Quote:
If you have plant eating fish, you can have plants in the sump/externally.
You don't even need aquatic plants. Terrestrials will work better and you don't need to add CO2.
Hydroponics use this approach.

It's better than algae spores floating everywhere.
Why run plants in a sump, when you can have a simple algae scrubber that takes up less space, less energy and is far easier to maintain?

Or run plants if thats your thing. Do what you want with your tank really. When you want to know how to build something, or looking for ideas... Thats where i come in with video on how to build different things. Doesnt mean its the gospel... just means:

"Hears how to build this.... build it or dont. But thats how i did it."

Quote:
It is decided then, this "DIY Joe" is a filth columnist, a purveyour of lies, a malcontent. Wherefor the lies spilt from this silver tongued devil he shall be henceforth be known as a charlatan.
I would say there are a few people that disagree.

Quote:
I like Joe.
Indeed.

Quote:
I was only being playful. Just thought the idea of a algae scrubber seemed counter intuitive. I mean no disrespect.
None taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantHippy View Post
I agree that plant scrubbers are more practical but technically speaking algae scrubbers are more efficient - Far more adaptable to nutrient spikes than plants.
This guy gets it.
Eclipsee and Eclipsee like this.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
^ very thorough

welcome to tpt uarujoey
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Hey .. look who joined TPT! Welcome Joey. I've watched your helpful videos for such a long time now. You truly are the king of aquarium DIY.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Algae scrubbers have been used in saltwater setups for a long time. I have a few friends that have reef tanks and they grow algae in their sump systems and one of them has a similar DIY container in his aquarium as well. I haven't ever seen these in freshwater aquariums, but is an interesting concept.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode