Cutting Glass - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (47/100%)
Cutting Glass

I'm trying to cut some glass tops so I can put it over the tank and I was wondering is there anyone experienced in using a glass cutting tool and any tips in cutting glass?

I use this tool by pulling it in a straight line over the glass and it cuts into it a tiny bit. Then I use the end to tap it a little and snap the glass where I cut it.

I did this but its a little bit harder than I thought it was. I haven't successfully cut a straight line yet. Am still practicing and if anyone can give me any pointers that'll be neat.

Such as how to tap the glass, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:28 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
thin glass 1/8" is best for those glass cutters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
thin glass 1/8" is best for those glass cutters.
Ya i know i got 3/32"

I just can't seem to get it right lol.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
I just can't seem to get it right lol.
Save yourself a headache and a ruined piece of glass.

Take it to a glass shop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lescarpentier View Post

Take it to a glass shop.
How do they charge for their services? Thickness of glass or the amout of cutting?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonShrimp View Post
How do they charge for their services? Thickness of glass or the amout of cutting?
I was wondering the same... I need a few pieces...

Let me know if you find out Richard!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to nate_mcnasty
not bad i got 6 pices to do a 10 inch cube 1/4 inch for 18 bucks and it was there glass

slowly but surly

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Take it to a glass shop.
It's always a neat idea to gather skills, even small ones.

If you give a guy a piece of glass already cut, he'll have that piece to use.

If you show him how to do it himself, he can make his own piece whenever he wants for a lifetime.

(LoL, trying to revise it from the fish version)

You get the point I hope. Its all too easy to give it to somebody else but if I knew how to do this myself, I wouldn't have to depend on someone else later on.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:33 AM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
It varies with the thickness,but with something this small it's hard to tell.I would be very surprised if they charged more than $5.00.I had some holes drilled some years ago but I can't remember the cost,but I do remember that it was lower than I had expected.

Be charming,and tell them what it is for and they may not charge anything.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's important to use steady, even pressure when using the scoring tool. My advice is to use a straight edge to guide your cut. Also, make sure that you're going all the way from edge to edge.

Make a couple passes and then place the glass over a table edge at the score line. Apply a little pressure and it should snap at the score line.

Good luck!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 12:04 PM
TLH

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:

Take it to a glass shop.
Probably the safest way and you'll make sure you get a proper job done.

Quote:
They would charge on time taken, especially for just a cutting job when the glass is supplied already.

Quote:
Be charming,and tell them what it is for and they may not charge anything.
Yep a small firm would likely be better. If you catch the chap with nothing much on at the time he may just do it on the spot and send you on your way.

If you do want to have a go yourself have your glass on a table or something solid rather than the carpet which gives a little. You can use a cloth sheet to avoid scratching the glass if you want. Mark it out beforehand to the correct size. Use a straightedge to make the cut neat. Apply firm pressure (but not excessive) to the cutting tool and, cutting away from you, make one solid cut from end to end of the glass and make sure you run off the end of the glass. You should hear it crackle nicely as you do it. DO NOT go back over the cut again to make it deeper, you only need one cut, do it right first time. Now pick up the end of the glass holding both sides of the cut and tap the back/underneath of the cut from one end to the other with the end of a wooden hammer handle or similar, this will spread the cut stresses though the glass thickness. Tap gently over the whole length of your cut and if you get it right the pieces should just fall apart nicely.

Have a go on some spare scrap pieces first just to get the hang of it but it shouldn't be too hard.

If you want to clean up the sharp edges use a whetstone or carborundum sharpening block. You just need to knock the corners off the edge. Alternatively you can use some fine wet'n'dry paper on a block for flatting off car paint jobs.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
Cutting glass is very easy. Just press hard enough to hear clicking. And if it does not snap very easy, then it is not going to cut clean. I made a whole aquarium with a 8 dollar steel roller glass cutter

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
x2 on the NOT scoring it more than once. A drop of lightweight oil on your cutter wheel is usually recommended as well.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

LOL.

I practiced it a few times and I still haven't perfected it.

Only problem now is that I ran out of glass to practice on and I ran out of money to buy more glass.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:33 PM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
cutting glass by hand is not easy lol, ive been there before to natty. breakingit over and over. its worth the money to someone else do it lol. not worth the stress. i can always pick up a free window sash from job site or landfill for free to practice cutting glass with. depends on how much trash windows you want in the yard to play with lol.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode