Easy cooling? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Easy cooling?

I was wondering if anyone has attempted this or any thoughts...

Where I live it usually doesn't get very hot. In Fall, there are a couple of days or even a week or two when the lack of air condition really hurts and tank temperatures climb a bit higher than I would like for my fish.

I was thinking of building a box for my canister filter(s), and insulate it with styrofoam, leaving some space around the canister body on all four sides.

Then, when it gets hot, put some of those rectangular freezer cool packs around the filter. They don't take up that much space in the freezer so they could be ready when needed.

With the styrofoam, most of the cool-ness should be transferred to the tank water.

Maybe a bit more elegant than floating them in the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to nate_mcnasty
seems like it would work but could this make it heat up when theres not ice packs in it?

slowly but surly

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

I don't believe so. If you put the insulation around the canister body only, it will not change the temperature. The pump motor is what creates the heat, and that one is on top (and should probably not be covered/insulated).

I wonder if the cold packs could affect and stress the plastic canister housing.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to nate_mcnasty
maybe put a thin towle around the filter like when you get a goose egg on your head haha

slowly but surly

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Thanks for adding ideas.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I don't believe that frozen ice packs, which are coated in plastic, would cause the plastic of the canister to reach a temperature where brittleness would occur. Maybe if you had some liquid nitrogen around the filter it would be an issue

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
I don't believe that frozen ice packs, which are coated in plastic, would cause the plastic of the canister to reach a temperature where brittleness would occur. Maybe if you had some liquid nitrogen around the filter it would be an issue
It probably depends on what filter you have.
I wouldn't discount anything happening to those cheap Chinese filters.They can break under even the most ideal conditions,and they are brittle fresh out of the box.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lescarpentier View Post
It probably depends on what filter you have.
I wouldn't discount anything happening to those cheap Chinese filters.They can break under even the most ideal conditions,and they are brittle fresh out of the box.
I believe that brittleness is usually associated with the latches that secure the top of the canister, and the hose connection area, and not the actual "body" of the canister itself correct?

Cooling smooth plastic that doesn't move or flex to 30*F shouldn't cause issues, but I'm not a scientist. I do have a friend who is though

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
I believe that brittleness is usually associated with the latches that secure the top of the canister, and the hose connection area, and not the actual "body" of the canister itself correct?
Well,it stands to reason that if the parts that you indicate are brittle,then the rest of the filter is brittle too.Like I said,I would use caution with these cheap filters.

I like the cooling idea though.It should work great.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Got four of the $2 Blue Ice weekender packs. Got plenty of wood and tools. Got canister filter. Now I just need time.

Filstars are sturdy so I am not overly concerned. But yes, cooling the outside to say 10F (those ice packs do get colder than 32F) while the inside remains at 80F has got to introduce some tension. That's what I am concerned about, not plastic getting brittle.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 10:59 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
hey guys why cant we just get a sturdy plastic case or something to put the ice pack into and let it float in the water and then take it out around 30 minutes or so?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:58 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It sounds like a good idea but you are going to need a freezer full of ice packs. They will not last long against the temps of the filter housing which would be the same temp as the water you are trying to cool.
The heat from the motor wont effect the tank temps like you say but the heat from lighting and ambient room temp will be a bit much to overcome Im sure. The fast contact to and small volume of water in the filter housing wont change a large tank before going through a dozen ice packs.

Now if you could also insulate/cool the intake and output hoses as well it may stand a chance.
It might work on a small tank but anything 75G and bigger I dont think would much effect.

Only one way to find out though eh?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

I haven't build the "Canister cool box", laziness and more rewarding projects win.

However, floating the ice packs is just as efficient. Just for some data, two of the weekender packs reduce the temperature in my 100gal tank by 0.75F (that's 3/4 of a degree). I have four of them in the freezer, using all of them reduces the temperature roughly by about 1.5 degrees.

Of course that will differ from tank to tank, depending on ambient temperatures, heat added by light and filters, etc.

Not sophisticated, but simple.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Get a bucket, fill it up with some water, put icepacks in bucket, and put the canister into the bucket?

Do you think having the insulating foam around the canister will work better than just having the canister in a bucket of iced water?

Please donate fish/plants/inverts for the needy
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
FWIW, you can make your own ice packs folks.

Fill a ziplock bag 2/3 full of water and fill the other 1/3 with alcohol. Put this bag in anothe bag and put in the freezer. Voila, instant ice pack. And they are reusable of course.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode