Sources for PVC Fittings - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Sources for PVC Fittings

Looking to build a Rex Reactor and can't for the life of me find all of the components necessary. Even tried a few irrigation suppliers, and not one of them stocked everything i needed (and I didn't want to make 3 trips all across town to pick up the materials)...so, any good online sources? I just need a few simple things - or, I suppose perhaps someone could give me a good source for a cheap reactor - either would suffice, really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Have you checked eBay? I bought my hose barbs there (5/8")

Lowe's carried the rest of the equipment needed for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)
Lowes had all the supplies I need as well. When it comes to plumbing supplies I find Lowes is better than Menards (which you may not even have where you live), but I can't say about Home Deport. All you need is pvc, bushings, T's, and adapters, but maybe more you have a more elaborate reactor? The gray barped fittings I use are usually not in the PVC section, but close by. Any hardware store should have this stuff. What parts can't you find?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgymatt View Post
Home Deport

The immigration van stops by the local Home Deport almost daily here.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post

The immigration van stops by the local Home Deport almost daily here.
ROFLMAO!! Now that is a great laugh...

I ditto the above comments, you should be able to get almost everything you need from Homey and Lowes.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I had to go to Ace Hardware for my barbs, other than that I got the rest from Home Depot. I ended up spending around $25.00 and you can buy one from Orlando or Rex Grigg for about $35.00 shipped.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Haha...I really hate saying to people to shop at Lowes or Home Depot, but truth has it, they have a LOT of stuff. And thats the only reason it keeps me going back. Quality and saving small business is another whole issue!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I went to both HD and Lowes (after trying my local hardware stores first)...I ran into a problem right off the bat looking for the 2" reducing T with 3/4" threaded side port - everyone told me that a 2" simply doesn't reduce that far - they had 2" to 1 1/4" but not 3/4" - and that I'd have to special order it...

About the only things I COULD find were an 18" section of 2" PVC and the plug! I thought it was just me being blind but after asking for help, realized that it in fact was not me...

I'm actually on hold with a guy from a different Lowe's (really far away) to see if he has the pieces in stock before I go!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Why don't you just use a 2" slip bushing that reduces to 3/4" threaded!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Because I'm not smart enough to figure that out when standing in front of a towering aisle of PVC fittings (I studied art history in college)!! I think I will make modifications if i must, but hopefully I'll be able to keep things simple...for everybody's sake!!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
Because I'm not smart enough to figure that out when standing in front of a towering aisle of PVC fittings (I studied art history in college)!! I think I will make modifications if i must, but hopefully I'll be able to keep things simple...for everybody's sake!!

See http://www.rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm
5th picture from the left.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
So get the 2" to 1 1/4 tee and put a 1 1/4 to 3/4 reducer in it, problem solved. Even HD or Lowes should have those.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
So get the 2" to 1 1/4 tee and put a 1 1/4 to 3/4 reducer in it, problem solved. Even HD or Lowes should have those.
Stock varies greatly by store. My local HD doesn't carry those items, but my Lowe's did. Ace hardware is a good place to look, as well as "Do It Best", if you have one of those in your area.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Apparently the reducing t's aren't carried here in the Tulsa area because they "aren't needed to meet code" whatever the hell that means...I guess I'm going BACK to the hardware store to try and figure out what the hell to do...
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
What about the reducer bushing? Although it's the right size, It isn't threaded; so what piece would I need to attach the hose barb to the bushing?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode