Methods of DIY co2 diffusion.... Bring em on People!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Methods of DIY co2 diffusion.... Bring em on People!!!!

For all you bio chem peeps out there im sure you all know making the stuff(co2) is pretty easy... In fact I reckon more difficulty lies in getting the stuff dissovled in the water so that the plants can actually use it, which Im figuring is probably the reason behind the rediculously high ass load of costs to actually buy the proper equipement. But screw that right? for all my fellow students eating mi goreng, I dont think its gonna happen.
So having said this i think its about time the good ol DIY co2 diffuser rose to the spot light in an effort to gather as many methods/setups out there as possible. Having now seen numerous methods of DIY co2 diffusion im indecisive of the most effective method diffusion, whilst comprimising costs ect, to use for my latest 50 gal planted setup.

Ok so basically the main motive of this thread is to gather as many varieties of DIY C02 diffusion setups and to share any images or discussion about them, such as:

successes, failures, recommendations, refelections, design specifications, reasons why yours is tottaly sweet, and any other queries.

I will get the ball rolling...

My first co2 diffuser was in my 10 gal and consisted of a internal co2 gas resoviour which captured the co2 bubbles from the yeast reactor. It was bassically a upside down plastic container positioned underwater so that the co2 bubbles floated upward into it and displaced the water downwards. So the co2 stayed in the aquarium, instead of simply floating out, in an effort to increase contact duration. This sat next to the outlet stream of an eheim 2008 internal filter in an effort to increase the turbulence.
This was an ok method of co2 diffusion and did manage to create a rise in co2 levels, but not alot. Im sure there are much better ones.

One other question..
Im considering a canister for my new 50 gal. Im wondering what peoples experiences in using that as a co2 diffuser aswell is. Ie does it degrade the filter at all, etc... Anyone?

Bring em on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm not so sure the issue with diy CO2 isn't more related to inconsistency versus dissolution. In prior diy CO2 setups, I didn't appear to have any problems with dissolution, the problems were inconsistent CO2 levels brought about trying to control the biological CO2 process (temp swings to the mix, batch strength, being able to control input relative to photoperiod, etc).

fwiw, I used an inline reactor (~2' long 2" dia PVC) plumbed to the canister filter with the gas line coming in about 1/2 way up and the water entering from the top.

75g 3 T8s 2x OD, XP3, pres. CO2,
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
I think he was refering to the DIY diffusion method. Not the recipe persay.

I use a PVC reactor. Works great, but I am sure its just as efficient as a glass diffuser.

From what I am hearing on these forums, people are swearing by the mazzei venturi, however, I have never had a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I am currently using an internal filter to mist the co2 in the only co2 injected tank I currently have running. Here is a link to how I built it. http://www.petfish.net/forum/index.p...c,68144.0.html

Eheim Pimp #232 Nikon Pimp #69
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 07:38 AM

i only put the outflow of C02 bubbles under the powerhead so that it mixes it up and bow micro bubbles hopefully mixing the other co2 air particles in the water.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

when i was using diy co2 i just stuck the line into the intake of a hang on the back filter, and made sure the water level was high as to not create so much aeration. it worked, but the sound got very annoying. at least you know how many bubbles you are making when you hear them every time they hit the impeller.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
as iof now i just have the Co2 going into my canister but i'm thinking i'll pick up a lime wood defuser for it soon

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Planted Member

I hope this isn't a stupid question... I don't know anything on the subject...

Has anyone considered just adding some carbonated water one in a while? 'Cause I can tell you how to make your own carbonated water easy & on the cheap for sure.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:13 AM
Planted Member

OK, but lets say you bought a 2 liter bottle of carbonated water at the grocery store. How much of that would you add to an aquarium to achieve the results your looking for?

The reason I ask is this... You can buy a CO2 bike tire pump for $15, and for $2 you can get a shrader valve at an auto parts store. Put this shrader valve in a 2 liter bottle cap, fill the bottle with water & preassurize the bottle with CO2 using the bike pump. Stick it in the fridge for a day or so & you've got carbonated water just like you buy at the store. Now if you can add that to your tank once in a while... I don't know if that's an easier solution then the ones you guys are already doing with the yeast & all that.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
OK, but lets say you bought a 2 liter bottle of carbonated water at the grocery store. How much of that would you add to an aquarium to achieve the results your looking for?

The reason I ask is this... You can buy a CO2 bike tire pump for $15, and for $2 you can get a shrader valve at an auto parts store. Put this shrader valve in a 2 liter bottle cap, fill the bottle with water & preassurize the bottle with CO2 using the bike pump. Stick it in the fridge for a day or so & you've got carbonated water just like you buy at the store. Now if you can add that to your tank once in a while... I don't know if that's an easier solution then the ones you guys are already doing with the yeast & all that.

you could... but co2 has to be constant. you dont want the level to fluctuate, so you would need to add the carbonated water at intervals through the day. also if its the kind of pump that uses the disposable cartriges like you would use for a pellet gun or something... i think these are 12 gram. you would go through them like crazy.

it would be cheaper and far easier, just to produce the co2 fairly consistantly with fermenting sugar water in an old soda bottle.
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I ran an aerator in the bottom of a downward flowing sponge filter. As the water flows down, the tiny bubbles flow up and the countercurrent, as well as the turbulence inside the sponge dissolves the CO2 pretty well.

post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Good responses yall..

Yes, im sure the actual pressurised systems are cheaper in the long run. But i think its the lower immediate costs of DIY methods that create that impulsive temptation and makes victims of us.

Im glad you asked that questin Oreo, regarding the carbonated water, because I too have pondered upon alternative physical ways of adding co2 to the aquarium more based around chemical reactions and the like. I mean surely theres better ways than having some obscure fungus respiring until its own toxic wastes lead to an ultimate demise in the system. At first this yeast method seemed awfully odd and primitive upon discovery however it really is quite effective for one main reason.

Most Chemical reactions only proceed to a certain stage in reality and of course last only until the reactants are consumed. Most known reactions for producing co2 would be quite rapid and be over quite rapidly at aquarium temperatures.

Boilogical reactions however, such as the respiration of our yeast freind, continue throughout the lifespan of the organism.

So yes, like everyone else was saying, it is this consistency found in the more natural methods that create that advatage over just physically adding it to the system.
However a very good question and i too was wondering this.

Glad to see peoples contributions and diffusion ideas, keep em coming
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
DIY vortex reactor

post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's cool!

post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Hey sweet i dont exactly know if ive ever seen that before.

If you could show some more detail on the design that would be awsome.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode