DIY CO2 reactor ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
DIY CO2 reactor ?

So I made a DIY reactor for my co2 system (picture below) and when I put it in the tank and turned it on without hooking it up to the CO2 line the water pumped up through the co2 line and onto the floor.

Should I:

Do nothing as the co2 pressure and check valves will not let this happen.

Put less sponge at the end so the water passes through it easier.

Use a less powerful pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000266.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	319729  

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Was it lots of pressure coming out? If not the check valve should keep it from going to your regulator.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
If you are going this route. instead of putting the co2 into the chamber run the co2 line into the intake of the pump. The impeller will help chop up the co2.

Always use a check valve on a co2 line. Any line hanging out of your tank down can siphon your whole tank onto the floor.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I was able to blow into the line and reverse the flow. it wasn't gushing out or anything. Just don't want to ruin my new regulator right off the bat

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another question I have is can I keep this configuration horizontal or does it need to be vertical to work properly?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

At one point I ran into a commercial variety that works like this. It was open at the lower end and did need to be vertical. Seemed to be the same idea as the Rex Griggs. The CO2 fighting to float up while the water flow pushes down until the bubbles are small enough to move down and out. I would suggest a bit of each of your ideas. Check valve to keep water from going overboard while reducing or removing the bottom sponge. Maybe a net over the end to keep small fish out? If you are thinking less flow would help and want the pump stuck to the side, maybe an el between the pump and tubing would work to get the tube vertical and still stick the pump on the glass?

Just my opinion! Like your line!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
At one point I ran into a commercial variety that works like this. It was open at the lower end and did need to be vertical. Seemed to be the same idea as the Rex Griggs. The CO2 fighting to float up while the water flow pushes down until the bubbles are small enough to move down and out. I would suggest a bit of each of your ideas. Check valve to keep water from going overboard while reducing or removing the bottom sponge. Maybe a net over the end to keep small fish out? If you are thinking less flow would help and want the pump stuck to the side, maybe an el between the pump and tubing would work to get the tube vertical and still stick the pump on the glass?

Just my opinion! Like your line!
Thanks, yeah I scrapped this idea and for now have the co2 line going into a powerhead but I don't know if that will work either. I guess I might either get a diffuser or have it going into a water pump.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
i ran this exact idea but pump was upside down co2 was added at the top with the sponge to pull the water in the top. co2 is pushed down and broke down to push in the tank. i no longer used this because i know run a inline reactor off my fx5

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode