co2 on powerhead questions! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
co2 on powerhead questions!

i have attached my diy co2 to a power head. every 30 sec or so it blows out several hundered bubbles.is this ok?

could the power head be to powerful? i have a sponge in it.

im using a fresh batch of co2, so it was bubbling 2 bubbles every sec anyway, but wanted to ask if anyone else had the same setup, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
Yes...I have tried this. It seemed to work pretty good and the plants at the first half of the tank liked the burst of bubbles. I found out though, that the plants on the other side of the tank (55 gallon) weren't doing as well and I suppose that they weren't getting as much C02 as the first half of the tank. Now I have Orlando's in line reactor hooked into my canister filter and have the powerhead just under the output of the spray bar to help the flow to the other side. I think that I like this way better. The reactor was pretty inexpensive and easy to hook up. Think about it. Also I got tired of looking at all the bubbles all the time. I think that it would be OK for a smaller tank. What size do you have?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:35 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would I be able to put my C02 piping into the intake of my Canister filter (return via spraybar)?

Tank is a 55Gal medium planted.....

Oh, BTW, does anybody have the recipe for yeast C02 for a 55?
also, should i use a 5L bottle instead of a 2L?

Thanking you

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

this is a 29 g, im gonna try and put it upside down so the bubbles are close to bottom of tank, the phead blows the bubbles all over the tank so looks like it works better than bubbler in one spot!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

should there be no, or some water movement on top of tank? which is better?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by customdrumfinishes View Post
should there be no, or some water movement on top of tank? which is better?

From what I have been reading, little to no water movement on the surface as to keep the C02 in the water longer. Imagine a long 55 gallon tank with the spray bar on the left SIDE of the tank. OK? The spray bar is sort of angled so it fits like this / . The top hole of the bar slightly stirs the water (I get some light oily stuff from the food) to keep the water moving. The other bar holes send the rest of the C02 and clean water thru the tank with the added benefit of the powerhead. Works for me.

As to the question about the C02 in the filter...I dunno. I certainly wouldn't want to drill a hole or anything into a canister filter for that. The reactor works well and it's separated so you can clean it. Besides, the idea of the reactor is to break up the bubbles, like a diffuser. If you can't understand my bad descriptions, I can send some basic pictures of my setup for ya no problem.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
But when you use an inline c02 diffuser, don't you just see the bubbles coming out of the output?

Or are the bubbles microscopic by then.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have used the diffuser that is in the tank. The glass one. The bubbles were very tiny, but I didn't like the way the glass looked in the tank.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 AM

I was thinking to drill a hole into the bottom of the "intake screen" on the intake pipe and then let the bubbles go through the filter system -

@ dthb4438 - thanx for the offer - some pics would be great.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

customdrumfinishes, CobraGuppy & poiromaniax

Here are the pics as I tried to describe earlier.

I'll try to walk you thru the pictures...#1 shows the intake hose from the tank to the external filter, #2. The intake of the tank goes into the intake of the filter, out the filter into the white reactor. The C02 system, pictures #3 & 4 (that is a solenoid shutoff that turns the C02 off with the lights on the right of #4), which consists of a 20 oz. bottle of paintball C02 goes to the top part of the reactor. But before it gets to the reactor, it goes to the needle valve (on the bottom of #3), and into the bubble counter (top of #3). Then it goes to the reactor. You can barely see the small tube on the left side of the reactor. The C02 injected water then goes out the bottom of the reactor to the tank spray bar, #1 (green angled tube on left side) and the powerhead assists the C02 injected water to the other side of the tank which makes ALL the plants happy. It's just a circle only a LONG circle. Soon I will be moving the intake to the other side of the tank, picture #3, so that it causes a slight movement along the bottom as well. There is no diffuser involved anymore. I don't have any bubbles at all because they are all microscopic as CobraGuppy had said.

CustomDrumFishes stated that he was gonna put the C02 line into the intake tube. I had done that also with a airstone in it. Well, the airstone got loose and got stuck in the tube causing all kinds of trouble for me. Watch out for that!! Been there, done that! From what I've been told, it's pretty easy to make a reactor and there are instructions I believe on DIY's site. There are many threads on all that stuff here on this forum. Did I explain it OK? Once you get a grasp on it, it really makes a lot of sense. Keep all the hoses clean and the flow stays good.

Keep in mind that DIY C02 may not have enough pressure to go into a system such as this.

Whew...

Last edited by dthb4438; 11-06-2008 at 10:06 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
I see now, thanks for clearing it up.

Does the reactor have to be like that to work? Like the water flows down in it, or did you just do that because you wanted to?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 02:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have used a few powerhead setups. I plumb it into the intake so the bubbles get chopped up very finely. it works fairly good for me.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 03:13 AM

PTrader: (47/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by customdrumfinishes View Post
i have attached my diy co2 to a power head. every 30 sec or so it blows out several hundered bubbles.is this ok?

could the power head be to powerful? i have a sponge in it.

im using a fresh batch of co2, so it was bubbling 2 bubbles every sec anyway, but wanted to ask if anyone else had the same setup, thanks
I've done this. Its okay but not as efficient as having a real diffuser or a co2 reactor.

It doesn't cover the whole tank and it doesn't diffuse the co2 as well in general.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 AM

Thanx for the pics and info!!!!

I drilled a hole into the intake of a powerhead and then shoved the piping in there....bubbles blow out every now and again (really tiny bubbles - you can hardly see them)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by intermision View Post
I have used a few powerhead setups. I plumb it into the intake so the bubbles get chopped up very finely. it works fairly good for me.
Ditto.

CO2 revelations (C02 mist method)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode