design for sump with low co2 loss? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
design for sump with low co2 loss?

I am planning on building a sump and plumbing it in my basement with the tank on the first floor. I know co2 off gasing can be an issue. Does anyone know of a sump design that minimizes off gassing, particularly were the water dumps in. I may need to slow it down with less splashing. the trickle portion will obviously be the first to go.

90 gallon planted rainbow fish/ community tank, pressurized C02, 2.8 wpg cf, eco-complete,

1-20 gallon breeding/growout
2-15 gallon breeding/growout
4-10 gallon breeding/growout

currently breeding hi fin red eye swordtails, kribensis, orange platys, trying others
DIY central sump filter w/auto water changing and auto water top off, DIY in-line co2 reactor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
first off... you will see a lot of surface agitation at the overflow... One idea I had for keeping the co2 the outgasses when it falls down the standpipe/whatever is to use a 90 degree plumbing piece pointing down... i'm studying right now so it's hard for me to explain... if you need more let me know...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Planted Member

here is a crude sketchup... i'm really new at it soo forgive the wire frame...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Planted Member

i really want to avoid studying ha...

here is a simple sump design i thought of... basically you could use egg crate or something along those lines in between the white baffles and fill it with foam pads/bioballs/whatever. Make sure the intake pipe is always below the sumps waterline... and probably cover it as best you can. This is my take on a low co2 loss sump design

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
My overflow is already there it is a drilled bottom tank (oceanic with the megaflow). I'm gonna compile the ideas I get for the building of the sump.

90 gallon planted rainbow fish/ community tank, pressurized C02, 2.8 wpg cf, eco-complete,

1-20 gallon breeding/growout
2-15 gallon breeding/growout
4-10 gallon breeding/growout

currently breeding hi fin red eye swordtails, kribensis, orange platys, trying others
DIY central sump filter w/auto water changing and auto water top off, DIY in-line co2 reactor.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Planted Member

check out this thread for a bunch of different overflow styles

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...howtopic=69372

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Planted Member

The key is having the water empty from the tank as far below the surface in the sump as possible. I have PVC pipes that run to the bottom of the sump. Minimizing turbulence in the overflow also helps, but you can't completely make it go away.

David
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Completely seal the sump. Put a lid on the opening of the sump and duct tape it closed. If you make your own sump, design the in flow with a bulkhead and the return with a uni-seal. For the tank side try a stockman style overflow or the above mentioned 90 deg elbow turned down. I have several sumps running and have no problem maintaining CO2 levels.

Good luck

Chris
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Here is a pic of my DIY 29g sump. water comes out about 6-8" below water line and through a 100 micon sock.

Craig
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
oh yeah water level is low in this pic as I had just changed the water.

Craig
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Hi Craig,

Need to get the sock down below the top of trim. Then find your local plastic dealer and have them cut a piece of 3/8" acrylic that matches the OD of the tank trim. Get bulkheads to match your plumbing and drill the Acrylic with hole saw from Home Depot or Lowes. To seal the lid use window/door weather stripping. Clean the top of the trim well and stick window trim to tank trim. This will create a good seal and make removing the cover for maintenance easy. Small holes (maybe 1/4") need to be drilled for the electrical components. Once the sump is sealed up it can have positive pressure and the overflow sealed can have negative pressure(suction, maybe enough to break the overflow siphon). The way around this is to run a piece of tubing(3/8" not airline tubing) from the sump to the top of the sealed overflow to equalize pressure.

I've done three like yours and they work well.

Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode