Kobalt Mini Air regulator - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Kobalt Mini Air regulator

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...126-KBA10700AV

so, I found this thing at LOWES... Is it a true regulator or just a valve? It has a solid metal body like a regulator.

If it'll work as a regulator, I'm thinking of attaching it to a 20oz, tool/paintball tank. However, the opening to the 20oz tank is too big for the regulator. I think the tank's opening is 3/4" (male) and the biggest opening on the regulator is 1/4" (female) . Where can I find a reducing coupling/valve (nut?) for this?

here's the tank.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...B10&lpage=none

thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 01:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
No that will not work, it is for air compressor. It was not designed for pressure that great (around 800 psi). It would properly explode and injure you. But this here would work. And it comes with tank I think. I have seen it for 59.99 on sale at Lowes.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Do you guys assemble your own regulators?
Where do you find the parts?

I'm looking at Beer CO2 regulators. They're on average 30% less expensive than what you get for aquariums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Algae Grower

Ya, it is the same thing. You even could go to welding supply store. Really Cheap there. They might even have adapter for 20oz.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I'm looking at Beer CO2 regulators. They're on average 30% less expensive than what you get for aquariums.
Seems you can mark up anything by printing "Aquarium" on it. The silicone sealant in the pet section of a Walmart is priced about $1.00 more than the silicone in the automotive section.

And yes, Aquarium regulators are just beer/beverage CO2 regulators.

Tank: 40 Gallon Breeder w/Eco Complete ||
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
That's what I did. I combed the net for the cheapest Cornelius I could find, somewhere around $30 on ebay. Most of the other parts came from Home Depot and Rex. I think the ending price including canister was around $110 after I put a stupid Clippard NV w/ LPR on the regulator, nowadays I'd put a Fabco on and save even more money for better quality.

The regs are cheap enough at the right places, the adapter is like a dollar at Home Depot, so is the pipe dope. Grab the rest of the parts and build instructions from Rex and you should be able to build the entire setup for less than $130 as long as you don't get ripped on the canister. Hook up a swap out deal w/ a welding supplier for that. Or you can find one of those paintball tanks with the standard CGA-320 threads, but it won't last as long and may or may not be easy for you to get it refilled locally.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 PM

Please pardon my ignorance, but here goes ... If I pick up a tank and regulator at Lowes referenced in rekabrekab's post, fit an adapter to the outlet of the regulator, run airline to a bubble counter and continue the airline to the inlet of my return pump it should work?

I am skeptical that this regulator could be adjusted to release just a few bubbles per second. Would the above described setup be more prone to "tank blow-out" (can't remember the exact phrase) as the tank nears empty?

Place AQUARIUM on it and double the price ... that is why I buy my filter socks in the paint department!

Thank you in advance.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankyTexan View Post
If I pick up a tank and regulator at Lowes ... fit an adapter to the outlet of the regulator, run airline to a bubble counter and continue the airline to the inlet of my return pump it should work?

I am skeptical that this regulator could be adjusted to release just a few bubbles per second.
You would also need a needle valve to fine tune the bubble rate and, by the time you bought that, and the necessary adapters, you will have spent more than you would have on a conventional regulator.

Tank: 40 Gallon Breeder w/Eco Complete ||
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Oh yeah, my total cost included a solenoid, so you can knock another 20 or 30 dollars off without one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode