Budget Tools for DIY Cabinet - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Budget Tools for DIY Cabinet

Hi DIY Gurus,

I would like to know what affordable tools are necessary to have when planning to build a simple "butt joint" cabinet ala ADA style?

Here's my issue. Where I live, Retail Hardware's do not provide "table saw" cutting services. Therefore, it is hard(almost impossible) to have a perpendicular 90 degrees cut piece of 1"x3" hardwood to make a proper "butt join" using wood glue and screws(drilled).

Please try not suggest a table saw as I would need a routing table of sorts and that would be costly.

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback!

-----------------
Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

I am not sure exactly what you are asking. Anyway, I hope this might help.

You say you have access to a router table? If so, you can use a router to square up any edges that might not be exactly straight.

A hand held circular saw with a shooting board (a simple to make jig; ask if you are not familiar with that term) can make pretty straight cuts.

As far as making the butt joints themselves, if you do not want visible screw holes, I would suggest looking at a pocket hole jig. Or perhaps even a biscuit joiner (more expensive than the PHJ, but perhaps more useful if you plan on making more items in the future).
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jart View Post
I am not sure exactly what you are asking. Anyway, I hope this might help.

You say you have access to a router table? If so, you can use a router to square up any edges that might not be exactly straight.
Many thanks for the reply. Sorry for the confusing statement. I do not have a router table. So my exact question rephrased would be "What budget powertools can a first time woodworker obtain in order to make a simple cabinet? And would the tools suggested, make perfect straight cuts for a simple butt join?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jart View Post
A hand held circular saw with a shooting board (a simple to make jig; ask if you are not familiar with that term) can make pretty straight cuts.
I am not familiar with this, if you could provide a link with pictures, that would be very much appreciated.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can make a pretty good cut using a quick square(if you don't know google it) as a guide. Hold the square on the board to be cut and run the foot of the saw along the blade of the square. If you can't find a square you can make a guide that will do the same.
Jart had some good ideas for joinery but are they available to you and within your budget? Butt joints alone are pretty weak and screws are ok for holding things together while the glue dries. Good old mortise and tenon works well but are difficult, you could look at dowels, half-lap joints. Goolgle these things and look at some pictures and see what you can figure out? good luck!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use either a miter box and hand saw or a straight strip of wood and a couple of clamps and my circular saw to get a straight cut (I am looking to get a table saw soon).

With the wood strip and clamps, you just have to measure the offset of the blade to the line where you want to cut to use the wood to guide the saw. I use a straight 6 or 8' piece of 1x2. It may take a little fiddling at first until to get the correct distance to clamp the wood. This method is good for ripping ply.

The miter box works good for cuts on the type of 1"x3" stock you are talking about.

I built my stand and canopy with this method.

75g 3 T8s 2x OD, XP3, pres. CO2,
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to JHipkin
Most lumber yards will cut to your specifications. Buy a sheet of 1/2 MDF and give them a cut list. Be sure they know that you will be assembling a cabinet from the cut pieces and they will take extra care.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
I really like using a biscuit joiner or dowels to attach the face of the cabinet. It's near impossible to hide finish nails if you go that route. The dowels shouldn't be too pricey. All you need is a decent drill and a dowel jig.

You could try clamping a straight edge to the boards to guide a circular saw if you don't have access to a table saw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A circular saw and a square will be helpful for basic woodworking. Here is a link. Be sure and read both pages. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...s/1303011.html

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

As others have suggested, you can use a circular saw and a straight edge and get decent results! Although, I like the shooting board as when you lay the jig on your piece of wood, you know exactly where your cut is going to be made.

I found a video of such a jig on the internet.
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...-tablesaw.aspx

Basically the jig is just one piece of wood screwed on top of another. The top piece serves as the edge guide for the saw, so the edge of the top piece must be perfectly straight! After securing the two pieces, the saw is then used to trim off the excess on the bottom board. You now have a jig that will provide accurate cuts. But I should add, it will only work with YOUR circular saw and the blade that you use to cut the jig.

This is difficult to explain (although the jig is very simple), so I would suggest watch the video, then come back and read my post.

To keep costs down, and if you are dead set on hiding all your screw holes, I might also suggest another method of joinery. You can buy a set of bits to use with your drill that will serve as countersinks and plug cutters. So, when you drill your screw holes, countersink them. Then cut plugs out of a scrap piece of wood, and use the plugs (and glue) to fill your countersunk holes. Once the plugs are sanded, it is very hard to see them. Or, for a different look, you can cut your plugs out of a wood that is very different from the wood you are using for the main part of the assembly.

Other suggestions you have received are very good.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the guides guys. Will do some reading. The "wooden plank clamp guide" method is way cool. Maybe I will try just that. As for the joints, I guess I will stick to the butt join being a newbie. Will post my re-designed Sketch up drawing soon, for fellow newbies alike to digest!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

DON"T use MDF or particle board where water is present! It turns into a sponge when it contacts water. Many cheap stands and furniture are made with them but they won't last long. Do it right the first time!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaakapong View Post
DON"T use MDF or particle board where water is present! It turns into a sponge when it contacts water. Many cheap stands and furniture are made with them but they won't last long. Do it right the first time!
When treated correctly (sealed) it can work with good results. BUT why have the worry of something happening maybe? I agree with you on the don't use particle board or MDF.

Also, does anyone near you do woodworking or have the tools sitting around their garage? Maybe they would be willing to lend them to you or do it with you/for you. It shouldn't take too long to get a few cuts. (unless you have a father with the attitude that if its 1 millionth of a nanometer off it still needs work...)

-Andrew
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
What size tank are you planning on building? Length, width, height?

I am thinking you could probably get by with a circular saw, some clamps, and some hand tools like a miter box. You could build a very decent stand with those tools.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Its different here, we dont have home woodworking garages like you guys do in the States. People here are lazy I would say. So the only option is to go to a cabinetry workshop in which a cutting of woodplanks will cost you close to 2USD per measurement.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiAb0|oS View Post
Its different here, we dont have home woodworking garages like you guys do in the States. People here are lazy I would say. So the only option is to go to a cabinetry workshop in which a cutting of woodplanks will cost you close to 2USD per measurement.
So what are you saying? You don't have a place to put this together, or you don't have any tools to work on this project? Or something else? LOL

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode