Amano shrimp breeding help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Amano shrimp breeding help

So I have 3 pregnant amano shrimp and since their zoeys need salt water to grow the first month or so im looking for an easy way to collect the zoeys before moving them out into salt water.
What im thinking of doing is getting a plastic jar filled some way with tank water and let it float inside the tank. Place the female in there untill it finishes hatching the eggs. Then I would take her out and work with all zoeys getting acclimated to saltwater. My question is, is there a better way to do this without setting up another tank? (no more space for now).

Sent via mobile TapaTalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 03:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bump
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
I am going through a similar experience. If you do a Google search for "breeding amano shrimp planted tank" you will get a link to an old topic on this very forum. I'm not sure if links are allowed, so I won't post it.

I got a breeder box for my pregnant shrimp. I fear that the slits in the box may be small enough for the little shrimps to escape through. I'm not holding out for much success, but I figure I'll try for fun. If you lack space for another tank, how are you going to raise the shrimp in salt water? I've got a 5 gallon fluval tank that I am hoping to transfer the babies to once they hatch.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinf View Post
I am going through a similar experience. If you do a Google search for "breeding amano shrimp planted tank" you will get a link to an old topic on this very forum. I'm not sure if links are allowed, so I won't post it.

I got a breeder box for my pregnant shrimp. I fear that the slits in the box may be small enough for the little shrimps to escape through. I'm not holding out for much success, but I figure I'll try for fun. If you lack space for another tank, how are you going to raise the shrimp in salt water? I've got a 5 gallon fluval tank that I am hoping to transfer the babies to once they hatch.
I have a breeder box in my other tank but I'm using it for fish. What I ended up doing is drilling small hole through the rim of small plastic jar, tie fishing line through it and a small pebble on the other end and then float it with tank water on top of tank and have the pebble hang on outside to keep the jar from tipping into the tank and sinking down. It seems to be working good. After that I just added a air stone into jar. And thats it. I dont have room for a tank but I was going to attempt to grow them out directly inside of a bucket. I am buying cycled saltwater from local dish store I work at and will be collecting some of their algae from the walls as well. Will that algae be enough for the morphing shrimp to survive? Any idea? Also, the main thing to look for in saltwater is for zero nitrates right?

Sent via mobile TapaTalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 03:08 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Scraped algae is too big for zoeys, look for Nannochloropsis or Spirulina.
Look on Google, there is a article from French forum (I think it's 10+ years old) Guy was saying that he was able to grow 3-4 to shrimp out of 200+ zoeys.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 04:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering how things went for you guys were

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode