my homemade co2 leaked into tank?????? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
my homemade co2 leaked into tank??????

Hey everyone I need some advise. I was just looking at my planted tank and noticed that some of my sugar, yeast mixture got into my tank. I netted all the fish and transferred them to my big tank. Is this tank ruined? Any advise would help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
At least you aren't alone...

Click here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:05 PM
TLH

So how much got in there? Is the water cloudy or what? Has the PH changed at all? We need more info.

Either way I should do big water changes till the water is clear and pack your filter full of wool to help get rid of it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Hey there, Thanks for the quick responses. I just did a 50% water change. the water was about 95% clear. Don't think a whole bunch got in there, just enought. The fish were gasping. I am new to planted tanks and co2, I was concerned for the fish. the last batch I made worked fine for the week. I am going to go to a 2liter bottle. So everything should be fine in the tank? The yast won't do any kind of damage? Thanks again everyone
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
how does this happen?
I could never figure out why some have this problem. Are you filling the mixture to the very brim of the bottle?

just curious.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

No, I did what the instructions told me. it was about 75% full, I think maybe I had a little too much yeast.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:42 PM
TLH

Do you have a non return valve in the line to the tank? A very common occurrence is that overnight as the temperature drops the yeast mixture cools and sucks water back down the tubing creating a syphon effect which fills up your bottle, then when the heat goes up during the day it just pumps itself into your tank.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Hey there. I did have a check valve and I also kept the bottle higher then the tank. I think THL that you might be correct. We just had a big temp drop last night. I'm just glad a bunch did not get in there. I'm just going to use a 2liter bottle this time insted of a little one. This was my second time doing this and it worked fine last time. I seen a difference the first week i used it. I am new and and i thank everyone for there help. I'm sure i'll be back again. LOL
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I know that some people will use a second smaller bottle between the Yeast mixture and the tank to help catch any crud.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Use a second smaller bottle between the main bottle and the diffuser. This will catch the snot that might otherwise end up in your tank and can act as a bubble counter

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Algae Grower

I had the same issue when messing with DIY CO2. after few major water changes i saw the white hairy fungus on everything. I kept changing the water and scraping that crap off and after few days it was all gone. I never moved my fish either and all of them were fine, so were the plants.

good luck

MIKE
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
TLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyd View Post
Hey there. I did have a check valve and I also kept the bottle higher then the tank. I think THL that you might be correct. We just had a big temp drop last night. I'm just glad a bunch did not get in there. I'm just going to use a 2liter bottle this time insted of a little one. This was my second time doing this and it worked fine last time. I seen a difference the first week i used it. I am new and and i thank everyone for there help. I'm sure i'll be back again. LOL
I would keep the bottle below the tank level myself. I used to just perch my bottles on the back of the stand but the level was underneath that of the tank water.

Here's the bottle separator that was talked about. There was another pic around here I saw with it strapped to the bigger bottle but you could just use another 2L if you like.
Article; http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
I use a gas separator like the above to get rid of the snot

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode