DIY Cinder Block stand for two tanks side by side - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Cinder Block stand for two tanks side by side

I am in the process of re-arranging my tanks (only 3) and will be putting my 40b and my 20h next to each other.

I have a few questions for all the woodworkers and others who have made stands.

I have 71" of available space along this wall. The 40b is 36" long.

The 20h is 24" long. At this point I have used 60" of wall space.

The stand will be 3 cinder blocks high, (16" x 8" x 8") with a piece of 3/4" plywood on top of each cinder block, and then a row of 2 x 4s laying length-wise across the top cinder block, and then one more piece of plywood.

I have several questions:

1) Should I use one long piece of plywood to run length-wise under the 2 tanks? Or should I break up the wood so there are essentially 2 stands side by side with each having blocks lining up under each edge.

2) The 40b is 18" deep. The cinder blocks are 16" deep. Should I add a row of cinder blocks along the back edge to support the extra 2 inches?

3) Also I am trying to figure out how far apart the blocks should be. (Math is not my strong suit)

4) Finally, how far apart should the tanks be? I have never had 2 tanks side by side and am not sure how much room a person needs for maintenance.

Any other thoughts or ideas are very welcome. I have little experience with working with wood and will have all the wood cut at Home Depot.

I very much appreciate any comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I often see this in college housing. It is cheap, easy to move apt to apt and can be ditched when doing the long move. Really practical! what many miss is that tanks don't need full support all the way around. Glass does not bow down in the middle when standing on edge like a tank. so if you get the four corners level and steady the rest can hang in space. Most of the weight is not pushing down on the glass but outward where bottom support doesn't change the question at all. Two stacks of blocks turned with the hole sticking up as if you were building a wall, will hold any tank IF the stacks are leveled so that all four corners are even. A twist on a tank is asking for trouble with split seams or glass. Make sure they are even as floors tend to slope. An single layer of wood can be put across the top to tie the stacks together and to keep the rough concrete off the plastic tank trim. An inch overhang is not a problem. I would just go with four stacks for the two tanks and put them under the ends.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:06 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
If you take the 2x4s and make a rectangle out of them then sheath it with plywood you've made a torsion box. They are incredibly strong and I think you'd get by with CB in the four corners only.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode