earthquake straps for tank and stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
earthquake straps for tank and stand

Have any of you tried the quakehold earthquake straps that adhere to the tank and stand and then screw into the wall with a really long screw? People that live on the west coast, what have you done in the past to secure your tanks, stands, and fish racks? What do you think about these? Any tips or advise is appreciated because I grew up in the South East so we didn't have earthquakes

Sincerely, Unikorn
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP20 gallon tank journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just recently started in the hobby again, and last time I had tanks I was on the East coast, where earthquakes weren't really a concern.

Most of the people I've talked to seem to be unconcerned.

I think some of it likely depends on the shape/orientation of the tank. Like, a 40B is probably too short and wide to tip over, whereas a 20XH wouldn't take much more then a nudge to tip it.

For my tanks, I've been using gate hooks to secure the stand to a wall stud.

I currently have a 10g on one stand that isn't secured (the stand is, not the tank). I haven't quite decided if it's a temporary setup, or how I'm going to secure it. Previously, I had a 20XH, and I just got some nylon webbing and buckles, and made a loop to go around the trip and mount to screws set in the wall.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nothing, but I did not have tanks the last time we had a big 'quake. (Loma Prieta, Oct 17, 1989)
All the little ones we have are not a problem at all.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I lived in southern california for 28 years and every earthquake while everyone was running outside or hiding in doorways I'd hold the big tanks and get soaked by the waves coming out of the top. In reality if the quake was big enough there wasn't a damn thing I or any strap could do to prevent the tank from failing. I suppose for little ones the straps might work, but for big ones I seriously doubt it. On a lighter note the 1994 northridge earthquake, my dad spent the entire earthquake on the toilet reading the newspaper!

Last edited by greaser84; 06-02-2014 at 01:44 AM. Reason: yep
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

That makes sense, Big tanks are exponentially heavier than small ones. The tank I have is an 11.4 rimless.

Sincerely, Unikorn

RIP20 gallon tank journal

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
For anyone who happens to read this, don't stand in a doorway during a quake.

Most buildings are constructed in a way that if the wall collapses, that door way will scissor shut on anything in it. Much better to simply hide under a desk/table or whatever, and cover your head.

I heard the doorway bit came from someplace with predominantly adobe buildings (I think?), and the door and window frames were the strongest part. - The walls would disintegrate and crumble, leaving just the doorways.

If you happen to be in an adobe building, then the doorway might be a valid option, but I'd still pick a table or desk first.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode