Painted Backgrounds - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Painted Backgrounds

Today is the big day, I start my 20 gal project..woo! I am trying to decide if I want to paint the back of the tank with black Krylon. Anyone have some pics of your tank/or others that are painted black? I love the open all glass look, but figure I can't accomplish that with a rimmed tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well i personally think that the black backround can be harsh on some tanks. I really like this persons white backround http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...7/View/572.jpg
But the black won't show as much dirt and grime as white would though.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:35 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Go for it.
If you have decided a black background is what you want then paint is the best option. Clean the glass good with alcohol and then a straight water wipe down for any residue.
If you want to have some fun with it, I have also 2 toned a 56G tank that came out beautiful.
Here is a link to some pics... http://www.buckmanshome.com/background.html

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I like to watch American Chopper, and one part of the show that facinates me is when Nubby is doing the paint job for the bike that they are working that week. What I think would be cool is to create a gradient of colors from dark at the bottom to light at the top (i.e. from black to a dark blue).

I couldn't begin to imagine how this would be done in reverse though since you would want it visable from the inside of the tank. I guess it is very similar to what Buck did but with a twist.

Edit: I might give it a shot on the next tank I do. Sorry it doesn't help now waterfaller.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 01:01 PM

That actually would be easy to do but you would need to do it with spray, not brush.
Speaking of bikes...time to go wash mine, Its that time of year.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Go for it.
If you have decided a black background is what you want then paint is the best option. Clean the glass good with alcohol and then a straight water wipe down for any residue.
If you want to have some fun with it, I have also 2 toned a 56G tank that came out beautiful.
Here is a link to some pics... http://www.buckmanshome.com/background.html
Thanks Buck! You made me brave, I am going to try a fade blue/black. Thank you all for your suggestions. Wish me luck. I found a great guy at HD who was cool, he is an artist himself. He was very helpful and even gave me his e-mail address so I can show him how it turns out.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Personally, I change backgrounds often, so I prefer the tape-on backgrounds. I have one that is black on one side, and a black/blue gradient on the other. I make white or light colored BGs with large sheets of water color paper (has a cool texture than smooths out the light and can create nice shadow gradients) The only thing I don't like about it is that it still allows for heavy reflections, which I suppose would still be a problem if the outside of the tank was painted (do people paint the inside?). For me, it's imperative that I'm able to change a BG back and forth.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:55 PM

A painted background is actually easily removed. That is why I use latex. It ahderes good enough for the effect and lasts until I am bored with it, but it also adheres "not good enough" to be considered permenant.
It scrapes off in one thick layer with a razor blade, add 3 squirts of a glass cleaner and you are ready again.
Of course the downside is access... you need to drain and move the tank to scrape/repaint it. The only paper backgrounds I see that look half way decent need to be applied with oil or something or they look cheapo and are just as much a pain to remove and clean.

Now I am playing with a floor tile background for fun. I am going to try to put them to a piece of masonite and position it behind the tank. (time willing of course)
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
That sounds a lot more manageable then. I agree some of the applied BGs are sometimes cheap looking, I make sure to taught all the edges well, tape at four corners as well as some center taping to avoid sagging. Sometimes I use a piece of cardboard and cover it w/ black material so it stays nice and flat against the tank. Have never tried the vaseline or oil trick, seems like too much trouble and mess to me.

What I'd really like to try is a painted light box. Someone here (can't remember who) made one a few inches deep, painted white with a small linear desk lamp with variable options at the bottom, created some pretty cool effects on the back similar to a sunrise/set in the horizon.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
On my new 55, I did the first coat with metallic black, and then followed up with a couple coats of black glossy. You can't notice the difference in my pics, but I really like how it looks in person.

Good luck.

Dave

My son's 29 Gallon - 1 Firemouth, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco, and 6 Bloodfin Tetras
55 Gallon - always in need of some new plants - 1 Pearl Gourami, 7 Zebra Danios, 3 Albino Bristlenose Plecos and 4 really old Amano Shrimp
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well today did not turn out as I had planned. A couple glitches,so patience will be needed. The tank is going to have to be replaced. It was used, and there is something on it that just will not come off. It has a few scratches too. Just as well really, it was used for a reptile. Even though I did clean it well, I have read not to use a tank for fish that ever housed a reptile.I will just get a new one tomorrow. And so I said, well let's look at the new Eheim canister. Bummer...there are parts missing and a little broken piece of plastic was jiggling around inside the impeller head part. Hmm , that doesn't sound good.. I called and they will ship me a new one, very good. She is even over-nighting it,sweet. We did get the stand put together today!{lol} Thanks everyone & to whomever left such a sweet comment....
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:42 AM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
i have painted several tanks blk on the rear with cheap walmart 0.98 paint and looks great justtakes several coats. im thinking of doing stencils on the back with several colors. i painted a propane tank with high temp paint to look like bamboo with red blk and purple looks neat and is cheap! just have to get creative i cant find a pic of the tank but easy as spraying one color moving stencils over 1/2inch and spraying another color to give it depth like some graffiti ive seen. just pla with a board a few times and youll figure out a neat design.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Signmakers vinyl works beautifully as well, every color you could ever want and there's probably gradients if you look. Installation isn't tough but does need to be done right, you need to get every last air bubble out.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
[quote=original kuhli;578676]Signmakers vinyl works beautifully as well, every color you could ever want and there's probably gradients if you look. Installation isn't tough but does need to be done right, you need to get every last air bubble out.[/quote]

That's why painting it is nice, don't have to worry about air bubbles.

I used black latex paint, turned out great. I was a little impatient at the end and pulled off the tape a little to quickly and messed up the top edge. One of these days I'll get around to fixing it.

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've had paint and I've had vinyl, its a toss up to me, paint scratches but so does vinyl.

Its not tough to get the air bubbles out, you just need to do it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode