4dkh - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
4dkh

Got the drop checker in the mail yesterday.

went to the store today and bought 1 gal distilled water and a box of baking soda. (and they probably thought i was gonna go home and cook up some rocks... )

anyway, ive been searching around for a while on how to make the 4dkh solution...
all i find are recipes suggesting the use of graduated cylinders and a scale that weighs to the .01 grams, neither of which i have at the moment.

is it that crucial for this to be so scientific?

What's wrong with using a KH test kit and just dumping a half cup worth of distilled water into a red party cup and then adding a tiny bit of baking soda progressively until it tests at 4dkh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Most kH tests are titration's. So all you do is dump and measure like you said. Most test kits use 1 drop of solution = 1 point rise in kH. So what I do is double the amount of sample being used, which is usually 5ml, and use 10ml. This gives me 1 drop of solution = 0.5 point rise in kH in the titration. Its pretty easy. Just be aware that it only takes a few grains of baking soda to reach 4dkH.

33G: Eheim 2224, Finally have pressurized Co2 and Reactor
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinthebassist View Post
Most kH tests are titration's. So all you do is dump and measure like you said. Most test kits use 1 drop of solution = 1 point rise in kH. So what I do is double the amount of sample being used, which is usually 5ml, and use 10ml. This gives me 1 drop of solution = 0.5 point rise in kH in the titration. Its pretty easy. Just be aware that it only takes a few grains of baking soda to reach 4dkH.

so in theory i could play with the mixture until 4 drops turns 5 ml yellow, and then go back and dump 5ml of the solution into a red cup 4 times (20 ml)
and then try to get it yellow with 16 drops? this would produce a solution that could be accurate to about .25 kh?
AWESOME.

im mixing it right now.
thank you, and i will post back when i get the drop checker in the tank.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i got it to go yellow at 4 drops!
were close...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i got it to go yellow at 16 drops..
the drop checker is filled and in the tank. i stuck my finger in the bubble inside the bell of the checker to try and squeeze our as much air as i could. so how long until this thing changes colors? an hour or 2?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 06:33 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I took your approach as well and came out with something in the 4.5 dkh range...as I was looking for something a little higher than 30 ppm of CO2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR View Post
i stuck my finger in the bubble inside the bell of the checker to try and squeeze our as much air as i could. so how long until this thing changes colors? an hour or 2?
You did? Is that a good thing?!? It would seem to reduce the amount of space for collecting CO2, but then again, I guess it would reduce the amount 'space' that would need to equalize. Seems a bit 'too impatient' for my tastes .

Seems like mine took a bit longer than two hours, but that could be about right.

On the flip side, should you wish to turn off your CO2 and see a similar drop in CO2 levels, don't expect that to be so quick. You likely already know that, but I saw someone ask in another post. It takes a good long time (without excessive surface agitation) to remove CO2 from the water column, IMO.

Good work!
Brian.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
found this article on making 4dkh solution

http://www.aquaticforest.com/guides/...4dkh-solution/
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Gad
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a Red Sea 100 diffuser and the fine bubbles go everywhere. What about these bubbles getting into the drop checker horn? Will this affect the indicator solution reading?

Eheim Pimp Club Member #287

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by honor View Post
found this article on making 4dkh solution

http://www.aquaticforest.com/guides/...4dkh-solution/
i saw that one too, but i had no way to measure the water or to weigh the baking soda accurately. i did have a food scale that weighs ounces and grams but it was way too inaccurate for something this delicate. its good for measuring ounces... but into grams and it is no good.

a dollar bill in good condition should weigh one gram. i put a dollar on this scale and it did nothing. i stacked 5 bills on this thing and it still said zero.

6 grams is about 2 teaspoons. i probably couldve tried to measure it this way and used a measuring cup for the water. Instead, i just eyeballed the whole mixture, filled a red cup half full, dumped in about a gram of baking soda, filled another cup half full. i just diluted the baking soda water until i could test it at 4dkh. it works.

from what i have read, less airspace between the drop checker solution and the tank water means a faster reaction. more airspace requires more time to eaqualize the gas concentration of the checker to the concentration of the tank. this is why tom barr made up a checker that used a gas permiable membrane. it has no air gap. the checker responds a whole lot quicker.

im not really concerned about the rection speed, or else i would be on the quest to find a gas permiable membrane and make my own checker. i just want something to tell me how much is too much co2 before the fish do. the price was right, plus the thing looks kinda cool.

anyway, i also read that filling less solution into the drop checker bubble can yeild to faster reaction times, i think the logic behind this is; less solution it has to equalize the quicker the ph can change, therefore the color... can anybody confirm this?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

[quote=Gad;595170]I have a Red Sea 100 diffuser and the fine bubbles go everywhere. What about these bubbles getting into the drop checker horn? Will this affect the indicator solution reading?[/quote i use a glass and ceramic diffuser and i just mount it under my aquaclear 70 filter..... (i know, i just keep the water level high)

it blows tiny bubbles everywhere.

im sure i waste a bit of co2 but this doesnt worry me as i use a 20 lb tank.
but when those little bubbles get into the horn they can cause the checker give a higher reading than the actual co2 concntration.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Gad
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
[quote=DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR;595420]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gad View Post
I have a Red Sea 100 diffuser and the fine bubbles go everywhere. What about these bubbles getting into the drop checker horn? Will this affect the indicator solution reading?[/quote i use a glass and ceramic diffuser and i just mount it under my aquaclear 70 filter..... (i know, i just keep the water level high)

it blows tiny bubbles everywhere.

im sure i waste a bit of co2 but this doesnt worry me as i use a 20 lb tank.
but when those little bubbles get into the horn they can cause the checker give a higher reading than the actual co2 concntration.
That's what I was thinking too.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #287

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gad View Post
I have a Red Sea 100 diffuser and the fine bubbles go everywhere. What about these bubbles getting into the drop checker horn? Will this affect the indicator solution reading?
I have the same question......

The bottom of my RS DC was Full yesterday from what I presume to be collected C02 micros bubbles......

But it still changed color after the C02 was off and was much smaller this morning about 10mins before the light/C02 came on.....

It seems to be working properly, but.....

Anybody have any thoughts on this....?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode