diy co2 gets weaker and weaker.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
diy co2 gets weaker and weaker..

For some odd reason every time i make a new batch the co2 seems to get weaker and weaker. Like less bubbles and they come out slower, I've been using the recipe from the PT.net article. (2 cups sugar,1/2 tsp yeast) What can be wrong with it? Is my water too hot when I add it to the bottle?When I add the water it feels lukewarm to me, not steaming hot. Am I supposed to mix it in the bottle? Does amount of water and such depend on the co2 flow? Help please,
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
The simplest and quickest way to do it is to not worry so much about sterilization. I never had a problem with my setup over about six months' time. Your mileage may vary.

Fill the bottle about 1/3 of the way full with cold tap water. Add sugar. Shake. Shake it like a Polaroid. Add yeast. Shake it. Shake shake it. Fill up with water to desired level.

If there is still not much gas coming out, you either have bad yeast or a leak, and leaks are common.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
bakers run into this issue too... Chlorine can actually kill yeast..
So, you can try to de-chlore you water... Yeast gets activated in luke-warm water. They love that temperature actually. The room temperature might be cooler than before?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
The temp of the water needs to be 104 give or tank 5 degrees, i get good results this was, i put 1 1/2 of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast, pinch or baking soda. Put the sugar in and fill the bottle half way up with 104 degree water and shake it (like a poleroid picture)lol make sure you mix up your yeast in something before putting in the bottle and water that you mix it up with also needs to be in the 104 degree range. Add a little baking soda to the bottle and continue to fill up the bottel to about 3 inches from the top. After mixed shake it every couple hours. I get a good co2 level after prolly 10 hours and it produces for about two weeks. hope this helps

Josh
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
Fill the bottle about 1/3 of the way full with cold tap water. Add sugar. Shake. Shake it like a Polaroid. Add yeast. Shake it. Shake shake it. Fill up with water to desired level.
I believe you need to use lukewarm water to activate the yeast? Cold water might work, but it won't dissolve the sugar as readily so I don't see a reason to use it. Just don't kill the yeast with hot water. Temperatures that are similiar to when you wash your hands in "warm" water will suffice.

It sounds like you may have a leak, if you are getting progressively less CO2 being generated. Try soap-water solution and some air pressure on a closed system. Also, how are you confirming that your solution is weaker? The room temperature will play a factor, I know in winter my CO2 will go dormant unless I use a reptile heating pad.

On a related note, can anyone answer water's role in a DIY CO2 generator? I see so much discussion around yeast, sugar solutions, but not much on the water. My main question is related to the original post in that does the water/sugar solution become less or more effective depending on the sugar saturation? Will a highly saturated solution "suffocate" the yeast and not allow it to digest sugar? Is it better to have a less saturated solution? For example, in a 1L bottle, I usually use about 2 cups of sugar, and just enough water to dissolve the sugar (approx 3-3.5 cups ? ). Is this less effective than 2 cups of sugar and 10 cups of water in a 2L bottle?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I don't think there is any leaks. how can I check? I think it is my room temperature.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I spent months fiddling with my CO2 thinking I was useless until I found a tiny little hole in my line. My cats had chewed on the line, and it made all the difference...one minute hole will kill your flow...

One other thing to consider may be your yeast, I got a jar of yeast from the grocery store once, and all the yeast was basically dead...it wasn't my fault but the yeast was all dead in the jar, so maybe try getting some fresh yeast...

like I said, I fiddled with the recipe, and found one that works great...my setup is simple too...I have a 29 gallon, 2x2litre bottles running through a T connector and a check valve into a reactor in the tank..I have the bottles staggered by a week, so there is relatively homogeneous flow of gas. I boil a bunch of water, pour it into a 4 cup measuring cup and add a cup of sugar and stir it with a fork, making sure to keep the fork in there. This dissolves the sugar, and kills the bacteria that are in your tap water, and there ARE bacteria in your tap water...I also fill a one cup measuring cup with this boiling water...I let this sit for a few hours...and when its cooled down to barely warmer than room temp I add my yeast to the one cup measuring cup, and stir with the fork that was in the sugar water...let this sit for 10 mins, and stir it up and pour it into the bottle, mix it up and put my lid on. stirring with the sugary fork puts a little bit of sugar in the yeast water, which seems to help with the aerobic activation of the yeast...I run this into my reactor which doubles as a bubble counter, and I get 30 ppm consistently.

Fluval PEEEEMP #9
Fluval 205
2xAC30 + AC MINI (it's Hagen; close enough!)
EHEIM 2215
CO2 stuff c/o REX

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post

Awww man! Now I have that song stuck in my head!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Phanizzle, I would close up your system and close the end of your CO2 tubing. Just place your finger on the end of the tube firmly. This way you can squeeze on the bottle, and no CO2 should be moving. You should only be able to compress the bottle a small amount...you should not be able to keep squeezing the bottle smaller unless there is a leak.

Add soapy water on all the joints and seals. Repeat the process above if you suspect a leak after adding the soap water.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Does anyone have thoughts on the sugar:water ratio? Does the saturation affect the length of CO2 production? Although related to the original post, I will post this question into a new thread if no answers come up.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
The yeast will convert sugar to alcohol which will kill the yeast at high levels. You can add 1 cup or so sugar to a 2 liter bottle. I had three bottles running al connected together. I would change out one bottle every week. This helped to maintain a more constant level.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
It seems to me that people are tending to put too much water in their mix,and maybe too much sugar to yeast ratio.I have the Hydor system which has a small container,16 or 20 oz.I use 1 cup of sugar,1/2 tsp of yeast and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda,and this is sure an active mix,generation bubbles in about 1/2 hour,averaging out at about a bubble per second for about a 2 week period.I put some lukewarm water into the container and add the sugar,baking soda,and then shake.I put the yeast in a cup with a small amount of warm water and stir it until it dissolves in the water.Then I add this to the container and fill the container to nearly the top with more warm water.....Finished in about 5 minutes or less.

I store my yeast in the freezer,and clean the container well until I cannot smell the alcohol when I make a new solution.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lescarpentier, it's good to know that someone else is also successful using so little water. Like I said, I use a 1L bottler, 2 cups of sugar, and 1/2 tsp of yeast.

I was concerned that this solution was so saturated or dense that it was restricting the CO2 production. Joetee brings up a very good point that the alchohol could kill off the yeast. Does anyone know if that's a real probability in my mix or Lescarpentier's mix? Could these solutions work better if we used twice as much water instead for example?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
seeing that my my 5 cups of water are still sticky and sweet after 2 weeks suggests that the sugar was not all consumed, so I cant see more sugar doing a better job...(my recipe is described above) but I can see more water helping since the yeast, bakers in my case, dies at around 6 % alcohol content, more water would just allow for more alcohol production before that 6% was reached..

Fluval PEEEEMP #9
Fluval 205
2xAC30 + AC MINI (it's Hagen; close enough!)
EHEIM 2215
CO2 stuff c/o REX

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 04:48 AM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9am53 View Post
seeing that my my 5 cups of water are still sticky and sweet after 2 weeks suggests that the sugar was not all consumed, so I cant see more sugar doing a better job...(my recipe is described above) but I can see more water helping since the yeast, bakers in my case, dies at around 6 % alcohol content, more water would just allow for more alcohol production before that 6% was reached..
I didn't see how much yeast that you add.if you use more water then it only makes sense that you would add more yeast,especially if your sugar is not being consumed.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode