20g metaframe rebuild? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question 20g metaframe rebuild?

ok so I was recently given a 20 gallon metaframe tank. I think it most likely needs rebuilt please take a look at the pictures and give your opinion. I have never rebuilt a aquarium before little alone one with a metal frame so if anyone has a link for a rebuild it would be awesome ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140516_053215_618.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	321058  

Name:	IMG_20140516_053415_122.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	321082  

Name:	IMG_20140516_053532_506.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	321090  

10g Snail Tank, 10g Marmokreb Tank, 10g Goldfish Tank (at the moment), 20g metaframe tank (will be Marmokreb tank when its fixed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the dark line in the bottom is a groove that's in the slate bottom it flakes if you mess with it... the gray stuff is I don't know what I think caulking of some sort... the guy that gave it to me kept his fishing bait in it so I know it does hold water as it is.. but looks awful...

10g Snail Tank, 10g Marmokreb Tank, 10g Goldfish Tank (at the moment), 20g metaframe tank (will be Marmokreb tank when its fixed)
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Most rebuilders are getting a piece of glass cut to fit over the bottom slate and siliconing into place. Then siliconing up the corners to the top frame.

Never show anyone your true potential. If you do, they will always expect it.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstehman View Post
Most rebuilders are getting a piece of glass cut to fit over the bottom slate and siliconing into place. Then siliconing up the corners to the top frame.
look at the pictures of the sides I posted someone tried sealing the tank back up with some type of grey caulking lol the only silicone is on the inside...

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 04:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/86%)
Glass over the slate is the best way to go. That slate is old. And can develop cracks at any time. Removing the glass can be tedious. So, think it over, if you can live with the scratched glass. If you enjoy unique tanks, these are fun. Looks like it might be a Pemco brand. I have a great rebuild link, on my computer. I'll try to post it tonight.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

uhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffyfish View Post
Glass over the slate is the best way to go. That slate is old. And can develop cracks at any time. Removing the glass can be tedious. So, think it over, if you can live with the scratched glass. If you enjoy unique tanks, these are fun. Looks like it might be a Pemco brand. I have a great rebuild link, on my computer. I'll try to post it tonight.

The glass is just filthy I think I looked it over and didn't see any scratches. The slate is coming apart in that long dark line down just off center... my issue is that gray crap they used that everyone keeps ignoring.. its all over the bottom and in the cracks between the glass and the metal...

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
STOP!!!
Don't do a thing yet.
Fill it yourself and see if it truly holds water. Then see if the chrome can be brought back. If it can't anything else you do is moot.
If the chrome is salvageable yet it leaks first thing is to try adding dirt to the water and see if that stops the leaking. (Worked on one of my tanks)
If it's the glass areas leaking above the slate try the black silicone and reseal that. (Silicone doesn't stick to slate very well.)
If that fails then try heating the asphaltum with a heat gun and see if remelting it will seal it up. (Needs to be empty of course.)
Slate will flake. The determination is whether it is structural or not. If the slate has failed then yes, cover it with glass.
Contrary to what has been said those of us that collect these don't cover the slate with glass.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
STOP!!!
Don't do a thing yet.
Fill it yourself and see if it truly holds water. Then see if the chrome can be brought back. If it can't anything else you do is moot.
If the chrome is salvageable yet it leaks first thing is to try adding dirt to the water and see if that stops the leaking. (Worked on one of my tanks)
If it's the glass areas leaking above the slate try the black silicone and reseal that. (Silicone doesn't stick to slate very well.)
If that fails then try heating the asphaltum with a heat gun and see if remelting it will seal it up. (Needs to be empty of course.)
Slate will flake. The determination is whether it is structural or not. If the slate has failed then yes, cover it with glass.
Contrary to what has been said those of us that collect these don't cover the slate with glass.
Is that gray gunk asphalt um???

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

The original sealant is the black tar like substance called asphaltum. The gray stuff was probably added by a previous owner.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

I seriously doubt it. Asphaltum is black.
Have you filled it yet?
From the photos I can't really tell if that crack is a problem or not. I just can't see Metaframe using a piece of slate with a fault in it.
Fill it up outside and see if it leaks.
The tank I got a year (or 2?) ago was fine when I leak tested it our side. Carried it in and put the dirt substrate down planted it and filled it. Darn thing leaked. Decided to leave it full. After a day or 2 it stopped and has been fine since. The worst thing on those tanks is leaving them empty. If you have to empty them you always want to leave an inch or two in the bottom.

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/86%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpcrazy00 View Post
The glass is just filthy I think I looked it over and didn't see any scratches. The slate is coming apart in that long dark line down just off center... my issue is that gray crap they used that everyone keeps ignoring.. its all over the bottom and in the cracks between the glass and the metal...
I have been able to easily remove the gray stuff, most of the time. Then resealed with black silicone. I've had some with cracking slate before. I just cleaned them, the best I could. Painted a thick piece of glass black. Put a layer of silicone down. Then put the glass on top of the slate and resealed the rest of the tank. Apparently some collectors cover the slate with glass and some don't. Your choice. I'll post that link, this evening.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffyfish View Post
I have been able to easily remove the gray stuff, most of the time. Then resealed with black silicone. I've had some with cracking slate before. I just cleaned them, the best I could. Painted a thick piece of glass black. Put a layer of silicone down. Then put the glass on top of the slate and resealed the rest of the tank. Apparently some collectors cover the slate with glass and some don't. Your choice. I'll post that link, this evening.
It seems to me that if your going to go through the trouble of putting glass on top of the slate that you could just spend the extra dollars and order a cut to fit piece of slate to just drop in and call it done???

post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I seriously doubt it. Asphaltum is black.
Have you filled it yet?
From the photos I can't really tell if that crack is a problem or not. I just can't see Metaframe using a piece of slate with a fault in it.
Fill it up outside and see if it leaks.
The tank I got a year (or 2?) ago was fine when I leak tested it our side. Carried it in and put the dirt substrate down planted it and filled it. Darn thing leaked. Decided to leave it full. After a day or 2 it stopped and has been fine since. The worst thing on those tanks is leaving them empty. If you have to empty them you always want to leave an inch or two in the bottom.
I'm thinking the slate must absorb water and expand just like slate will absorb oil that's why you find slate all under oil fields... so if you let it dry out it could possibly become brittle and crack... but anyways that crack looking mark isn't going to come "clean" its just going to keep chipping off. So should I maybe seal it with expoxy? If I seal the whole inside bottom with epoxy then it won't leak there's no way right??? If so can someone recommend a substance to use for sealing it??

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Slate doesn't absorb water readily. If it did you couldn't use it on the bottom of a fish tank. Or for roofing shingles.

Using an epoxy resin might not be a bad idea. Is it fish safe however?
Slate has an extremely low water absorption index of less than 0.4%.

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 09:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpcrazy00 View Post
It seems to me that if your going to go through the trouble of putting glass on top of the slate that you could just spend the extra dollars and order a cut to fit piece of slate to just drop in and call it done???
The problem is that silicone does not adhere well to slate long term, that is why the suggestion was made to insert a piece of glass on top of the slate and then use the silicone to reseal the inside of the tank.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode