BXRA-35E0800-B-00 0 0%
LEDGroupBuy Ocean Coral White 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Which emitter would you add?

Got a DIY LED light in the works with BXRA-56C1100-B-00 which is a 5600K LED emitter. Wanting to add more spectrum but keep it simple so have come up with two options:

1. BXRA-35E0800-B-00 (3500K emitter)
2. LEDgroupbuy ocean coral white

I can also go with the BXRA-30E0800-B-03 which is a 3000K emitter as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 04:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Check out eBay, just search led module, if you message me I will send you a link to the specific led modules my friends have bought and use and they are the same kind I am going to use. This is were a couple of my friends have bought their chip on board led modules (emitter as you call it). I recently priced LED light for my 180 gallon build and it would cost me around $1,200 to get pre-built leds and achieve high light, to where I can build a better light with more par and more spectrum and have it custom fit my needs for around $500.

I am not sure if you would want to go with 3000k or 3500k spectrum lights, I think the lowest you want to go is around 4000k. If I remember correctly the ideal spectrum are between 4500k and 6700k, and then if you can water over 18 inches deep you need some 10,000k to help penetrate. Hopefully someone else will comment on this, because now I am curious to know.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
I am not sure if you would want to go with 3000k or 3500k spectrum lights, I think the lowest you want to go is around 4000k. If I remember correctly the ideal spectrum are between 4500k and 6700k, and then if you can water over 18 inches deep you need some 10,000k to help penetrate. Hopefully someone else will comment on this, because now I am curious to know.
Aquarium lighting has really 2 opposing light issues 1)whats good for plants and 2)what is good for your "taste"

A fairly ideal spectrum fulfilling both criteria:

BML Dutch planted

As to light attenuation, see bottom row:

This gives you an idea of the spectrum lost ..The above chart was generated from a "custom" spectrum, higher in blue than the Dutch..you lose mostly red to deep red.. w/ all other colors being unaffected really (well proportionally decreased).

"K" values are for viewing..but low K LED's have more red generating phosphor..

As you can see from this (Cree color families):

Warm white LED's have close to 2x the important deep red band than cool white..
10000K are unnecessary w/ enough "average" whites. i.e 7000-5500K

attenuation of 6500K(10) 660nm red(3) cyan(2)

Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-08-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: led whites

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
Check out eBay, just search led module, if you message me I will send you a link to the specific led modules my friends have bought and use and they are the same kind I am going to use. This is were a couple of my friends have bought their chip on board led modules (emitter as you call it). I recently priced LED light for my 180 gallon build and it would cost me around $1,200 to get pre-built leds and achieve high light, to where I can build a better light with more par and more spectrum and have it custom fit my needs for around $500.

I will not do cheap ebay LEDs when I can get highly efficient Bridgelux, Cree, or Rebels for just a little more. I have done the multi-led full spectrum route already and it put out way more PAR than I was going to use (~150 PAR at the substrate 2ft high and no optics).

For my new build I am going with simplicity which is why I want as little LEDs as possible. A BXRA-56C1100-B-00 @ 500ma/21V with a Ledil Brooke-W pumps out 60-70 PAR when hanging 3 ft. from the substrate. No cheap ebay light is ever going to match that efficiency. A 5600K emitter has all the blue spectrum I need but lacks red which is why I want to add either a 3500K or just a pure 660nm emitter. A 3500K emitter evens out the spectrum more than a 660nm but will not output as much red.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode