Stand Alterations - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (30/100%)
Stand Alterations

I currently have a 55 gal on a stand. I'm looking at putting a sump under it but ran into a problem. The sump tank is deeper then my stand. I'm thinking about cutting out the center brace on the back. Does anyone know enough about stand construction to know if this will work without setting up for a big problem.
Thanks,
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you have a center brace on the stand, there is probably a very good reason why it is there. Stand manufactors tend to make stands with a bare minimum on materials to conserve costs and the center brace that you are referring to is probably integral to the construction of the stand.

It might help of you can post some pictures of the construction of the stand as well as the center brace you are talking about.

What size sump are you trying to use? Pictures of that might help as well.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Stand with doors closed.

Stands with doors open.

What I'm looking at doing would be taking out the post in the back on the side with the jugs. I'm wanting to put a 29 or a 20 long tank under there. If it can't be safely done I might have to see about moving the stand and all forward and putting the sump in sideways. I don't really like that option though. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Worse case, I might just have to try and build a custom sump.
Thanks for the help,
Jeremy

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Here is what I would consider:

Create two seperate pieces similar to the ones in the back of the stand to be placed (temporarily) in the front of the stand right next to either door. Then remove that middle section to get your sump in there. If the center piece is temporarily out then unless I am totally misjudging the stand it should fit with the two temporary support pieces in place.

If I was going to attempt this though, I would empty out atleast 1/2 of the water volume or possibly even more to get this done. Take as much stress off of the stand as possible. After you get the sump in, replace the center support and make sure it is secure and then remove the two temporary supports.

Make sense?

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It makes sense. I'd have to empty out at least half the water just to get the the tank and stand moved forward. But, the problem is the depth of the stand versus the depth of the sump tank would mean I'd probably have to leave the brace out. I was thinking of maybe turning the brace sideways and mounting it under the tank to re-enforce that section so that it can't bow as easily.
Jeremy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

bump. Hoping someone else might chime in too.
Thanks,
Jeremy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
Problem is the biggest determination in deflection at this point is the span - no, you can't remove that support, it is acting as a post.

Turning the brace, so to speak, would be a great option, if you could actually get it to take the load before failing the existing structure. I'm not sure how you can get the connections to be able to do that.

BiscuitSlayer has what is probably the best option, honestly - except if I am reading your OP right, it won't fit. If it were me, I'd be looking for a sump that fits inside the stand, and then installing it like Biscuit said to.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

In the front of the stand, what is the diag measurement from corner (where one door is) to corner accross the center support to other corner (opposite door)? Height as well?

If you go the route I suggested above, and the measurements allow, you might be able to slide a 20L in there at an angle holding one end low and the other high.

I was able to fit a 10 gallon tank into a 29 gallon stand once. It took some working, but I made it work without any major modifications.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode