Fusing two tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fusing two tanks

Ok, I have been meaning to work on this project for a while. I've been looking for a small squarish tank for what seems like forever. But a few months back I said forget it, I'll just make one. Rather then putting too much effort into making tanks like I have done in the past I was hoping to fuse 2 AGA 2.5 gallons together. To give you a more vivid idea of my madness I was looking at removing all the panes, silicon, framing etc. So basically your left with 10 panes of glass and 4 frames. With that I'm planning on modifying the frames so that the longest 4 panes create the front, back and sides.

Where I am running into a dilemma is how should I create the bottom? After modifying the frames I might be able to fit both the bottom panes back in and have a center brace in the tank (the two adjoined frames) or should I knock those out to fit a single thick pane? And yes, I really want to continue with this rather than starting from scratch. I have tons of 2.5's from killie breeding from years ago, now they are just collecting dust.

Hope someones got some ideas

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
you want seams on the front of your tank? You crazy man? 2.5 are expensive tanks. Sell them and just buy a tank dude! Or make one from scratch! Otherwise, I think the seams on the sides of you tank will be major weakness points because they are not braced from more than 1 side, meaning they could swing outwords!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
The Bottom... If you are talking about the glass... then just put in a sheet of plexyglass. You can't see it so what difference would it make.
I hope this helps.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

True, on both points. 2.5 I sell at work for like 6 each? Thats like nothing! So getting something from used tanks... uhm like 1 each? Lol. I do see your point though. I might just make one I guess, never thought too much bout the side seams... But heres another question, anyone use that concrete slab drywall stuff? The water sealed ones that are used in bathrooms? I might use that as a base because its heafty and solid.

|||
|||
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think that is mainly for holding tile. I don't think it would hold water for very long.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
6 each? Wayy cheaper than they are here! Here they cost like 18 bucks!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetee View Post
I think that is mainly for holding tile. I don't think it would hold water for very long.
Joe
Oh, we must be thinking of different things. I've used the stuff on big display tanks that had only 1 viewing pane of glass. This stuff is much cheaper than glass but is heavy as heck! So the tanks I made with them are to never be moved from where they have been setup... Unless your like the hulk.

But yeah, this stuff I know holds water, its just since I used them in tanks that don't get moved I'm not to sure how strong they are when it comes to breaking them down.

|||
|||

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode