Stand Extension: Possibility, or stupid idea? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Stand Extension: Possibility, or stupid idea?

I found someone giving away a 90g on campus, and I am considering upgrading from my 55, since I hate scaping in it. However, I don't really have the cash to buy a new stand. Is it possible to build on the existing 55g stand to make it work for a 90? I am thinking like 4 4x4's for posts on the extension, with a board on top of the existing board, and a board on the bottom. I will draw a picture to give a clearer idea, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there to see if it was just a really dumb idea (I'm guessing it is).

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:16 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Other than making it work aesthetically, in my head that would only make the stand structurally stronger (though heavy as all getout!!) I'm sure there's a better way to do it rather than with 4x4s but I def. don't have the structural engineering background to tell you how to do it better...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:19 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
With proper cross bracing you could go with 2x4's. Probably look a little strange like Laura says, but it should work. Just staple some nice looking curtains on the front to cover up the front and presto good as new

(I was kidding about the curtains by the way)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
I found someone giving away a 90g on campus, and I am considering upgrading from my 55, since I hate scaping in it. However, I don't really have the cash to buy a new stand. Is it possible to build on the existing 55g stand to make it work for a 90? I am thinking like 4 4x4's for posts on the extension, with a board on top of the existing board, and a board on the bottom. I will draw a picture to give a clearer idea, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there to see if it was just a really dumb idea (I'm guessing it is).
In addition to your sketch drawing, provide a couple of pics of your current 55 gallon stand (inside and out) especially drawing attention to the support structure of it.

With regards to 4 x 4s, it might be better to double up 2 x 4s because they will be less likely to warp in the same direction like a 4 x 4 would. It is also easier to work with 2 x 4s than it is with 4 x 4s.

Too bad you live in MI. If you lived closer to me, I could probably put something together for you or even just make the cuts you need. I seem to remember you having a post regarding tools and a building area?

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'd say it could be done pretty easily with proper planning.

If nothing else you build the frame for a 90g and reuse the front panel of your existing stand. The existing side panels could be extended with some matching wood to cover the gap of the addition, or may be better off replaced with new ones that extend to cover the new dimensions.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
OH MAN! Today I was rummaging through my storage locker and completely forgot that I still have my other 55g stand; the one I deemed too ugly to use. Do you think it would be a bad idea to just use 2 55g stands back to back as a 90g? I could attach them some how and make a shell.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 04:43 AM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
for a shell or cover up. they sell a 1/4" lauan or imported plywood at lowes for 9.00 or 10.00 a sheet 4' by 8'. it looks alot like regular birch plywood but thinner and cheap. great for covering up a nasty stand and has a sanded side so very smooth, no voids.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You might need to post pics of both stands for the structural gurus in here to render a verdict on that one?

I'm curious, though.

Might be a pain to access equipment?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode