Glass thickness - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass thickness

Hi. I purchased a 75g (48x24x16) tank a LFS. What worries me is that the glass is only 6mm thick. We have the tank set up for 2 months now and it doesnt seem to bow or leak. It sits perfectly level. It also has a equally thick centre brase and we keep it filled 11cm from the top because it has a 'rack' to place lights in but we built a canopy luckily it has mirror finishing on the top and bottom so you cant see the water line. The LFS where we bought it has the exact same tank on display with a few angelfish in it and its been there for more than a year now. I would just like to know how long this tank can last and if it is safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

30 views and no answer
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
a tank that size should ideally have 9mm glass (or thicker). however, if your lfs has had it on display for over a year i would imagine that it is safe...maybe. if you were concerned, why did you not pose any questions as to its integrity when you bought it? this could have perhaps saved you some worry...anyone else have a better answer?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:06 PM

Did you ask your lfs if this is intended for aquarium or terrarium?
IMO too thin for an aquarium.
Good Luck.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Its an aquarium. They also have it set up as an aquarium on display
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

it's obvious you think it's too thin, and it probably is...you'll worry about it if you set it up so just take the thing back...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiaman View Post
30 views and no answer
Most people here don't have a darn clue about how thick aquarium glass should be. I know I don't at least. And I think reading 30 different people saying "I haven't the slightest clue" would get old.

There's a calculator floating around here somewhere that gives some guidelines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't know - but I looked it up...I swear, if people would use their search engines they could save themselves a lot of time...a google search for "aquarium glass thickness" yielded about 4 pages (on the first results page) that dealt specifically with proper glass thicknesses for different size aquariums...At least I tried to give an informed answer! but, you're definitely right: most people simply don't know...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Khoile posted a link to the calculator in my rimless thread> https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ritiquing.html
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

I checked with a calculator and it says i currently have a safety factor of 1.5. Is this enough? Maybe its toughened glass?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think it probaly will work, if you taken some precaution.

Based on the calculation, you have a bottom safety factor of 1.81.

Here's an excerpt from http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diy...tomtank_3.htm:

Quote:
Many DIYers have found that they can increase the Safety Factor for a given thickness and tank size by installing a 4" wide glass brace from front to back of the top of the glass, essentially turning their tank into two 2' tanks, increasing the Safety Factor to 3.38. Rather than go to a thicker glass to increase the Safety Factor, you can economize on construction in this manner.
So you have a center brace, based on the above, your tank is effectively a 2' tank. With that information, your bottom safety factor becomes 2.27. Still under the recommended 3.8, but....

Quote:
You can also economize by designing your tank stand so that it fully supports the entire bottom of the tank by using a styrofoam or polystyrene pad between the tank and stand. The pad will keep the tank from failing due to a point load on the glass surface which can be caused by dirt or grit on the stand surface. If the tank bottom is fully supported, you can also use a thinner than normal piece of glass for the tank bottom, since the stand will be adding strength and support, keeping the glass from bending.
This basically mean that you need to follow the above advice and properly support your tank. Now nothing is 100%, if you want added safety, I recommend having at least 3.8 safety factor for the bottom also, which mean going to the next thickness grade, 9mm.

Khoi.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanx. The bottom is fully supported and there is styrofoam between the stand and tank. So its all good then?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yeah the number says so. But do be aware that you are in the gray area, so if there's glass defects or bad silicone job, it may affect the integrity of the tank. I don't think anyone here will go and confirm 100% that it's ok, you probaly have to make the decision yourself.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Algae Grower

Which of the measurements you have shown is the height of the tank, the 24" or the 16"? If it's the 16" then that's perfectly ok in 6mm glass. I've been manufacturing tanks for the past 34 years in the UK, and we use 6mm glass up to a maximum height of 18". Fron 18" to 24" we use 10mm glass, and 24" to 30" we use 12mm glass. However, all our tanks are euro-braced.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Its 24" high and 16"deep. Although we only fill it to 19.5" cause it has a place to put lights inside.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode